Your thoughts on underwater caches.

I live near the St. Abbs & Eyemouth Voluntary Marine Reserve which encompasses an area of coast very popular with scuba divers. Therefore I have been giving the idea of an underwater cache some thought.

I am aware of underwater caches in America and Northern France. However do any underwater caches currently exist (I've been unable to find an references in the database) in Britain?

One possible advantage of an underwater cache is that it would attract Scuba Divers into the sport of Geocaching as most scuba divers own a GPS receiver (having more money that sense). However how many Geocachers would be attracted to Scuba Diving?

Has anyone here actually attempted an underwater cache? One problem of an underwater cache is that it would involve a lot of maintenance, therefore virtual caches maybe a better option.

Your comments and ideas would be welcome.

LoL....Wont it just take you to the general vacinity where you then have to duck under and dive to the cache icon_smile.gif classic.

I have seen one near America where you hvae to dive down to a wreck..

What if they can't find it and run out of Air Supply? rush to the top then get the bends....now that would be one hard hard cache.

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

I was going to have a virtual cache in Majorca. I was going to have it in an underwater cavern that has air in the top but is not directly open to the atmosphere. The result of this is that as the water level in the cavern changes through wave action the air changes from clear to mist, it is quite a sight. See HERE for more details.

I decided not to leave an actual cache anywhere as "littering" the marine environment is extremely frowned upon as it should be.

I then decided against the virtual cache as well for several reasons.

1. I was concerned that non trained people could attempt the cache and could claim that they were encouraged to do this by the cache being placed.

2. To attempt the cache you really would need to spend at least half a day with a dive club and there are only two in this area. It would probably have been necessary to leave contact details for the dive clubs and this might have been deemed as advertising.

3. I had a cache archived once because of a $7.00 fee to take a lift to a vantage point and having to pay about £40.00 for half a days diving could well lead to the same problem.

Having said all that I think it's a great idea if one is created in this country and would definitely try and give it a go.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by The Wombles:

Phredd had an underwater cache in the UK called http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=11439, you had to pull it out of the canal.

I thought it worked well in it's surroundings but it suffered the fate of all underwater caches - water got in.

Dave

I visited Teasel's Cache Liable To Flooding today it has been there for four months and is in perfect condition. It is always under at least six inches of water and apparently through most of the winter it would have been under 12-18 inches of water.

Just shows that this can be done but this cache is very well prepared, the bag the cache is in is fantastic and seals really well.

Dave

Yes, it's in one of those Ortlieb map cases. We trawled the Brecon gear shops for 'waterproof' map cases and, unfortunately, the Ortlieb was the only one which passed the "fill with air, squeeze hard and hold" test.

It does rely on the finder being very careful to close it properly. However, with only one find in the last four months, this has not been a problem!

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

Yes, it's in one of those Ortlieb map cases. We trawled the Brecon gear shops for 'waterproof' map cases and, unfortunately, the Ortlieb was the only one which passed the "fill with air, squeeze hard and hold" test.

Yes, I have one of those Ortlieb cases and they are brilliant - they feel really nice too!!! icon_redface.gif