Need your help

Hi.

I'm a geocacher who lives near Philadelphia. I'm walking the Coast to Coast Path, starting in St. Bees on May 21 and ending in Robin Hood's Bay on June 5. This is the second time I've walked the path. I'll probably put a cache somewhere along the path this year AND I'd love to look for caches along the way, if there are any.

Problem is, the geocaching.com site lists things in latitude/longitude and there's no easy way I can see to translate cache waypoints to your British system of UTM grids. The OS strip maps I have for the Coast to Coast Path are British Grid System and don't have lat/lon on them. Can anyone help me by locating caches on or very near the Coast to Coast Path and then giving me British grid references? I'm just looking for a few caches within a mile of the Coast to Coast Path. Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated. I'm familiar with using British UTM system from previous hikes in England and Wales.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-wally trimb

quote:
Originally posted by trailwalker:

Problem is, the geocaching.com site lists things in latitude/longitude and there's no easy way I can see to translate cache waypoints to your British system of UTM grids. The OS strip maps I have for the Coast to Coast Path are British Grid System and don't have lat/lon on them. Can anyone help me by locating caches on or very near the Coast to Coast Path and then giving me British grid references? -wally trimb

This might be of some help. Take a look at

Rob and Lisas Page which has all the UK caches listed with the OS grid ref & links to Streetmap.co.uk. To convert between grid systems you can try my Spreadsheet detailed below or if you register here you can do the conversion on-line. Hopefully some northern cachers can give you names of good caches.

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

I have had a look on the Geocache map for the UK and the nearest ones to the c2c walk are the following

Lakes web cam

Panoramic

Easby Pie

Riser

As C&M said look them up on Rob&lisa's page.

You will need a help with the Lakes web cam ( some one to take a shot of the pic for you on line) Let me know if you are doing it and I will send you my phone number.

I have done the C2C twice and I think it is the best longdistance path in the UK! Enjoy your self.

Postie

Good luck in your walk and I hope the weather is kind to you. If any of you want to know what Wally has been up to check out his website:

http://www.Lehigh.EDU/~wwt1/walking.html

If there a cacher who is near to a cache which is on his route why not put something in it adressed for his attention???

Cheers

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

I just read an article in the Sept. 2003 issue of Smithsonian magazine about the coast to coast walk and Alfred Wainwright. Of course, there's a few good pics in it. It was a bit of an eye opener for me. As an American who's never been to England, I tend to think of it as a rather smallish place without much diversity in terrain. frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

If Cholo was an Englishman, I would assume he had his tongue deep in his cheek -

You want tongue in cheek? It just so happens that some of my ancestors were Englishmen. The first of whom immigrated to this vast continent nearly 370 years ago. The good thing is that enough time has passed so as to diminish the effects of the rampant inbreeding prevalent on the "wee isle" prior to then. Cheerio. icon_biggrin.gif