Illegal use of a GPSr

Beware the new law which has been well publicised regarding hand-held mobile phones, starting on 1st Dec 2003.

It includes a clause that it will be illegal to use a hand-held electronic device whilst on the move in the car, which could be applied to a GPSr. You can leave it on and it will be legal to use if in a cradle, but picking it up whilst on the move and even if "temporarily stopped" (example given as traffic lights) will be illegal.

Dave

Founder member of GAGB

I carry a portable electronic device every time I drive! Does this mean I can get nicked by the local Plod for wearing my watch? icon_wink.gif

Maybe it will be OK if I mount my GPSr on my wrist......

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by Gavotteers:

or you could become a radio ham as they are exempt

Are you sure about that? Radio hams have been being stopped and moaned at for years, for using a hand-held microphone while driving, although I must admit I've never heard of a prosecution.

My phone and ham radio kit are both hands-free while in the car, but thanks to Dave Womble for the warning...must admit I han't thought about a GPSr coming under the same law...

Paul

A member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain

quote:
Originally posted by Me:

quote:
Originally posted by Gavotteers:

or you could become a radio ham as they are exempt

Are you sure about that? (snip)

I stand corrected! Thanks to Mel of the Gavotteers for pointing me at the website where this info came from. It looks like radio hams, taxi drivers and others using "press-to-talk" devices WILL be exempt.

Now, how do I equip my GPSr with a PTT button...

Paul

A member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain

quote:
Originally posted by The Wombles:

Beware the new law which has been well publicised regarding hand-held mobile phones, starting on 1st Dec 2003.

It includes a clause that it will be illegal to use a hand-held electronic device whilst on the move in the car, which could be applied to a GPSr. You can leave it on and it will be legal to use if in a cradle, but picking it up whilst on the move and even if "temporarily stopped" (example given as traffic lights) will be illegal.

GPS devices are OK, as the do not transmit.

The regulation only covers devices that 'interact'.

This is from the Dept of Transport's web site.

Q4. Will drivers still be able to use navigation equipment or personal digital assistants (PDAs) or other computer equipment that sends or receives data (which would include GPS transmissions)?

Yes - providing that it is not a hand-held device. Use of devices other than mobile phones are only prohibited if the device performs an interactive communication function by sending and receiving data. If the device does not perform this type of function, you can use the device without breaching the regulations.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

quote:
Originally posted by The Wombles:

..It includes a clause that it will be illegal to use a hand-held electronic device whilst on the move in the car, which could be applied to a GPSr...

GPS devices are OK, as they do not transmit.

The regulation only covers devices that 'interact'.

This is from the Dept of Transport's web site.

_

Q4. Will drivers still be able to use navigation equipment or personal digital assistants (PDAs) or other computer equipment that sends or receives data (which would include GPS transmissions)?

Yes - providing that it is not a hand-held device....(emphasis mine - P-D)

Still got that "handheld device" clause in there. Looks like the interpretation of that is that mounted GPSrs are okay, but it will be illegal to use a handheld one...like an Etrex for example.

quote:
Originally posted by plaid-dragon:

Still got that "handheld device" clause in there. Looks like the interpretation of that is that mounted GPSrs are okay, but it will be illegal to use a handheld one...like an Etrex for example.

Yes it is very confusing and contradictatory.

But it says quite specifically that the device has to be interactive. Which a hand held GPSr is quite clearly not.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
Originally posted by plaid-dragon:

They sell mobile-phone holders at the market for a fiver (I have 2, one for my phone, one for my GPSr).

Once in the cradle, it is no longer hand-help... just like a mobile phone.

Paul