UKGeocaching

Lots of groups of geocachers in the States (and in other countries) have set up groups on Yahoo, so I though it might be a good idea to do the same for the UK.

I have started UKGeocaching on Yahoo groups. To subscribe, send an email to:

UKGeocaching-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

For anyone not familiar with Yahoo groups, it will is a web/email based discussion group that also enables members to swap files and pictures. We can have a members database with email and/or phone numbers etc.

How many times have you got stuck with a cache and wanted to ring the owner on your mobile? This could be possible for UKGeocaching members.

It costs nowt, and if nothing else it will keep those pesky Americans out of our discussions icon_smile.gif

Of course, if you don't think it's a good idea, then tell me.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by dawnrazor:

Gah - how awful, there are few things as horrible as a yahoo group!! icon_confused.gif

Is there any real need to subdivide the community ? If there is, there are so many better ways to do this than the horrendous Yahoo group.

Urgh.

Eddie.

Such as?

I'm in lots of Yahoo groups and have no problem with them.

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

Is there any real need to subdivide the community ? If there is, there are so many better ways to do this than the horrendous Yahoo group.

Urgh.

Eddie.

Such as?

I'm in lots of Yahoo groups and have no problem with them.

Excluding ex-pat Americans comes to mind icon_smile.gif

I'm going to join the group, but I think it's slightly redundant. What is this forum for after all?

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I'm going to join the group, but I think it's slightly redundant. What is this forum for after all?

Can you post files and pictures on this forum?

I think it would be fun sometimes to be able to post the track file from your GPS, to let others see where you have been. etc. etc.

All I will say is that if you look on Yahoo, there are lots and lots of groups of geocachers who have a Yahoo group. It would work side by side with this one, not in competition. But if people don't want it then I don't care either way.

Alex.

How long do we need to wait after sending the e-mail to get confirmation?

I sent mine last night and there has been no reply so far. Does it rely on kimrobin going through and manually authorising all requests?

Update: I did a search for "geocaching" on the Yahoo Groups web site and no UK group appeared

-------

jeremyp

quote:

Here's a picture of my nephew for instance:

Oi! I am going to have to charge you for posting that picture here.

Disclaimer - None of Sam, his Grandmother (also in the picture), myself or Mrs El10t are Arsenal supporters. The kit was being worn just to humour his uncle icon_smile.gif

El10t

How long do we need to wait after sending the e-mail to get confirmation?

I sent mine last night and there has been no reply so far. Does it rely on kimrobin going through and manually authorising all requests?

Update: I did a search for "geocaching" on the Yahoo Groups web site and no UK group appeared

-------

It's seems to be on a 'go slow'

icon_rolleyes.gif

I got there eventualy... in fact I think I may have got there a couple of times

icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Oi! I am going to have to charge you for posting that picture here.

Disclaimer - None of Sam, his Grandmother (also in the picture), myself or Mrs El10t are Arsenal supporters. The kit was being worn just to humour his uncle icon_smile.gif

El10t

Technically, it isn't posted here - just a link to my web site where it has been available for months.

I should point out, that as Sam hasn't yet expressed a preference as to what football team he supports, it is entirely possible that he is an Arsenal supporter which if it is the case should make you proud that he has such good taste icon_smile.gif

(I sense a football flame war starting icon_smile.gif ).

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

It costs nowt, and if nothing else it will keep those pesky Americans out of our discussions icon_smile.gif

Of course, if you don't think it's a good idea, then tell me.

Alex.

You know I was really excited to come to London next week. However in the last few days I've been called "PESKY" and "INSULAR" (see this thread http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=1500909683&m=6080946593 ). icon_mad.gificon_confused.gif I've got to wonder if I might be more accepted in Afghanistan. icon_wink.gif

quote:

I should point out, that as Sam hasn't yet expressed a preference as to what football team he supports, it is entirely possible that he _is_ an Arsenal supporter which if it is the case should make you proud that he has such good taste icon_smile.gif

(I sense a football flame war starting icon_smile.gif ).

-------

jeremyp

Much as I'd love to disagree with Jeremy on this thread I have the sad misfortune of being a Gillingham supporter. As any Arsenal fan will testify, this renders me totally unable to even show my face in public when Arsenal fans are around for fear of ridicule and hilarity.

Nothing to see here, move along now, roll on next season.

Eddie icon_frown.gif

Hi Hack..

Divvint fash yersel bout Kimrobins remarks.. He's married to a yank so thinks he has the authority icon_biggrin.gif

Yer is more than welcome an any yokshire man says different I'll drink into the ground.

But honestly.. you will me more than welcome.. an as fer Afganistan.. divint gan there bonny lad.. yer might get yer butt kicked by wor Royal Marines.

icon_biggrin.gif

An if my tounge is more in cheek would be out me mouth..

Moss de Boss... Sorta

quote:
Originally posted by dawnrazor:

Much as I'd love to disagree with Jeremy on this thread I have the sad misfortune of being a Gillingham supporter. As any Arsenal fan will testify, this renders me totally unable to even show my face in public when Arsenal fans are around for fear of ridicule and hilarity.

Nothing to see here, move along now, roll on next season.

Eddie icon_frown.gif

I don't think you have anything to fear from Arsenal fans. Gillingham and Arsenal are in such different leagues (literally) that their paths rarely cross icon_smile.gif . When I was at University I did know somebody from Gillingham, which was therefore his second team. He was doubly blighted because his first team was Newcastle United and this was in the pre-Keegan days when they were truely poor.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by HackAttack:

You know I was really excited to come to London next week. However in the last few days I've been called "PESKY" and "INSULAR" (see this thread http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=1500909683&m=6080946593 ). icon_mad.gificon_confused.gif I've got to wonder if I might be more accepted in Afghanistan. icon_wink.gif

I didn't say you were insular, I said

"and they say _Americans_ are insular"

referring to what I perceived as someone else's insularity, and to the stereotype that Americans are as well. (The accuracy of the stereotype can, BTW, be gauged by pondering the fact that 12% of Americans have passports).

I'm somewhat surprised the frequent oversensitivity of some Americans to the remotest perceived slight. It seems like citizens of the strongest nation in the world would be a little more secure!

For what it's worth, I am an American too, but I'm able to laugh at my culture's foibles and I'm secure enough in my country's position in the world to listen to some criticism now and again.

Speaking of geocaching, icon_wink.gif I placed one in Cumbria the other day.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17966

Check it out!

the tapir