eTrex Legend w/ MG Europe

Hi, guys.

I originally posted over in the "GPS Units" forum. Then, I realized I had a problem: GPSW have sent me a really old Legend (firmware 2.38) with MetroGuide 4.0.

I am not at all happy about this! So, first, I thought I would warn you (but will let you know if they say, "Oops! Our mistake!" and replace with the product I expected to receive). Second, if anyone knows the answer to the question posed in this thread, please let me know.

Thanks.

[This message was edited by Simon & Elizabeth on August 09, 2003 at 07:09 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Simon & Elizabeth:

Hi, guys.

I originally posted over in the "GPS Units" forum. Then, I realized I had a problem: http://www.gpsw.co.uk/ have sent me a really old Legend (firmware 2.38) with MetroGuide 4.0.

I am not at all happy about this! So, first, I thought I would warn you (but will let you know if they say, "Oops! Our mistake!" and replace with the product I expected to receive). Second, if anyone knows the answer to the question posedhttp://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=50760367 (hope that link works), please let me know.

Thanks.

My reply Copied from the 'other' thread:-

1. Make sure that any autosync software (PDA etc) is not running on your PC and all your com ports are enabled.

2. Ensure the Legend's interface is set to GARMIN.

You should be able to upgrade the 'Mapsource' part of the CD to V5.0 using the download from Garmin here Mapsource Update. Of course that wont update your 'base' map package.

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:

Hi, guys.

I originally posted over in the "GPS Units" forum. Then, I realized I had a problem: http://www.gpsw.co.uk/ have sent me a really old Legend (firmware 2.38) with MetroGuide 4.0.

I am not at all happy about this! So, first, I thought I would warn you (but will let you know if they say, "Oops! Our mistake!" and replace with the product I expected to receive). Second, if anyone knows the answer to the question posed http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=50760367, please let me know.

Thanks.

[This message was edited by Simon & Elizabeth on August 09, 2003 at 07:09 AM.]

'

Further to my post above.

I've just spoken to a mate of mine 'oop North' who had his European MG V4 upgraded to V5 free of charge by Garmin. He sent in his original CD, receipt and a coupon he obtained from here Metroguide Upgrade

I think that's pretty good service from Garmin icon_biggrin.gif.

If you went for that option you could then be out & about tomorrow with your new toy icon_smile.gif.

(I have no association with Garmin apart from being a satisfied owner/user of a Legend.)

[This message was edited by Motley Crew on August 09, 2003 at 03:11 PM.]

Thanks for that! icon_smile.gif I shall give Garmin a ring in the morning, to make sure this offer applies for software from the Legend/MG bundle. But, assuming that to be the case, I shall be pretty happy.

My only slight remaining concern would be regarding the hardware itself. Since the unit came shipped with firmware revision 2.38, I think it was manufactured around April 2002. Would the hardware have been improved since that time, I wonder?

When I go to the diagnostic mode, by holding in the Click Stick whilst turning on the unit, I now see the following:

Software Version: 3.40

Bravo Version: 8

... And a bunch of other stuff.

(I did the firmware upgrade last night.) What is bravo version? Is that the hardware version? If not, is there any way to see the hardware version? And do you know if the new Legends, being shipped with software version 3.20, have a newer hardware version?

Thanks again for the info on the Garmin upgrade offer! icon_smile.gif

quote:

Thanks for that! icon_smile.gif I shall give Garmin a ring in the morning, to make sure this offer applies for software from the Legend/MG bundle. But, assuming that to be the case, I shall be pretty happy.

My only slight remaining concern would be regarding the hardware itself. Since the unit came shipped with firmware revision 2.38, I think it was manufactured around April 2002. Would the hardware have been improved since that time, I wonder?

When I go to the diagnostic mode, by holding in the Click Stick whilst turning on the unit, I now see the following:

Software Version: 3.40

Bravo Version: 8

... And a bunch of other stuff.

(I did the firmware upgrade last night.) What is bravo version? Is that the hardware version? If not, is there any way to see the hardware version? And do you know if the new Legends, being shipped with software version 3.20, have a newer hardware version?

Thanks again for the info on the Garmin upgrade offer! icon_smile.gif

Well mine's a Bravo version 7 and the S/W is V3.40 (I upgraded a few weeks ago), so yours is even 'newer' than mine hardware wise icon_smile.gif.

To confirm this for anyone else who might happen to find themselves in the same situation:

Garmin will upgrade your MetroGuide Europe v4 to v5 for free, if you purchased after 1 Feb, 2003 -- see "MetroGuide Upgrade" above. This includes software that came as part of the eTrex Legend Deluxe eTrex Legend/MetroGuide Europe bundle.

Garmin telephone support seems really good. I phoned them this morning at 08:30. There is a simple, one-step menu, just to get you to the correct department; and they answered almost immediately. The chap to whom I spoke was really friendly and helpful. This makes a very pleasant change after having to deal with terrible services such as ntl's!

So, to wrap this up, I am now a very happy eTrex Legend owner. We braved the heat yesterday to find our second and third caches -- but the first two using the eTrex. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help, Motley, and for pointing out the upgrade offer -- great stuff! icon_smile.gif

quote:

Garmin will upgrade your MetroGuide Europe v4 to v5 for free, if you purchased after 1 Feb, 2003 -- see "MetroGuide Upgrade" above. _This includes software that came as part of the _eTrex Legend Deluxe_ eTrex Legend/MetroGuide Europe bundle._

Do Garmin need to do anything? I thought upgrades were free anyway. I bought MetroGuide Europe some time ago as version 4.something. Each time an upgrade appeared on the Garmin website I downloaded and installed it and I'm now running Version 5.0(English). I had no need to contact Garmin for any reason.

As for the my Legend... the same applies. I bought it almost a year ago and have successfully downloaded and installed each new firmware version as it appeared. I'm now happily running V3.4 which appeared last moth.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Do Garmin need to do anything? I thought upgrades were free anyway. I bought MetroGuide Europe some time ago as version 4.something. Each time an upgrade appeared on the Garmin website I downloaded and installed it and I'm now running Version 5.0(English). I had no need to contact Garmin for any reason.

Yes, they do. You can update the application for free but not the map data ... so you are running V4 data with V5 software.

Elm'r

Team Bugz n Elm'r