'Gadjet Junkies' only

Nia

We want to get an in-car dvd player and would like advice on what is best to buy and where to buy it.

we have 5 children and we do a lot of travelling in our Renault Espace, we want somethig that all 5 will be able to watch, probably roof mounted.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it is in the 'toys for boys'section along with all GPS stuff.

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

We want to get an in-car dvd player and would like advice on what is best to buy and where to buy it.

Go look on the Halfords site. My colleague got one recently... they do a car DVD, with optional LCD screen(s).

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

Wombles.

Sue is the only one that gets motion sick, so we make her drive.

Paul

Thanks, Halfords is top of my list atm

they do a 6.5" for £324 order only.

I'm hoping for a few other options

has anyone ever used one?

Tech-no notice

never seen the point in an in car DVD player or anything ofthe sort really....I am a gadget junky but I think cars should be for driving...esudes that on an LCD screen DVDs arent as good becuase of the failure of light as you move around it, the thin film transistor isnt always gives me this trouble on mine at home. DVD on a Notebook also gives this problem...and 6.5 inchs....is it really worth it??

Your more likely to crash with the movie playing.

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

The first time I saw Harry Potter was on a tiny screen in the aeroplane on the way back from Jordan. Since the flight was five hours long, even this was better than no screen at all.

I was at the motor show last week, and virtually all the people carriers on display had some sort of screen for the rear passengers (for computer games or DVD). They all had darkened glass in the windows, which helped stop the light problem. The Toyota Previa also had a head up display for the driver to watch too. icon_smile.gif

If I owned a people carrier (which is extremely unlikely ever to happen), I would insist that any DVD system had headphones for sound because I can't imagine anything more distracting than driving along and being able to hear the film soundtrack and not being able to watch.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

In answer to Geo Weasel.

Driving while watching a DVD would be very dangerous and illegal.

We spend 5 months of the year in France, in our Barn. There is NO television, Computers or Phone.

The kids all love it, and dont miss tele at all. But when we go out in the car they get very bored. The DVD is to make shopping trips and the long drives less boring. they certainly wont mind a small screen.

I hope you can see why we want a DVD in the car.

and one day if you have kids you will understand even more.

Anyone found anywhere better than Halfords yet?

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

Indeed, that is EXACTLY why my colleague bought it! His kids are kept well occupied!

Paul

Team Blitz

When our kids were young, there was no such thing as DVD players, let alone something they could watch in the car.

We just relied on our ingenuity to keep the kids quiet.

A gag and a pair of handcuffs worked a treat.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

We just relied on our ingenuity to keep the kids quiet.

When we were young el10t and I used to play pub cricket. The object was that the batting "team" scored runs based on the number of legs in the pub name. If there were no legs then you lost a batsman (you had three). So the Dog and Duck would score 6 but the Crown would cause one of your batsmen to be out.

Things got interesting when we passed the Shepherd and Flock. The bowling team would claim that it scored 10 (assuming that a flock had to contain at least two sheep). The batting team would claim the standard biblical flock size i.e. a score of 402.

The game usually would end soon after that.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

LoL Jeremy! I remember that game, but we didnt use Cricket, just added together the scores.

I always lost because of the pub near my house being the Bucks Yeoman...I never had it on my side so my brother had 6points more than me the scamp.

Then there was the Pidd's Arms...which is subsequently in my house in the conservatory....(NO joke!) so I would claim that one saying we drive past it already on the way to the house before the Yeoman...therefore I would win by the skin of my teeth.

But yes the Crown and the Bell were always a bit of a git.

As regards to the DVD player...OFCOURSE I WASNT meaning the driver would be watching it...I meant with it playing in the background the voices would distract him.

Another great car game is Timmy Mallet using a teddy bear...

OK I'll start. with GEOCACHE....

hehe

Pid

At last.

Thanks Moss Trooper.

This is the sort of idea i'm after.

I can get a standard DVD for £65. I allready have a tele we could use, or i can get a used flat screen monitor for £50.

So what is an inverter, I'm guessing something to get 230 volts from 12. and i know nothing about amps.....

so more help needed

By the way we play all of those games and a few dozen others, But Sue and I like a break from games....

One of the games we play in france each child gets a make of car.

the four makes being:-

Renault/2

Citroen

Peogeot

Everything else. (mostly German)

the kids then have to see who can spot the most in their group, Renault usually wins even with /2

Try this with English cars in Englandicon_smile.gif

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

LoL Jeremy! I remember that game, but we didnt use Cricket, just added together the scores.

I always lost because of the pub near my house being the Bucks Yeoman...I never had it on my side so my brother had 6points more than me the scamp.

Then there was the Pidd's Arms...which is subsequently in my house in the conservatory....(NO joke!) so I would claim that one saying we drive past it already on the way to the house before the Yeoman...therefore I would win by the skin of my teeth.

But yes the Crown and the Bell were always a bit of a git.

As regards to the DVD player...OFCOURSE I WASNT meaning the driver would be watching it...I meant with it playing in the background the voices would distract him.

[Another great car game is Timmy Mallet using a teddy bear...]

OK I'll start. with GEOCACHE....

hehe

Pid

I have to ask... Just what the heck is Timmy Mallet?

Oh... and have you ever thought of sending the kids on ahead with Grand Parents, Aunts, Uncles or even DHL?

OK, I'm getting there.

I can get an inverter, to power my ordinary DVD player, I've also got a flat screen Monitor.

QUESTION icon_confused.gif

DVD is digital, a monitor is digital, but can i connect the 2 together, and if so HOW icon_confused.gif

onto the last idea for the kids. All relatives Refuse point-blank to help.

waiting on a reply from DHL icon_razz.gif

Tech-no notice

Timmy Mallett!

Its a game where you have to say a related word so say for instance I say...

COW

you gotta say FIELD or GRASS or MILK or something related..

Catch is you have to say it quickly,,, take longer than 3secinds and you get a blow over the head with Timmy's Mallet! or in our case a Time and June bear for caching sake. hehe...Sorry T+J icon_wink.gif

so like I said....I'll start with...

Geo Cache...

icon_biggrin.gif

Pid

quote:

OK, I'm getting there.

I can get an inverter, to power my ordinary DVD player, I've also got a flat screen Monitor.

_QUESTION_ icon_confused.gif

DVD is digital, a monitor is digital, but can i connect the 2 together, and if so HOW icon_confused.gif

onto the last idea for the kids. All relatives Refuse point-blank to help.

waiting on a reply from DHL icon_razz.gif

Tech-no notice

The DVD is a digital format but is converted to an analogue output by the player. This would normally be SCART or normal aerial output (SCART is better quality, aerial is modulated/demodulated to radio frequencies and therefore poorer quality.

Big question: Is your flat screen monitor for a computer? If so, there's no easy way to convert the input.

The invertor will have to be meaty to run this lot. They are rated in power (Watts) so for 300Watt invertor divide by the voltage you want to use it at ie mains (240V average) = 1.2Amps. Probably not enough for DVD and screen.

You can get an 800Watt invertor (3Amps) but at this power it definitely needs to be wired direct from the battery (cigarette sockets would get too hot from the current at 12Volts and overheat).

So on balance, you can rig this sort of system with a suitable screen (probably a real TV) but realistically only when static.

quote:
You can get an 800Watt invertor (3Amps) but at this power it definitely needs to be wired direct from the battery (cigarette sockets would get too hot from the current at 12Volts and overheat).

So on balance, you can rig this sort of system with a suitable screen (probably a real TV) but realistically only when static.

If my maths is anywhere near right, an 800 watt inverter is gonna suck nearly 70 amps from a 12 volt battery and that assuming it's 100% efficient. Your going to have to connect it with starter motor cable and keep the engine running flat or you'l flatten the battery in about 10 minutes. Not a really practical solution I'm afraid icon_frown.gif

"Normal" people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

quote:
Originally posted by The Pharisee:

If my maths is anywhere near right, an 800 watt inverter is gonna suck nearly 70 amps from a 12 volt battery and that assuming it's 100% efficient. Your going to have to connect it with starter motor cable and keep the engine running flat or you'l flatten the battery in about 10 minutes. Not a really practical solution I'm afraid icon_frown.gif

Agreed; the 800watt invertor draws 70amps input and outputs 3amps at 240 Volts.

quote:
Originally posted by Moss Trooper:

Hows about the good ole I SPY books..

Another good game is "a to z on place names / any sign / numberplates.

Place names with Q and J and Z are fun to find (but they ARE there if you know where!!!!).

The driver can also join in on this game!

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

I seem to remember through the grey mists of time (and the fact that my brain aint what it used to be) that the the max output current of an alternator was 70 amps or so.

I guess this has improved but I wonder by how much. Is it possible that with the headlights, windscreen wipers and heater running the system might draw more current then the alternator can provide ? That would mean a flat battery even if the engine were running.

Mind you, I think Pharisee might be just a little off with the idea of connecting it with "starter motor cable". I think the current draw of a starter motor is about 300 amps and probably peaks at 3 or four times that.

I have seen somewhere a small digital to analogue converter (might have been Maplins) which alowed you to connect a TV to a computer, wonder if they do an analogue to digital version.

I bought an inverter (150 watt) for around £42 to run a laptop in the car. I have no idea of what the cost of a 800 watt unit might be.

How about buying a laptop ? Most newer laptops have DVD player built in and many will plug into your cigarette lighter. This might turn out to be a cheaper option in the end. I have seen some fairly cheep refurbished ones in the Micro Mart.

Good luck

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Great, thanks for the help so far.

The good news is that the DVD is only 14 watts

and the monitor is only 5 watts with a maximum of 30 watts.

I hope this means i only need the 150 watt inverter, and it will only need to pull about 20 watts most of the time.

Also one poible lcd moniter has the following spec.

Power 12v via AC Adapter

so this might not even need the inverter, true or false?

all your help is appreciated, and i'm learning all the time.

Paul

the a-z is the easiest game to play in the car. unfortunetely we have played it to death. Our kids know of by heart, girls and boys names, places, countries, pop groups, food, (no x for food)

Tech-no notice

quote:

Also one poible lcd moniter has the following spec.

Power 12v via AC Adapter

so this might not even need the inverter, true or false?

If the monitor needs a 12V supply then you can wire straight in to your cigarette lighter (you can get socket "doublers" for this from Maplin).

The power ratings are fine even if you use an AC adaptor for the monitor.

Have you checked the video input to the LCD monitor? If its a TV type socket (aerial or SCART) then you're away, if its a D-type connector then it's for PCs.

quote:

Nearly there except the moniter is a PC Moniter with a 'D' connector.

Tim + June mentioned a converter, does this exist can i get a scart to 'D' ?????

I'm off to the Maplin site

Tech-no notice

I'm not aware of a convertor that does this; these interfaces are completely electrically different and there may not be a large enough market to make it worthwhile.

However, you could buy a LCD screen which is cigar lighter powered to connect with your DVD player and therefore eliminate the need for a power invertor. Maplin have just reduced this 5.6" LCD screen from £200 to £150. 5.6" screen

(Incidentally T&J, you'll be delighted to know that Maplin's 150W invertor has just been reduced to £19.99; isn't that always the way)?

Thanks everbody especially Uncle Bulgaria.

I have now purchased the above mentioned 6.5 TV and Inverter to go with our existing DVD player.

a total cost of £169.98.

The cheepest i had found before was £324.99

Quite a saving

And NO you don't get a cut, but thanks

you can have a free holiday in France if you want....

Tech-no notice