Richard & Judy

Hi

I am writing from Cactus TV where we make 'Richard & Judy' for Channel 4.

I am really keen to hear from any regular geocachers as it is an area I would be keen to feature on our show. It seems a fascinating hobby that I'm sure very few of our viewers will currently be aware of.

I would appreciate it if anyone who is keen to be involved (or just explain a bit more about caching) could email me at dave.mynard@cactustv.co.uk or call me on 020 7091 4729.

Thanks in advance!!

..I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think this is a Bad Idea (Capital B Capital I).

Just for the record.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Despite the fact I haven't been here very long, and that I was introduced to this sport by my brother who saw an article in a paper, I've gotta say that blanket advertising, as opposed to person-to-person is probably a bad idea for such a small sport that relies on secrey of the caches to maintain it's integrity

--

Why'd ya have to go and make things so complicated?

The odd article in a local paper, the odd report on local radio, even a snippet on a local news programme (e.g. the excellent Inside Out feature) - they've gradually introduced people to the hobby and generally we haven't had any problems.

But national TV with a couple of million viewers? I don't think geocaching in the UK would stand up to that.

Bad idea in my opinion, too.

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

Okay, the TV company have been in touch with GC.com who have passed them on to us.

They are going to do the programme whatever we think or say so it is far better that we cooperate with them.

This will help achieve a number of things.

• It will prevent them misundersanding what we do and portray us as countryside lovers not geeks without responsibility.

• At a time when caching is still in nappies and trying to gain respectability with land managers, we need all the understanding we can get.

• Let's get the support from those in the rural areas to view our passtime as a constructive aid to getting people out into the countryside again, thereby helping them to accept caches on their land. The rural economy has taken such a hammering over recent years they need all the help they can get.

• This is an opportunity to explain to all and sundry that a cache hider or placer should leave no trace of his being there (other than an invisible and hidden cache of course).

There is a whole generation growing up who never venture out into the countryside. They live in cities and if they venture out of their city it is often to another town/city along a motorway. The parents who are discovering geocaching are breaking the mould, becoming more educated about the country, and taking their kids out of the towns and cities. What a fantasic gift we can give those people. Do we have the right to keep it to ourselves ?

This is an opportunity to show the people who matter that we are responsible users of this country and perhaps we will gain more/better permissions as a result.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

As a long term cacher, The subject of a Computer Active interview and hopefully taking part in Inside Out Northeast I whole heartedly agree with Tim & June.

This hobby will stagnate without new blood.. Also we need recognition so that in the future we can approach land managers with a view to holding meetings and events.

Any publicity that can show our regard to the country side can only do good.

Moss de Boss... Sorta

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

..I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think this is a Bad Idea (Capital B Capital I).

I'll be delighted to be proven wrong on this issue but, for the moment, I'm with MCL. Pharisee and others.

I genuinely admire T&J's convictions and the contribution they continue to make to the geocaching community but I take issue with the implication (reiterated just now by Moss Trooper) that the sport will stagnate without major promotion.

I have gained the impression, especially in recent months, that maintaining "standards" and a responsible attitude towards cache location and content is becoming more difficult as the numbers of inexperienced (but excited and enthusiastic) players increases. Keep in mind that what we see in these forums is only from a small proportion of active cachers. Word of mouth is the best way forward.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

It will prevent them misundersanding what we do and portray us as countryside lovers not geeks without responsibility.

Huh? !!! What promise do you have of that? Just because the "Inside Out" thing was benign does not mean that all other such pieces will be.

But if, as you assert, they're going to do a piece anyway then I guess we need to contribute in order to minimise the potential for misrepresentation.

For myself, I was more at ease when this was an internet-related activity. If I wanted mainstream, I'd take up Orienteering!

Just my tuppenceworth.

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

I can imagine a few caches and travel bugs going missing after the show due to a large influx of newbies learning the ropes all at once.

There is no historical evidence, either in the UK or the US of this happening.

I wouldn't worry too much. There aren't that many people that watch Richard & Judy anyway. icon_smile.gif

-

Without meaning to offend anyone ...is the Richard and Judy viewer really the type of person we should be looking at introducing into the sport.

I mean surely carefully targeted advertising to outdoor organisations etc. as has been mentioned previously would be a better way forward.

I would rather doubt there would be a great influx of newbies as a result of a spot on this show or the audiences interest in such a piece.

Somedays you are a pigeon and others you are a statue !

quote:
Originally posted by Mudplugger:

Without meaning to offend anyone ...is the Richard and Judy viewer really the type of person we should be looking at introducing into the sport.

But "WE" don't have much choice. "THEY" have decided to do an item on "THEIR" show.

What do we do?

Co-operate and try and ensure that the finished article is fair, accurate and shows geocaching in a good light, or tell them to bugger off and let them come up with something on their own?

I'm with T&J on this one.

-Alex.

quote:
I am really keen to hear from any regular geocachers as it is an area I would be keen to feature on our show. It seems a fascinating hobby that I'm sure very few of our viewers will currently be aware of.

Sorry slytherin it appears they are currently only considering! doing a spot on the show should we not take the opportunity to point out the possible problems this may cause?

I am with the other moderators on this.

As has been said, they have decided to do the item on the show, so we are looking to give them the help they need. (Short of appearing on the show in our case. Aside from having already done a TV spot on Inside Out, I don't think my street cred can cope with appearing with Richard and Judy! icon_biggrin.gif )

To be frank, if we don't help them, they will quite likely find someone who will, and someone who may not portray the hobby in a good light!

Richard

[This message was edited by Richard & Beth on March 25, 2003 at 06:06 AM.]

quote:

looks like the moderators have already decided it's a good idea (perish the thought it's because they want to appear on the telly) so the rest of us may as well keep our thoughts to ourselves.

I have to say Mulplugger (or should that be ?) June and I have refused to appear and neither Richard & Beth or Moss Trooper have yet been approached.

It is my understanding the none of them have any wish to appear.

Input from all cachers is valid, even those who have not yet found a single cache. So, perhaps you would like to have some positive input and tell us how you would handle it.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:

looks like the moderators have already decided it's a good idea (perish the thought it's because they want to appear on the telly) so the rest of us may as well keep our thoughts to ourselves.

That is a somewhat unfair comment. As I said in my posting, I have no desire to appear on the show.

Also I do not regard it as a good idea, or a bad idea. True the Richard and Judy show would not have been at the top of a list of potential publicity spots. In fact it probably wouldn't have been on most peoples lists at all.

Whilst we are well aware that there are strong feelings over publicity, the fact is that they have approached us, as UK geocachers to ask us about our hobby. Since they will more than likely do the item with or without us, we, like the other UK moderators feel that we should be doing our utmost to portray our hobby in a positive light.

Look at it this way, what would you prefer, an item where experienced geocachers talk about the hobby and maybe visit some caches, probably placed specifically for the show. Alternatively that a reporter randomly selects a geocache and goes and films themselves finding the cache which could be missing, trashed or whatever?

Richard

W

quote:
I have to say Mudplugger (or should that be ?)

What should I substitute for the ?

I'm sorry I don't know what you are trying to infer here...... I was only saying that the only people who have supported the TV program have been the moderators all other people are opposed.

Richard is a *************** (allegedly)

Judy ******************************************.

Sorry couldn't resist............

[EDITED out most of Mudpluggers post to avoid possible legal action

Tim & June]

[This message was edited by Tim & June on March 25, 2003 at 06:48 AM.]

It is one thing speaking your mind but to openly accuse people of acts that they can not even defend agains is a deplorable act and has no place on this Forum

Mudplugger This is officially a warning.. the first one ever handed out on the UK forum, so congratulations on being the first.

You have mannaged to show those on here what a total idiot you really are.. You may have opened Geocaching.com to legal action for Lible/Slander.

Either you keep your post within the bounds of decency or I will have no alternative but to contact your ISP with a view to having your access removed.

Moss de Boss... Sorta

I would actully prefer it if we were to dissassociate ourselves from any program such as this which wishes to run an article on geocaching.

I can accept the moderators point of view regarding the fact that they will find someone on the web willing to co-operate and we may be misrepresented but how can we be sure that this will not happen anyway.

I cannot believe that the program makers will not want to bring in people who are opposed to the hobby and have an on air discussion about the pro's and cons of Geocaching.

I would support the advertisement of our hobby in serious programs or magazines but feel that regardless of how good the intentions the Richard and Judy show is not a place for us to be represented.

quote:
Warning..

It is one thing speaking your mind but to openly accuse people of acts that they can not even defend agains is a deplorable act and has no place on this Forum

Mudplugger This is officially a warning.. the first one ever handed out on the UK forum, so congratulations on being the first.

You have mannaged to show those on here what a total idiot you really are.. You may have opened Geocaching.com to legal action for Lible/Slander.

Either you keep your post within the bounds of decency or I will have no alternative but to contact your ISP with a view to having your access removed

Nothing which has been removed can be classified as abusive or a lie and the post was meant in good humour.

Just a note. The poster that started this topic is connected with the Richard & Judy programme in what capacity I know not. But if they where just thinking about doing a bit on us. To see the way we have reacted could give them a whole new angle. I was when I saw the inital post intrested but on seeing the reaction it has caused I for one will be staying well away. I am sure that something will now go out on the programme just lets hope that it would be the way we want it.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

quote:

I stand by what the moderatores say. And as for them only doing so that THEY appear on tv , thats not the case. I as well as other local cachers near me have all been aked to appear on a north east prog. This is the best way to get to show the people, who as yet have not heard of this sport what it's all about, there are a lot of families out there who regulary go out at weekends to the countryside or coast. and would probably love the oppertunity to take part in geocaching, a sunday stroll with an objective.

I wish I had heard of it six months earlierthan I did, how I found out was by an article in a computer mag, Moss Trooper was the cacher featured in the article, and at that time there were no moderators in the uk. We wre moderated from across the pond, if I had not seen that article as well as few more geocachers that got started through that very article, then In a way I dont think that geocaching would be doing quite so well as it is today, as I have said in prievious posts , there were only 25 cache's in ,

the uk when I started.we do need to get some more new blood in to the game and let the general population know all about it, the more it becomes popular the quicker we get national recognition as a outdoor hobby.

I wonder how many people out there are participating in the game because they seen it on the telly.

I end this with a big thank you to our moderators , they have helped this hobby in a big way. one or two newcomers to the hobby may not be aware of a lot of the subjects on these forums in the last couple of years and the amount of work that the moderators past and present have done.

Nige

As I said before, I belong to the school of thought that this kind of widescale publicity is a bad thing. But it sounds like it's going to happen, so the best thing we can do now is discuss who we would like to represent us. My first choice would have been Tim & June, but they say they've refused to appear, which is fairy nuff. I'd be willing to do it myself, but I'm no good at that sort of thing. I tend to blather.

For better or worse, this will easily be the biggest publicity geocaching has had in this country, and will certainly bring a lot of new people into the sport. It's important that we come across well.

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

quote:

I would actully prefer it if we were to dissassociate ourselves from any program such as this which wishes to run an article on geocaching.

I can accept the moderators point of view regarding the fact that they will find someone on the web willing to co-operate and we may be misrepresented but how can we be sure that this will not happen anyway.

I cannot believe that the program makers will not want to bring in people who are opposed to the hobby and have an on air discussion about the pro's and cons of Geocaching.

I would support the advertisement of our hobby in serious programs or magazines but feel that regardless of how good the intentions the Richard and Judy show is not a place for us to be represented.

So, do put yourself in our position and tell us how you would respond to a television company who have said "it is an area I would be keen to feature on our show."

But do bear in mind if you say "Go away" they will investigate further to find out why because "It seems a fascinating hobby" and you won't tell them.

Please do give us an example of your reply.

Tim & June (Winchester)

For myself, I'm not really fussed either way. I do however think that if we are involved we should have an "experienced" geocacher who knows what pitfalls there have been over a period of time.

Also anyone who appears should be able to keep cool if it does get into a bit of mickey-taking. The programme goes out live remember.

I do think the best people to do it might well be a family team as that is the audience the programme is aimed at being 5:00 p.m.

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

Through reading the responses on this messageboard I feel that my initial post has opened something of a can of worms.

I would like to point out that we are only considering an item on geocaching at this stage. We will only produce the item if we feel that it is suitable for our show and if we find the right people to be involved in the item.

I would like to thank everybody that emailed me directly - the information provided was very helpful.

I am also grateful to Tim who took the time to speak to me this morning. I appreciate that you are not keen to be directly involved in the show but your help and advice was extremely useful. Cachers should appreciate the work the moderators are doing on their behalf. If we do decide to do an item I will keep you posted, Tim.

We agree Kennamatic.

I had a discussion with "Cactus Dave" today and a number of cachers have contacted them. Among those are some very respected names.

You are right that we do need cachers which have some experience in caching and can handle the "geeky" type of accusations as was attempted on the scottish radio broadcast.

It is too easy to lable geocaching as a "Treasure Hunt" which automatically conjures up pictures of fortunes to be found and when they find out there is no real "treasure" it's a case of "Well that's anorak isn't it ?". As cachers know, the Real Treasure is in the location and the getting out there seeing what a beautiful country we have. Another treasure is having kids who say "Can we go out into the country for a walk".

Of course, the words "Treasure Hunt" also conjure up mental images of digging holes which is one of the biggest no-no for cachers.

Probably the most important qualification is a family with young children who have been caching for some time and have a good number of caches under their belt. Aparently, some of the program will be filmed on location.

As I said we do not consider ourselves "qualified" for the job but have offered behind the scenes support.

We do not yet know where it's all going to happen so it's a little difficult to suggest a number families at this stage.

[Edit

The post above by CactusDave was posted while I was typing this reply. Does anybody feel silly now ?

/Edit]

Tim & June (Winchester)

[This message was edited by Tim & June on March 25, 2003 at 10:01 AM.]

Geocaching is great pastime , I'm sure everyone can at least agree on that?

Because it's a great pastime it WILL grow at an ever increasing rate & then at some point will probably reach critical mass & 'explode' in to either the latest fad or a mainstream hobby.

That much I think is inevitable.

Now then, you can either try to focus that growth & ensure that Geocaching holds true to the guidelines that are/will already be there through the hard work of people like T&J who give up their time to ensure we all have fun. Or....bury your heads in the sand & watch it degenerate into chaos.

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

quote:

I was only saying that the only people who have supported the TV program have been the moderators all other people are opposed.

Count me into the camp that says we should encourage and support people who want to join us. I only got involved recently having seen the Inside Out programme in the South but you can see by my posts and cache history that I am a responsible cacher - I'm sure that for every idiot who is encouraged by TV programmes on geocaching to go out and find and trash a cache there will be 3 or 4 people like me who really enjoy the hobby and frequently are asked by the children "can we go out to find treasure again today Mummy?".

I'm really disappointed that these forums (like so many others) frequently degenerate into slanging matches. I also feel extremely strongly that to "disassociate ourselves from TV programmes like this" will end up with us being portrayed as a bunch of loonies carrying out cloak and dagger operations - not something I normally encourage my children to get involved with!

Although Richard and Judy do have some subjects that they handle in a pros/cons argumentative way between two opposing parties, nor all articles are handled like this and I would be very surprised if we were put head to head with an anti-geocaching lobby on live TV.

I'd like to add my vote of thanks to the moderators and everyone else who helps promote this hobby - frankly all my friends think I'm barmy and the more publicity geocaching gets the less they'll think I'm abnormal!!! frog.gif

Having taken part in the Inside Out broadcast and the previous Carlton TV one, I do not have any desire to go as far as appearing on the TV with R&J this time. It was embarrasing enough the 1st couple of times! icon_biggrin.gif.

It is pleasing to see the number of new cachers that have joined us since seeing Inside Out and hopefully we have managed to attract some long-termers, but I'm not so sure about national TV at this stage - have you seen the map of the caches in the UK recently?!! Mind you the more the merrier! We could have boxes around every corner soon!

As to attracting troublemakers - I do believe that following the broadcasts that we have had, we don't appear to have had any MAJOR trouble with trashed caches. (I know there have been some but maybe not due to the TV) and those who want to cause trouble for people don't appear to want to spend the time doing it to us!

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

quote:
Originally posted by Liz Codd:

I'm really disappointed that these forums (like so many others) frequently degenerate into slanging matches.

You and me both Liz icon_frown.gif

It is amazing the effect that one TOK who seems never to have played the game and has managed to get themselves a warning in 10 posts can have.

I have no problem with legitmate arguments and discussions but it sadens me that people can't be bothered to think before they type or chose to deliberatly antagonise people.

icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Do u think it would be wrong to stand in a fied nearby with a big horn to disrupt the filming???? (JOKE)

On sensible conversation - i am really against the whole idea of publisising the sport, it will result in more trashed caches because the taget audience of R&J is of buisness persons who have just got home from work. If they see a load of individuals are going into the country armed with a GPS looking for a box, finding it and then LEAVING it there. then they may see that as littering.

I love geocaching but some of my friends at college think it is littering and so i fear will lots of other people with the money to buy a gps.

Lathama frog.gif

Couldnt agree more guys....Although the more bad people know about us the more inevitible it will be that caches get trashed, been proved time and time again.

BUT on the other side of the coin is T+Js argument and I thurilly believe they are right.

I would be happy to take part again, but then I am a young man who needs to get noticed icon_wink.gif

Feel free to email me if you want the Pidstar on your show icon_smile.gif

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

[This message was edited by TreeBeard (Pid) on March 25, 2003 at 01:08 PM.]

[i typed a long post, then my connection broke & I lost it icon_biggrin.gif ]

I personally think that the broadcast would help UK geocachers to get new blood into the sport. As long as we don't go OTT with the advertising then we should get a new perspective on it.

What I wouldn't like to happens is caching is not worth doing because of the advertising because:

any cache placed will undoubtably get trashed

it will have become too mainstream and those who joined in the first few years (ie US) will be forgotten

JMHO

I would love to be on TV icon_biggrin.gif, ( michael@geoNOSPAMcacheuk.com )

hopeful>

PS: How many thugs watch Richard and Judy icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Remember....you're not a salmon

[EDIT for spelling}