What makes this a GPS Compass ?

JasonW

I was just idly surfing when I noticed this page with something that claimed to be "The perfect choice for the GPS-owner"

My obvious question is - why is that model in particular "The perfect choice for the GPS-owner" ? Looks as if it has all the 'normal' characteristics of a plate compass - to my untrained eye at least.

Answers on a postcard please......

6279_200.jpg

the templates are very easy to make your self, all you need is a couple of strips of stiff card or some thin plastic, both about 60 cm. long and 2 cm. wide. you then just need to cut a strip out of the centre and mark off lines to suit

1:25 000 and 1:50 000 , the one I made I cut a strip out of the centre and cut a piece of plastic the shape of an arrow then a spacer and a piece on the back, it slides along quite well

cost is £2 and takes an hour of your time up,

quote:
Originally posted by chuffer:

I think you will find it has a little knobble on the end which is specifically designed for prising out AA batteries from your GPS thus ensuring no more broken or cracked fingernails.

Hmmm but £25 worth of broken compass icon_wink.gif ??

6279_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by chuffer:

I think you will find it has a little knobble on the end which is specifically designed for prising out AA batteries from your GPS thus ensuring no more broken or cracked fingernails.

Hmmm but £25 worth of broken compass icon_wink.gif ??

6279_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

the templates are very easy to make your self, all you need is a couple of strips of stiff card or some thin plastic, both about 60 cm. long and 2 cm. wide. you then just need to cut a strip out of the centre and mark off lines to suit

1:25 000 and 1:50 000 , the one I made I cut a strip out of the centre and cut a piece of plastic the shape of an arrow then a spacer and a piece on the back, it slides along quite well

Sorry but you are mistaken... the best way is to bleat at Moss Trooper long enough and he goes and buys you one to shut you up icon_smile.gif

Eh Moss? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

Sorry but you are mistaken... the best way is to bleat at Moss Trooper long enough and he goes and buys you one to shut you up icon_smile.gif

Eh Moss? icon_biggrin.gif

Well,

I was intrigued by this so I emailed Silva in in the UK and asked them :

"I have noted that your product SILVA ECLIPSE 96 GPS advertising says that it is "The perfect choice for the GPS-owner".

Please can you tell me why this particular compass is any more perfect choice over any other compass ?"

I recieved no reply so I emailed Silva in Sweeden. This time I got a reply almost immediately saying "We ask you kindly to contact our representative in UK:".

Ok, so I sent Silva UK another email, still no response, so I guess they just dont know.

I also guess they don't know that we are taking the mickey either.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

Well,

I was intrigued by this so I emailed Silva in in the UK and asked them :

"I have noted that your product SILVA ECLIPSE 96 GPS advertising says that it is "The perfect choice for the GPS-owner".

Please can you tell me why this particular compass is any more perfect choice over any other compass ?"

I recieved no reply so I emailed Silva in Sweeden. This time I got a reply almost immediately saying "We ask you kindly to contact our representative in UK:".

Ok, so I sent Silva UK another email, still no response, so I guess they just dont know.

I also guess they don't know that we are taking the mickey either.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Well I finally emailed Silva in Sweeden again explaining that this was the fourth email to them asking for info but had only recieved one reply (as detailed above).

I got a reply as follows :

quote:

---------------------------------

Dear Tim,

I am very sorry to see in which way our company has treated (or not treated) your e-mail considering this. The reason that this compass is very suitable for the GPS user is the variation of romer scales on the base plate (which are used for plotting positions on a grid reference system on the map (such as UTM/OSGB Grid etc). Furthermore it comes with a special Lat/lon template to plot positions on a Lat/Lon map in different scales.

This is what make this product well suited for the GPS user.

Best Regards

Christer Svensson

Product Manager

Sounds like a load of old tosh to me.

Over to you guys who know what a map is (I've got an A to Z of London, does it count) to pass comment. Enjoy. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

Well I finally emailed Silva in Sweeden again explaining that this was the fourth email to them asking for info but had only recieved one reply (as detailed above).

I got a reply as follows :

quote:

Dear Tim,

I am very sorry to see in which way our company has treated (or not treated) your e-mail considering this. The reason that this compass is very suitable for the GPS user is the variation of romer scales on the base plate (which are used for plotting positions on a grid reference system on the map (such as UTM/OSGB Grid etc). Furthermore it comes with a special Lat/lon template to plot positions on a Lat/Lon map in different scales.

This is what make this product well suited for the GPS user.

Best Regards

Christer Svensson

Product Manager

Sounds like a load of old tosh to me.

Over to you guys who know what a map is (I've got an A to Z of London, does it count) to pass comment. Enjoy. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

The guy obviously has the same Sat Nav system I have in my Ford Mondeo. I tried a trip the other day. For those that know Reading I was on the

Queens St. and the route was to go down the A329M

It gave a route that went Left in to Watlington St

Up the Forbury along Forbury road all the way round the roundabout at Vasten Rd. and back down Forbury road and The Forbury and then left into Kings Road.

Why not Watlington St and right into Kings Road

I don't know.

On the return Journey It gave the distance for

the "Shortest Time" route as 52.4 Miles but the

Distance for the "Shortest Distance" route was

a meer 64.2 Miles. icon_rolleyes.gif

Give me a map and Compass any day.

To

There are 10 sorts of people

Those that understand binary and those that don't

The guy obviously has the same Sat Nav system I have in my Ford Mondeo. I tried a trip the other day. For those that know Reading I was on the

Queens St. and the route was to go down the A329M

It gave a route that went Left in to Watlington St

Up the Forbury along Forbury road all the way round the roundabout at Vasten Rd. and back down Forbury road and The Forbury and then left into Kings Road.

Why not Watlington St and right into Kings Road

I don't know.

On the return Journey It gave the distance for

the "Shortest Time" route as 52.4 Miles but the

Distance for the "Shortest Distance" route was

a meer 64.2 Miles. icon_rolleyes.gif

Give me a map and Compass any day.

To

There are 10 sorts of people

Those that understand binary and those that don't

That Ford thing reminds me vaguely of an old version of Autoroute (think it was the first Win 95 compatible one) - if you had a route that passed J1 of the M6 it used to turn off the M6, do a lap of the Coventry ring road before rejoining the M6 at J1 - most entertaining

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

I do have a different version of this same compass. I don't think it has the grid scales and all that (which I wouldn't use anyway), BUT this compass is handy in several respects. 1) it has an adjustable deviation so you can adjust it to true north 2) it fits well in your hand and is easy to rotate the bazel for single hand operation 3)it has a unique system were you match up the floating circle with the 'N' 4) it has a nice method for easily selecting the bearing you wish to follow.

Works for me. I like it. Don't sell it short just due to overselling it's features.

2573_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

3)it has a unique system were you match up the floating circle with the 'N'

I've seen that feature on more than one compass - by more than one manufacturer - hardly qualifies as unique - novel maybe (the first time)

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

I dont know about the rest of you but we always carry and use a compass when we geocache. we are in Western Australia and we first use the compass when we get out of the car to know which way to move first (if the GPS is starting cold from that point). then when we get in close and just cant find the place we move back and use a comapss reading to make sure we are going the right way mfor sure. Mostly this is in thich scrub (bush) or hilly areas where the GPS tends to go all error prone. I think the main probem the Swedes had was a language one after all it is your English language. Were glad its ours too. Just been watching the "Queens Golden Jubblies"....or is that "Jubilie"...Nice old girl isnt she. Wish her all the best in the future shes had such a hard time of it lately . Lyn Pat and Nathan. Hope to be there next year to look for some of your caches

If you set you GPS to give you the location in UTM and you have a topo map that matches the scales on the compass you then measure out the readings from the GPS and plot them on your map so you can see where exactly your location is.

I use my mine compass all the time to plot a location be fore I go and to to see where I am.

I can take a topo map and pick a spot and then enter in it into my GPS to make the way point and off I go.

This is one of the best compasses to use and work olong with a GPS that I have found.

I forgot to mention to understand all this you have to a basic understanding of a map and compass before you can see the benefits of this compass.

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm