Travel bug football:- Evens signup here

If you are interested in playing travel bug football and you birth date is 'even' (ie the 10th of October) please add your name and your approximate location to the topic.

If somebody can be nominated as team captain makes him/herself know to me we should be on course for kickoff tomorrow, ie Saturday, the 10th of August.

It would be helpful to keep a player list, although this topic should help with that. For this game joining a team after kickoff should be fine, as long you are added to the team list.

Don't mention the mushrooms

Not to be outdone by those oddities in the other team, I've created a mailing list where we can discuss exactly how we're going to thrash them. To subscribe, email:

travelbugfootballevens-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk

I've never done this before and haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but I expect it will work.

I've also knocked up a team logo we can scare them with. Feel free to emblazon it upon your avatar to indicate your allegiance.

64603_500.jpg

64603_700.jpg

64603_600.jpg64603_800.jpg

Now, will someone please kick the dadgum ball?

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

We need some Northerners to get the ball moving.

Has everyone remembered to sign up to the team mail list?

-----------------

el10t

_mobilis in mobili_

Newly Weds don't have their own computer (yet) but I will keep them aware of things.

Kev (Icenians)

quote:
Originally posted by Postie:

2nd July EVENS!

Hey Postie! You and I share a birthday.

Mind you, I'm not suprised as there are more than 25 people on this list so it is more likely than not that two people will share a birthday.

Did you know that 2 July is also the exact central day of the (non-leap) year?

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Hey Postie! You and I share a birthday.

Mind you, I'm not suprised as there are more than 25 people on this list so it is more likely than not that two people will share a birthday.

Actually because there are only 179 even days in the year the probability that two of us share a birthday is greater than evens if there are only 16 of us in the list.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Actually because there are only 179 even days in the year the probability that two of us share a birthday is greater than evens if there are only 16 of us in the list.

My birthday's also the 14th June - what're the chances of two matches in such a small sample size, I wonder?

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

My birthday's also the 14th June - what're the chances of two matches in such a small sample size, I wonder?

As a statistician I feel I should provide a qualified answer to this question.

Unfortunately its Christmas Eve and I really can't be bothered. icon_wink.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

I didn't sign up originally cos' I was brand new to the obsession back when the thread started.

8th November and I think I am a forward if I have the rules right!

(Does that mean the El10t and I are strike partners)

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

(Does that mean the El10t and I are strike partners)

Absolutely, Merman! Strikers both.

My personal strategy is to hang around the goal waiting for the rest of the team to do all the hard work, then to rush in at the last minute and score the winning point to claim a magnificent victory!

(only joking - I'll do my best for the team)

Rich

mobilis in mobili

The static goal idea just doesn't work. The ball will just get nudged back and forth.

What about having a random goal or goals that regenerate every day/couple of days/week?

It just needs someone impartial to generate the goals.

This is how it would work - using the G:UK cache stats, you look how many caches there are (1283 today). You then use a random number generator to generate a number between 1 and 1283. The corresponding cache then becomes a goal, say for a week, and this info gets posted in a dedicated thread.

I would recommend using more than one goal at a time, and either team could score in any goal.

The benefits are:

1. this will keep peoples interest. If I know the ball is nowhere near me, I don't check the game for weeks, and then forget about it. If I knew the goals changed every sunday, I would check every sunday and stay interested.

2. Everyone has a chance to score. I've no chance of popping up in the south of England just in time to score a goal at the moment.

What do you think?

(meant to post this in the general TB football thread so will cut and paste there also)

24th Oct

Suddenly there appears to be life in the beautiful game. I'm a late sign up I know, but the ball is now within a gentle amble (I don't like to play to vigorously).

Are all rules relaxed? I'm off to make a play - if it gets ruled a foul I'll reverse it. Could shoot for goal easily here but will try something a little more subtle.

Stephen (Sandstorm)

---

Are we nearly there yet?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Galaxy:

It just needs someone impartial to generate the goals.

You mean someone not born on either an odd or an even day of the month? icon_wink.gif

quote:
generate a number between 1 and 1283. The corresponding cache then becomes a goal, say for a week

I would recommend using more than one goal at a time, and either team could score in any goal.

What do you think?

Sounds good. I think simplifying the rules could breathe life into this game, and moving the goals around at random will stop people from forgetting about the game because they have no chance of scoring.

Let's throw some ideas around and see which ones stick...

I'd prefer a distinct goal for each team. It is football, after all!

Select goals at random from (non virtual/micro) caches at least 50miles from the kick-off, but no more than 100miles. Keeps play contained, and the difficulty about right

Once a goal is scored, that cache becomes the kick-off point for the next, and new goals are chosen. The game drifts towards the areas where people play it

You can't kick the ball straight into goal from the kick-off. It is a team sport, after all!

If the ball does not move for more than a fortnight (month?), new goals are chosen. Keeps things moving

So basically, after the kick-off move, anyone can kick the ball anywhere. There's a goal for each team, which is chosen with the aim of making the goals achievable, but not too easy.

Anyone else got some suggestions for the melting pot?

I am writing from California. I just mailed to my daughter at the U. of Edinburgh a Travel Bug (SoccerBug28) that wanted to reach Europe. Do any of you footballers want to do a favor and pick up the bug and place it in a cache there somewhere? Does it help that my daughter is yourg, single and good-looking? No, she's not a geocacher. Please e-mail me rather than replying to the board, since I will post similar messages on other boards, and will not be following this one.