Using trig points as Cache location/clues

I have been thinking up an idea for a cache and am planning to either use trig points as clues or hide a micro cache at a few trig points each which will have a clue to a final cache location. Is this allowed first of all?

If it is should I put each clue as a separate micro cache and have the the final cache on a page of its own? or use the clues and final cache as part of the one cache. The micro caches will be about 10kms apart as the crow flies a bit longer by road.

Hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a bar?

You would of thought at least one of them would of seen it!!

There's a thought. We could come up with something based around the Ornament Survey's 'Passive DGPS Network' trig points. These are often just a tiny bolt or rivet in a rock - dadgum near impossible to find sometimes, even with a location to the nearest 5cm!

A similar game to the US Benchmark Hunting?

Originally posted by Naefearjustbeer:

I have been thinking up an idea for a cache and am planning to either use trig points as clues or hide a micro cache at a few trig points each which will have a clue to a final cache location. Is this allowed first of all?

If it is should I put each clue as a separate micro cache and have the the final cache on a page of its own? or use the clues and final cache as part of the one cache.

QUOTE]

micro-caches as clues.

Both these types of cache allready exist.

In fact these types of multi cache are our favourite type of cache. Most caches we now place fall into one of these two types.

What ever way you decide to do it, sounds great.

Tech-no notice

Gleetings Peeps

First off outforthehunt already has a cache set up using the OS Passive system which he regularly changes. so you can actually log it several times. As long as it is a different location.

On the theme of Micro caches as clues.. I have a cache set up that uses 5 micro caches, one virtual, mapreading and resection to find the final cache. As far as I'm concerned as long as it is workable, needs the GPS to find locations then do it.

But don't be suprised if you do not get to many hits on it as some folks are put off with too much running around.. Mine gets good comments usually but you need to drive, be able to read a map and compass and an understanding of triangulation and resection and 4-5 hours to compelete it.

But then again I'm just a rotter icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

[This message was edited by Moss Trooper on February 28, 2003 at 04:50 AM.]

I went to hide the final cache today only to dicover a JCBs, Lorries, tractors cranes and cement mixers etc, and some sort of big building work going on so it makes it a no no at the moment icon_frown.gif They are not actually building on my intended location but kind of in the way for getting to it.

But hopefully when the building work is over there should be clear and safe access to my intended spot.

quote:
But don't be suprised if you do not get to many hits on it

Caches up here dont get many hits at the moment and as as far as I know there are only 2 active cachers in the area and I am one of the 2. Most of the other hits are from travellers in the summer. It is my intention to get a variety of different caches hidden to attract different people to come up to the area for a visit. Some nice simple park the car and look around for 5 minutes to ones that involve a bit more effort to complete. i have managed a few so far and hope to get a few more hidden soon.

I thought I could post micro or virtual caches for each clue as it would increase the number of separate caches in the area. Each one would be worth a trip just for the view alone. rather than incude all the clues and final destination on one cache page. But due to the construction work this one will have to go on the back burner for a while.

Hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a bar?

You would of thought at least one of them would of seen it!!

quote:
Originally posted by PalmNut:

There's a thought. We could come up with something based around the Ornament Survey's 'Passive DGPS Network' trig points. These are often just a tiny bolt or rivet in a rock - dadgum near impossible to find sometimes, even with a location to the nearest 5cm!

A similar game to the US Benchmark Hunting?

A couple of my caches are based upon the old Triangulation Pillar and a Passive GPS Station.

The Passive Station one is Precisely Bolsover

and the traditional one is Goodalls Trig

Someone else has posted a link to Jeremy's Trig Point website, so all I can do is to recomend it if you are interested in Trig Point hunting.

--... ...--

Morseman

The Thames Valley Trigpoint Trail makes use of five triangulation pillars. The OS serial numbers on four of them are used as virtual clues and other features of the remaining one are also used (you can't get close enough to read the number). Before submitting the cache, I asked Tim and June about the best way to do it. I was half thinking about making four virtuals leading to one real a la Sherlock. However, the locations of the clues are not that exciting (other than to make you drive around the nicer parts of the Thames Valley) so it ended up as a single multi albeit with the clues some distance apart.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching