Trouble uploading images

Hi-Tek

I've been trying to upload some visit images to 3 separate cache pages today. They are reported as having been uploaded successfully but, when I view them, the appear all garbled!

See http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/968708_200.jpg

for an example.

I've checked that the file size is below 100k and the files are in JPG format. I've tried deleting the complete log entry for my visit, re-submitted it & re-upload the image all with the same result.

I've even uploaded the images to my own home page and they view perfectly OK there.

Anyone any ideas what I can be doing wrong? This is so frustrating.

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

When you upload images the small image you see when you check the cache page soon afterwards looks awful. However after a short time the image is displayed ok. also if you click the image you will see a full size image as you intended. I was a bit dismayed when I first uploaded a photo and the small image was very blocky,I too thought something was wrong but checking later revealed things to be ok.

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

I've even uploaded the images to my own home page and they view perfectly OK there.

Can you give us a link? I don't know what the problem is, but I can think of some experiments I'd like to try with the original image.

http://www.SimonG.org

Hi Simon (et al)

I'm using IE 6.

I've just relooked at my image on the cache page and it's still c**p!

Here's a link to another copy of the image

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith-blackmore/beach%20hut.jpg

Cheers for your help

Keith

Hmm... seems I can upload it successfully. I'm also using IE6. It would be useful if you do exactly what I just did and see if it works for you:

1) Go to the picture on your site, right click on it, select 'Save Picture As...' and save it to your hard drive as 'beach hut.jpg'

2) Edit your user profile, scroll down to the section titled Photo (JPG files only) and click on the 'do so now' link. Upload the image you just saved.

3) Edit your profile again, and click on the 'do so now' link again. Images for this account should now include 'Beach hut'. Click on it and see if it displays correctly.

This should get us close to pinpointing the problem.

SimonG.org

quote:

Hmm... seems I can http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/64603_1700.jpg successfully. I'm also using IE6. It would be useful if you do _exactly_ what I just did and see if it works for you:

1) Go to the http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith-blackmore/beach%20hut.jpg, right click on it, select 'Save Picture As...' and save it to your hard drive as 'beach hut.jpg'

2) Edit your user profile, scroll down to the section titled _Photo (JPG files only)_ and click on the 'do so now' link. Upload the image you just saved.

3) Edit your profile again, and click on the 'do so now' link again. _Images for this account_ should now include 'Beach hut'. Click on it and see if it displays correctly.

This should get us close to pinpointing the problem.

Hi Simon

Thanks for your advice. I did what you asked and I now have a 'garbled' image under my user profile !!! Aren't computers just great?

Rgds

Keith

quote:

I did what you asked and I now have a 'garbled' image under my user profile !!!

This is weird. I was expecting that to work. We did exactly the same thing, with the same version of IE, and it worked fine for me but not for you. Er... help, someone! I have no idea what might be wrong now. icon_confused.gif

SimonG.org

Hi Simon

Thanks for your help. If it's any help - I don't seem to be able to delete images. I've just deleted the beach hut image and uploaded another image. On viewing all I see is the garbled beach hut image not the new one I've uploaded?????

Weird

We need to place a piccy on the relevant site to fully claim our 'find'! God knows what will happen if we try to post ourselves an Avatar?!?!?

Rgds

Keith

Anyway time for bed said Zedebee!

T

Maybe all your pictures are:-

"varied in appearance or character"

Try changing your username too:-

"Organised Crew"

see if that helps.

Seriously.

We had trouble recently with a virus that added code to lots of down and uploads, If you have the same virus it will be adding code to your .jpg files.

Just an idea.

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

We had trouble recently with a virus that added code to lots of down and uploads, If you have the same virus it will be adding code to your .jpg files.

I don't reckon that's it - the mangled image is 58027 bytes, whereas the one I uploaded successfully is 58695 bytes. If a virus had added code, presumably it would have gotten bigger. Still, it's definitely worth running a virus scan. If you don't have antivirus software, there's a free online scanner here.

SimonG.org

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

I don't reckon that's it - the mangled image is 58027 bytes, whereas the one I uploaded successfully is 58695 bytes. If a virus had added code, presumably it would have gotten bigger. Still, it's definitely worth running a virus scan. If you don't have antivirus software, there's a free online scanner http://housecall.trendmicro.com/.

I don't think it's caused by a virus either but just to be sure I've just done a check. There are no virii reported on the system (have latest virus signature file.

What I can't fathom out is why I can upload the image to my own site & it views OK but when uploading the self same file to the geocache pages they are garbled when viewed ????

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

My only suggestion would be to post a log on the cache page and instead of the picture just post the link to the one on your site.

I feel sure that Adam and Amy's dad would be happy with that.

icon_wink.gifThat is exactly what I did yesterday. I just tried uploading a picture of a cache we visited today with the same garbled result. I've now emailed Groundspeak to see if they can advise. I await their response with trepidation.

quote:

What I can't fathom out is why I can upload the image to my own site & it views OK but when uploading the self same file to the geocache pages they are garbled when viewed ????

I wonder !

Are you using any image compression software ?

It might be that GC.com also compresses images, and your method conflicts with the compression method used.

Perhaps it's worth trying a smaller sized image which remains under 100K without compression. See if that works. If it does, try changing your compression method.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

quote:

I wonder !

Are you using any image compression software ?

It might be that GC.com also compresses images, and your method conflicts with the compression method used.

Perhaps it's worth trying a smaller sized image which remains under 100K without compression. See if that works. If it does, try changing your compression method.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

But all JPG's are compressed images are they not? icon_confused.gif

quote:

But all JPG's are compressed images are they not?

Yes, but some programs may compress them in a slightly different way to others. Between downloading them from your camera and uploading them to the site, do you use any program to manipulate (ie resize) them? If so, what?

SimonG.org

Or (and I might well have got this wrong) don't service providers like AOL etc provide "auto compression" features to their software designed to save money on your phone bill (if you're still on dial-up). I think it compresses files inthe background before uploading them to make them smaller, whether they are jpegs or not.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

quote:

But all JPG's are compressed images are they not?

Yes, but some programs may compress them in a slightly different way to others. Between downloading them from your camera and uploading them to the site, do you use any program to manipulate (ie resize) them? If so, what?

I use Paint Shop Pro normally but have also tried IrfanView with the same result. Oh and I'm using NTL broadband.

I've just had an email from the support guys (that was quick!) asking me to attach some copies of the good & the bad files. I've done that and I'll let you all know if they come up with a solution. Thanks for all the suggestions everybody.

quote:

I've just had an email from the support guys (that was quick!) asking me to attach some copies of the good & the bad files. I've done that and I'll let you all know if they come up with a solution. Thanks for all the suggestions everybody.

Oh look, my Avatar has suddenly appeared and is also garbled icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Good Shepherds:

Do you connect to the web via a proxy server? (look in Tools->Internet Settings->Connection->LAN Settings to find out)

Checked that out and the answer is no.

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

There's and awful lot of white-space around this image. Have you tried cropping it to include only the image itself? I've no idea if it'll make any difference but...

The image you saw was one of the (many!) that I messed about with & tried uploading to the cache site. I've now replaced it with a 'proper' one. Thanks for pointing it out.

Note the skanky avatar has gone (for now!) icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

I liked the old Avatar accident or not it was unique icon_wink.gif

Thanks Merman - I've re-instated it (least I think it's the same one icon_confused.gif).

After much back & forthing I've also had a 'final' reply from the Groundspeak help person (Jeremy). It is copied below.

"Unfortunately I can't figure out why it isn't working. However, we are

moving to a new codebase which I believe will solve the problem. It will

be available by April/May."

Looks like I'll just have to wait and see what happens. icon_rolleyes.gif Meanwhile I'll just add URLs to any logs if I've a piccie to show.

icon_smile.gif