Geodashing

Guest Morseman

Guest Morseman

I guess that many on here will already know of geodashing, but I wondered how many were active?

I've logged two dash sites, so far, and plan to try two more today (my day off).

Since thare are not that many easily accessable geocache sites around here yet (not meant as a criticsm, just a fact). I've taken to doing a dash or two as well.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

Fair point Monz,

I've altered my profile to show Bolsover, England. My excuse is that I set that on my 1st day and didn't know really what to put in.

I've looked at the comments on caches like XChange, and a few others, and have decided to leave those until the weather improves. Or, at least it doen't get dark at 4pm!

The two caches I have in the system are reachable in less than 1/2 hour from parking the car (assuming you drive as close as you can and arn't walking/on a pushbike of course).

I guess that starting on this hobby in November was not such a smart move on my part.

Does anyone know of a few straightforward caches in the South Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire areas?

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Kimrobin

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

Does anyone know of a few straightforward caches in the South Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire areas?

Of ours, I can recommend "Uncle Sam" that's an easy and pleasant walk made difficult by tree cover right at the end. Moravian Walk is a nice easy virtual cache that takes a bit of detective work to complete. You should maybe leave "so near yet so far" until the spring. That one got Monz puffing a bit. Two mile round trip unless you can find the easy way.

All in W yorks though, but close to the M62. In fact "So near", is VERY near the M62.

Alex.

Hiya Morseman,

"Tigger moves On" should be OK for you,

in fact is probably a bit easier now the trees are quite bare (better GPS readings).

I am trying to get round to putting more caches down but 12hour nights and Christmas shopping are getting in the way icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by f-stop (edited 05 December 2001).]

Hiya Morseman,

"Tigger moves On" should be OK for you,

in fact is probably a bit easier now the trees are quite bare (better GPS readings).

I am trying to get round to putting more caches down but 12hour nights and Christmas shopping are getting in the way icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by f-stop (edited 05 December 2001).]

Guest Morseman

Thanks for the suggestions.

Strangely, untill about 18 months ago, I lived in Wakefield...

Unfortunately, unless I'm collecting or taking my children back from/to my ex-wife, I don't go much further north than Sheffield.

I'll put the caches mentioned into waypoints and see if I can get there during a few days I'm taking as holiday before Christmas.

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

OK, moving the thread back on topic (my fault for mentioning why geodashing caught my eye. icon_wink.gif )

Are there any other geodashers out there?

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

[This message has been edited by Morseman (edited 06 December 2001).]

Guest Morseman

OK, moving the thread back on topic (my fault for mentioning why geodashing caught my eye. icon_wink.gif )

Are there any other geodashers out there?

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

[This message has been edited by Morseman (edited 06 December 2001).]

Guest Morseman

Hi Stephen,

The difference is basically;

With geocaching someone puts something in a specific location for you to find.

With geodashing the pots are randomly generated by a computer program and you have to get within 100 metres of that spot to score points.

So, I like both systems because, on the one hand there's something to find and on the other there's more points to try to get to, with a competition to get to as many as you can.

There is, of course, the 100 club for geocachers as well. Which is possible to achieve in the UK, I think?

I hope I've set the basics in that simplistic statement?

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

OK Dave,

Dummy Spit is loaded into my GPSR already. icon_smile.gif

However, looking at the logs it might be one to save for the Spring/Summer.

I've still to scrape the mud off my boots from Football Stars.

Mind you, I can talk, Oddies Delight is in very similar terrain. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

OK Dave,

Dummy Spit is loaded into my GPSR already. icon_smile.gif

However, looking at the logs it might be one to save for the Spring/Summer.

I've still to scrape the mud off my boots from Football Stars.

Mind you, I can talk, Oddies Delight is in very similar terrain. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest davehinns

OK so I've tried geodashing and to be honest I didn't think much of it. Both points I tried were in the middle of private property in a field. One was just off the A36 - in full view of a main road (and the cows) the other was just around the corner from me. This one again was middle of a field, not near the bridlepath that is close etc etc.

To be honest I prefer geocaching. A hunt for a box etc rather than getting within 100yds, a chance to swap items plus someone has put effort into that cache, researching locations etc. Every cache I've been to so far has been in an interesting location that I wouldn't have visited and we mostly spent longer at these locations than we needed to find the cache because of this.

The only one exception to this was one I visited in Nottinghamshire and that was in a patch of forest. Now I like forests, but the kids weren't interested (but we got lovely & muddy!).

Nope geocaching gets my vote everytime. I now even more appreciate the efforts of those who have placed caches.

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by davehinns:

OK so I've tried geodashing and to be honest I didn't think much of it

To each his own, I guess.

I think you may have been unlucky with the locations you tried to visit, I've only had one failure, so far, with a dashpoint that was unreachable.

There are pros and cons for both geocaching and geodashing and I guess that someone who's not interested in either wont see the point of doing what we do, whether cache or dash. icon_smile.gif

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by davehinns:

OK so I've tried geodashing and to be honest I didn't think much of it

To each his own, I guess.

I think you may have been unlucky with the locations you tried to visit, I've only had one failure, so far, with a dashpoint that was unreachable.

There are pros and cons for both geocaching and geodashing and I guess that someone who's not interested in either wont see the point of doing what we do, whether cache or dash. icon_smile.gif

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman