A geocacher's Christmas social?

Seifer

Would anyone be interested in an event cache around christmas time. Just an idea.

We may be willing to organise such an event but some help may be needed. So what do you think?

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271

We would be interested too, and willing to help if needed. If you are going ahead with this I would advise arranging it soon if it was to be in a pub etc as I learned from experience when I tried to arrange a work get together at this time of year!!

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

I think that Winchester, although a great location, is a bit confined. I think anyone who can get to Winchester could easily travel, a few miles furthe north in order to make the event more accessable to people who are higher up the country than us!

On second thoughts, maybye winchester is the place

It all depends on who can attend where

HeHe....better not let me come....I could be barred from the pub..not because I am too young but because I could clop JeremyP one round the chops icon_wink.gif hehe icon_biggrin.gif (joke)

Winchester is ok could hinder everyone from coming though and as you said getting a quiet pub on a weekend around Christmas could be a problem....if not Im sure a good bit of Woodland would be sufficent.

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

What a good idea, we would be up for it, we do have not have much free time at the weekend between now and Christmas, (the usual school activities, children’s socials, work, work Christmas commitments ect). I’m sure many people will be in the same position. So may be an early January bash would be a better idea, then as many as possible would be able to attend. Winchester area would be good for us. Any help needed count us in.

DJH

We did consider the idea as well. We had a chat with a couple of others who came up with the same thought, before Crimble could be a little difficult.

Suggest that you try the Percy Hobbs again because it's not difficult to find/get to and many cachers have already been there once. If you are considering a Sunday lunch meet be aware that normally the Percy Hobbs do not take bookings for a Sunday but might well be doing so for the Christmas party period. We had to get there as the doors opened at 12:00 and "bag" the tables at the rear. Like the Germans on holiday with the sun loungers. icon_smile.gif

As there are only 5 weekends before Crimble it might be difficult to get everyone organised in time and I don't think we will be able to make it unless it's in the evening.

Hey! Don't want to put you off, go for it !

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Like a lot of people, I'm insanely busy between now and Christmas. Come to think of it, I'm insanely busy most of the time these days... but I *might* be able to make it if it was some time in the new year.

______________________________________________________________________________________

B hejn oia i filmn mip rhffhvbem, dck b acjqna bekh ie iffnpvip iea fhgk obx. - Nxh Zobfbzg

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

Newbury is good too but its no firther than Winchester in terms of accessibility really, so Im more up4 Winchester in the respect that all you people that live there wouldnt have to travel and its no more dfficult to get to than Newbury....but then hey I aint the driver so I cant really vouch a true opinion icon_biggrin.gif

For anybody North of the M4 and not too far East it's half an hour nearer and fractionally easier by train.

Or how about Oxford?

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Anywhere in the thus far mentioned areas are Ok for me. I'm coming across from Cambridge, but I'm not afraid to travel more than 100 yds from my front door, as some of you guys appear to be. icon_razz.gif

January is good for me, so long as it's after the 5th and before the 25th.

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

HeHe or under a silver birch tree in a wood full of birch trees! ( Welwyn Woodlands!)

Hell, wouldn't want to go to a place like THAT cache box: I went there today, and the cache had water in it! Don't need THAT in your beer, do you?

Anyway, what was the problem? it was only 35ft out.....

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

quote:
When we organised the last Winchester event, it proved impossible to find a pub in the city that would allow children in it.

The pub on the Stockbridge Road (corner of Up Sombourne turning) is child friendly, so is a possibility (and besides, there's a nice multicache, with large rabbits, a couple of miles down the road!).

I agree about doing it in January though... and you never know, we could end up doing some snow caching!!

Paul

Team Blitz

Great idea. As I missed the last Winchester meet I'd love to come and meet some more "faces" (and the other bits as well).

I'd prefer January and would be happy with Newbury, Oxford, Winchester, Nuneaton in that order. I also know of one or two pubs in Herts as anyone who has done any of the HH caches will know icon_smile.gif I'd be happy to help if Herts is selected. Any date is fine by me.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

[This message was edited by The Hornet on November 26, 2002 at 01:46 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

Great idea. As I missed the last Winchester meet I'd love to come and meet some more "face" (and the other bits as well).

I'm worried as to which bits of us Hornet wants to see. especially if he and we are drunk.

Lock up your children!

--

I'm sure I posted a reply to this, but perhaps I didn't. If I did, hell, you'll have to put up with me again.

ANYWAY... The Christmas meet sounds pretty good to me... though I'd prefer January, as I know I'm going to be really busy up until then. Personally, it doesn't matter much to me where it is, though obviously the closer to Winchester the better! icon_biggrin.gif

Oxford or Newbury would be good too though. Nuneaton also.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

Is a date fixed yet

Nope, we're probably going 2 go out and look at a pub this weekend.

You'll never die a virgin coz life f**** us all in the end icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, venue not confirmed, but probably the Rack & Manger on the Stockbridge Road (N51 6.012, W1 24.042 according to Ozi Explorer), but let's at least pencil in a date of Sunday 19th January.

I chose that date simply because its a couple of weeks into the new year, and life should be reasonably "normal" by then.

The pub does a nice Sunday lunch from what I remember, so I'll try & get some details & post them so you can plan ahead a bit.

Michael & I have had a couple of ideas for "entertainment" on the day, but if anyone else has any ideas, then please let us know. We can go high-tech if needed, I have access to a projector & screen (bring your geocaching photos along on CD????)

And I'm sure we can place a special cache somewhere nearby.

Of course there is a nice multi-cache a couple of miles down the road (probably not too bad in winter, as it's a chalk area)... if you are thinking about doing it, I'd allow 1.5 to 2 hours for it.

Paul

Team Blitz

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz (Michael):

You'll never die a virgin coz life f**** us all in the end icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, Michael... so much cynicism in one so young. That doesn't bode well for the future icon_smile.gif

And talking of the future...

quote:

I don't know what you're on, my young friend but it looks like some seriously good stuff. Any chance you could bring a bit along to the Christmas Social ? icon_wink.gif

Did someone mention dancing goblins in another thread ?

Oooo... the the swirling patterns have come back... gotta go

John

The Team... A group of people who, individually, can do nothing but collectively.. decide that nothing can be done. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

quote:

I don't know what you're on, my young friend but it looks like some seriously good stuff. Any chance you could bring a bit along to the Christmas Social ? icon_wink.gif

I doubt it. 89.7% of statistics are made up on the spot icon_smile.gif

--

quote:

Oh, Michael... so much cynicism in one so young. That doesn't bode well for the future icon_smile.gif

I've got loads of Quotes like that:

Beer: Helping the ugly get laid since 1783

Avoid hangovers, stay drunk

I knew all the answers in life, but then they changed the questions

I said i had all the answers but i never said they were right

Never start a fight with an idiot coz he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience

God made mountains, god made lakes, god made you, we all make mistakes

God made elk, god made deer, gone made N'sync, a bunch of queers

Only queers and pirates wear earings, and i don't see any boats around

if an officier says to u " Gee son, ur eyes look red, have u been

drinking?" just say"Gee officier, ur eyes look glazed, have u been

eating doughnuts

If u can't amaze people wid ure intelligence confuse em wid ure bulls**t

It's only funny til someone gets hurt, then its HILARIOUS

Children i the dark cause accidents, accidents in the dark cause children

Mirrors can't talk and lucky for you they cant laugh either

I may be dumb but im not stupid

If love iz a game, how come everyone loses

(And those are the clean onee)

And my all time favourite (which i made up)

If life iz a game den y aint it fair, im alwayz da lonely 1, u dont even care

If your wondering why i have these its because of my MSN name which gets changed every 5 minutes icon_biggrin.gif

Mike B

The 19th is now in the diary, I'm looking forward to it.

I still have a load of ammo boxes to get rid of so I'll probably load them into the van and come down in that for the day. So if anybody wants some boxes either let me know (preferably) or just bring along some extra folding stuff.

See you there and a very merry Xmas to everyone.

Peter

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

I'm up for this.

I managed to miss the last one - having promised everyone I'd be there - as Mrs Masher threw a surprise birthday party for me the night before.

I'm afraid I got vewwy, vewwy drunk, and was in no position to go anywhere the next day! icon_cool.gif

"This time, NOTHING can go wrong." icon_razz.gif

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

quote:

Would like to come too, if nobody minds.

John

Of course you are very welcome to join us! Just bring a full wallet along..... (otherwise how will you pay Hornet for all the ammo boxes you need?)

(PS: yes, please, Hornet, we'll take a tenner's worth of ammo boxes!)

Paul

Team Blitz

One of the thoughts of things for the 19th was to have a "Secret Santa"... those who have said they will definitely be there get emailed with someone to spend a SMALL amount on (a couple of quid) for a silly (or sensible) late Xmas present.

The receiver will NOT know who has given them the present, and I will NOT let on (hell, I'll forget 5 mins after the emails go out!)

Would we like to do this?

Team Blitz