Caches accessible from Canal boats?

I recently returned to England for a holiday, but the majority of my time there was spent on a canal boat without alternative transport options. Is there any one out there who might want to plant a few caches accessible from the Canal system? Or make those already available somehow searchable with the words "canal" and which canal system? We did have fun playing with our gps and marking and mapping and tracing walks, but I couldn't easily find any caches to print out prior to our trip.

Next time, I will probably come more prepared and hide some of our own. We spend most of our time on the Grand Union/Oxford Canals (bottom of Calcutt locks to the knowledgable). I can even think of multiple virtual caches to attract people to some great areas of the canal to visit and walk on. Now that we live in Kansas City, MO-I really miss our regular narrow boat trips! We have begun doing geocaching as an alternative to get us out of the house at weekends!

The Kennet and Avon canal runs right through the middle of The Oracle Centre in Reading, where we have hidden a microcache, although you can't actually stop within the centre due to the currents.

A couple of the Cluedo caches are close to the Basingstoke Canal. There is also a cache called Canal Cache near to the canal in Wembley.

Richard

"Scarfields Dingle" GC58D2 near Alvechurch is next to a canal and the boat yard is close that has just opened a pub!

"Frank" GC29B6 north of Cambridge is just off the canal. Good Pub (The Bridge) just up the road.

No idea what canals these are near but Alvechurch isn't that far from the Oxford area.

We're having a holiday on the canal in July, Can't wait It's our first narrowboat cruise since 1987. I have marked all the caches within striking distance of our course. I'm thinking about placing a multi cache, if I have time. I don't want to be accused of abandonment though!

We hope to get family interested in the maintenance of the cache.

I'd love it if a local would place a cache somewhere by the canal between Aldermaston & Devizes!

Peregrinus

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

I happened to note a locationless cache based on the idea of canal locks:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25354

From a narrow boat you should be able to find one which scores well by the criteria listed there ;-)

Hmmm, if I read it correctly I could log this cache for every lock I visit in the UK which seems a little unfair - I could get my cache total pretty high, pretty quickly.

I also note that the only log on it should technically be disqualified as the cache text specifically mentions locks in Britain and the one that is logged is in Indiana.

I've always been a bit uneasy about locationless caches. I could use them to rack up my caches hidden total this way as well e.g. on the same lines as the Lock cache I've thought up the following:

Post boxes in Britain

Telephone boxes in Britain

Pubs in Britain called "The Dog and Duck"

Sports stadia in Britain

Zoos in Britain

Airports in Britain

etc etc.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

I happened to note a locationless cache based on the idea of canal locks:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25354

From a narrow boat you should be able to find one which scores well by the criteria listed there ;-)

Having read JeremyP on this topic, I wondered about logging a find for each of the locks on my favourite canal - The Grantham. After all I already have the coordinates from all 18 and photos of quite a few. I don't think so! Granted it would be one way of drawing attention to the Grantham, I have already set two caches there:

Belvoir Lodge

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6048

Viking GC

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25304

That is because I believe that drawing attention to places people might not know about is one of the good things about the sport.

But don't try getting to either by boat as the Grantham is still being restored and although trailed boats can sail past the first, they would have some difficulty at the second.