A geocacher's Christmas social?

Seifer

I have just been to to the pub, and its all on! icon_smile.gif

So, Sunday 19th January, at the "Rack & Manger Country Pub & Restaurant", Stockbridge Road, Crawley, Winchester. (Its NOT in Crawley village, but on the main Stockbridge Road (B3049), a couple of miles NW of Winchester).

The pub has 2 parts... the "bar" and the "restaurant". I'm guessing that most of you would probably want to have Sunday Lunch there, so if we all book, we can all go into the "restaurant" side (entrance by the large car park). If you get bored, you can always go around to the "public".... icon_confused.gif

Sunday Roast icon_razz.gif is £7.75 for adults (choice of 3!) and £3.50 for children, and is available from 12:00 to 2:30 (last lunch orders at 2:15). Booking is fairly essential, so call them on 01962 776281. I've told them to expect 20 or so, arriving at various times, so when you call them, say your in the "Paul Blitz" group. The proprietor are John & Wendy Green, and Bill Bicheno (also can you let me know so I have a rough idea of numbers).

I suggest meeting from 12 noon onwards (we won't get there till between 12:30 and 1:00 coz we'll be at church)... the pub is open all afternoon.

We're hoping to organise some bits of fun during the afternoon, but there is also a pond at Crawley village, about a mile away, if you want a walk.... so bring your old crusts along for the ducks! You never know, there might be a cache on the way.... (heck, we could do a "Treasure Hunt" and put a micro-cache onto a duck!)

Assuming I can persuade one of our moderators to approve the cache, it will be GCB744.

We look forward to see loads of you there!

Paul Blitz

Secret Santa sounds great, but a better way to run it might be just to get everyone to bring something along in the price range, wrapped up (naturally) and then to put them in a big sack and pull one out at random for each attendee. That way it doesn't matter if someone has to pull out at the last minute - the number of attendees will equal the number of prezzies in the sack.

Of course you will need some sort of procedure in place to make sure nobody received the present they bought but that should be easy enough to implement.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by The Molinnis Crew:

Would you mind two or three Geocachers from Cornwall joining in your meet. we had a recent Xmas meet ourselves down here and its nice to be able to put faces to the names we see on the caches we do.

Mike

Anyone'll be welcome i'm sure.

Mike

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271

Secret Santa sounds great, but a better way to run it might be just to get everyone to bring something along in the price range, wrapped up (naturally) and then to put them in a big sack and pull one out at random for each attendee.

QUOTE]

Yes, excellent idea... It gains from flexibility, although it looses slightly from the fun of more "personalised" gifts.

Ok, so if you come along, and want to join in the fun, buy something of value up to 2 quid, wrap it up, and bring it along. Obviously the sillier the better.

The new year sales should bring out plenty of possibilities!

Is anyone (else) bringing kids along? if so, maybe we could also organise something for them too. Email me (paul@blitzfamily.org.uk) with numbers of children...

Paul Blitz (on Michael's account)

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

One of the thoughts of things for the 19th was to have a "Secret Santa"... those who have said they will definitely be there get emailed with someone to spend a SMALL amount on (a couple of quid) for a silly (or sensible) late Xmas present.

The receiver will NOT know who has given them the present, and I will NOT let on (hell, I'll forget 5 mins after the emails go out!)

We used to do this at my old office. Everybody drew a name out of a hat and had to buy that person a present costing no more than £5. The present had to be totally anonymous.

It usually turned out to be highly amusing.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I'm away from home for the next week (but will be caching & reading mail etc)... back on 4th Jan

So far I've seen lots of responses from people saying they will be coming along.... looks like there will be at least 30 people coming along, and more if those people bring families! Should be a fun day.

Anyway, would those of you willing to join in the secret santa please email me to confirm, and then when I get back I'll email you back with a team to buy a small gift for.

paul@blitzfamily.org.uk

(there are some teams I'm not sure if you are 1 or 2 (eg Dan & Pid).... heck, just email me & let me know guys!)

And if anyone has any ideas for the day, also let me know... obviously the sillier the better!!!! I'm planning a cache for the day....

Have a happy New Year! May all your geocaching dreams come true!

paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

Subarite has kindly dropped off my TB Gilkicker Bear in Tim and June's Bearly a cache.

Would one of the kind souls in the area please be kind enough to rescue him and bring him along to the Xmas social so that he can have his autograph book signed by you nice folk?

I am sure that he would appreciate the chance to warm his paws in front of a nice fire before plunging back into hibrenation in some cold dark cache. icon_wink.gif

See you all on the 19th

Chris

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

Would one of the kind souls in the area please be kind enough to rescue him and bring him along to the Xmas social so that he can have his autograph book signed by you nice folk?

Chris

We had already been discussing it and if he has not already been picked up a few days before the meeting it will be our pleasure to go get him, it will also give us an excuse to do some routine maintenance. I believe more Bears are required icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Ok, these are the people i think are coming:

MCL

cone_dxf

Huga

Nia

adrianjohn

Hornet

Masher

DJH

El10t

Pharisee

Pid

Dan?

Merman

T&J

Chris & Maria

Team T8

The Mollinnis Crew

Simon G

Kouros

Lost In Space

If you're on there and shouldn't be or not and should be then post a reply

[This message was edited by Team Blitz (Michael) on January 05, 2003 at 06:59 AM.]

New list:: (i can't edit the original one)

MCL

cone_dxf

Huga

Nia

adrianjohn

Hornet

Masher

DJH

El10t

Pharisee

Pid

Dan?

Merman

T&J

Chris & Maria

Team T8

The Mollinnis Crew

Simon G

Kouros

Lost In Space

The Wombles

Nawtcher

Marc B?

Lassitude

Wronskian

It's not a matter of win or lose...until you lose icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Team Blitz (Michael) on January 06, 2003 at 08:26 AM.]

I think I've been un-forgotten now. icon_wink.gif

BTW, I phoned the pub and as soon as I mentioned I wanted to make a booking for Sunday lunch, they said "oh, are you with the Paul Blitz group?" before I'd even mentioned which Sunday. Guess they're getting used to it by now!

See y'all then.

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

quote:
Ok, these are the people i think are coming:

MCL

cone_dxf

Huga

Nia

adrianjohn

Hornet

Masher

DJH

El10t

Pharisee

Pid

Dan?

Merman

T&J

Chris & Maria

Team T8

The Mollinnis Crew

Simon G

Kouros

Lost In Space

Not forgetting the most important team of all..... "Team Blitz"!!

That list is the same as what I make it.... and many of you are bringing wives & (several) children too. The pub is gonna be full!

Ok, I am going to assume that ALL of the above are willing to join in with Secret Santa (ie one per team), unless you tell me by THURSDAY. Then I'll put all names into a hat / box and make the draw.... nice simple randomness!

Then on Fri evening or Sat morning I will email you all (now THAT should be fun!) with who you are buying a present for. The email is likely to be short ("your secret sant will be Fred" is probably about all it will be!!!) so apologies if it comes over as rude... I just want to get them done quick!!!

Team Blitz

BTW, I phoned the pub and as soon as I mentioned I wanted to make a booking for Sunday lunch, they said "oh, are you with the Paul Blitz group?" before I'd even mentioned which Sunday. Guess they're getting used to it by now!QUOTE]

Lol!!

If you haven't booked yet, please don't forget to do so to guarantee you get lunch... they are gonna be busy! The number is 01962 776281 (it's "The Rack & Manger").

Must remember to book a place for myself before they get too full!!!

Paul

Team Blitz

quote:
Originally posted by LIS:

Lost in Space will be there, (if Hornet's transit makes it), together with Pid of D&P fame - if we can get him up at that early hour! (Any Buffy's coming?)

I have to get up at 7am all week so hey, can ya blame me for catching up at the weekend. LoL. I'll make it alright, its Hornets Transit thats the problem...LoL, specially being weighed down with all those Ammo Cans in the back!...... What a great idea,, I can use them as portable Toilets on the way back after I drink too much beer icon_smile.gif LoL. icon_biggrin.gif

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

Just phoned to book the 4 of us in for lunch. The lady I spoke to said that she is now up to 29 people for our party! Does that tally with you Paul? Looks like we'll be keeping them busy!QUOTE]

Decided I should book myself a table.... its up to 34 now!

Paul

Team Blitz

Haven't actually booked yet, as Sarah isn't 100% sure she's free... she might have something planned with a friend of hers.

Will book as soon as I know the details, but whew! There's gonna be a fair few of us there!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

I am paying for Tim and Junes and .....

Whos table do I join? Any offers People? icon_biggrin.gif

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

Hey Ben, no need to pay for ours, but I might be tempted to accept a pint from you. icon_biggrin.gif

We are booked for 12:30 (decided it was better to be early in case they run out of grub) icon_biggrin.gif so unless you get a better offer, you can join the old fogies. As can anyone else if they're really that hard up.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TreeBeard (Pid):

.....oh and Hornet the Peasent! LoL icon_biggrin.gif

Who you callin' a peasant? I seem to recall Gandalf was the one driving the rickety old wagon in the film. So a bit of respect for your elders. Just call me a wrinkled old wizard OK?

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

I have just put together an ammo-box cache for the event: it will be a simple 3-step multi-cache about 500 metres away from the pub, and will become available when I get to the pub (ie I'll be planting it on my way there!!!).

It contains all sorts of things, including a couple of small teddy bears (but with space for more!), and my first travel bug.

Whilst the cache will be removed after the event, I am planning to re-plant it in the near future, as-is, so anything that gets put in will stay in the cache.

So bring along your cache box as well as your cash box!!

Paul

Team Blitz

We have given our last travel bug tag to the BBC for their travel bug which will be reported on their future programmes.

Unfortunately we want to release a travel bug in the near future. If anyone has a tag they could sell us, we would be very grateful if they would bring it with them to the meet. (or contact us by email)

Thanks.

Tim & June (Winchester)

This is to let people know that the pub is maxxed out as far as the lunches go. So if you want lunch, don't bother turning up if you haven't already booked.

Unless Team Blitz can suggest another pub very close? People travelling a long way will have to eat something.

Paul?

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

This is to let people know that the pub is maxxed out as far as the lunches go. So if you want lunch, don't bother turning up if you haven't already booked.

Uh oh. Looks like its a bag of crisps for my Sunday lunch then.

Rich

mobilis in mobili