Visiting Scotland in September

Heading 'Across the pond' and into Scotland during the first two weekends in September. From Minnesota, USA. Flying into Glasgow and after a brief stop in Edinburgh its up to Fort William and the Highlands and Islands.

Plan on caching quite a bit while there and would love to meet some of our fellow cachers in Scotland!

Renting (hiring) a car in Fort William so we will be mobile. Any recommended caches?

See you soon,

--towlebooth

I'm also going to the highlands in the first week in Sept. Ive already done some of the caches up North earlier this year would have done more if it had not been such bad weather. Placed a cache in Glen Nevis if your going to Fort William. All the caches I done were good but I think the best was the one on Handa Island I think this must be the most remote cache in Britain. When you cone over remember to bring your water proofs and buy some midge repellant not that it works but it does help. If you need any more information just email me.

Regards Silver fox

Welcome to Scotland (in advance)

We've semi-deliberately created a few caches in Edinburgh that are tourist-oriented. By that, I mean that they are in or near the town centre (more or less easily walkable from Princes Street, our main street where the train station is), in the most spectacular and notable spots.

Specifically:

Path to Arthurs Seat 2 - a steep climb, but well worth it

The Athens of the North - another hill cache, closer in to the centre of things

Dean Bridge - a litte further out, but in a pleasant area and near some galleries

Up the Close and Down the Stair - a tour through Edinburgh's Old Town, with ghost story

I can't tell you these caches are fabulous, because 3 of them are mine. icon_biggrin.gif There are others in town as well...use the cache map to see them all.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Welcome to Scotland (in advance)

We've semi-deliberately created a few caches in Edinburgh that are tourist-oriented. By that, I mean that they are in or near the town centre (more or less easily walkable from Princes Street, our main street where the train station is), in the most spectacular and notable spots.

Specifically:

Path to Arthurs Seat 2 - a steep climb, but well worth it

The Athens of the North - another hill cache, closer in to the centre of things

Dean Bridge - a litte further out, but in a pleasant area and near some galleries

Up the Close and Down the Stair - a tour through Edinburgh's Old Town, with ghost story

I can't tell you these caches are fabulous, because 3 of them are mine. icon_biggrin.gif There are others in town as well...use the cache map to see them all.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Thanks Fox and Rooster. Funny, we had already printed out nearly all of these as ones we had hoped to hit.

Really looking forward to getting back to Scotland. I was a student in London while in college (sorry, "at university") and had spent 10 days in Scotland. This will be a 12 day trip ("holiday") and we won't be restricted to the rails and hitchhiking like the last time - we'll be hiring a car. Just have to get my left's right, my hood bonneted and my trunk booted!

Would love to meet some British cachers too.

Jillibean will be along as well.

--towlebooth

On the subject of midges I got savaged the other day placing a new cache in Caithness. But I have heard on good authority that Avon Cosmetics moisturiser "Skin So Soft" is one of the best midge repelants available and its not even designed to be one. Aparently the army use it and they smell most fragrant with it on. If you are coming to the Highlands you should come up to Caithness there are only 3 caches st the moment but I am doing my best to increase the number at the moment.

We have done the MSP to UK trip six days before you. Got off the plane just over an hour ago.

Just to make you feel at home, we have brought a box of Minnesota skeeters back with us and they will be released into the wild in Scotland shortly. Hopefully they will breed in sufficient numbers by next week to be able to give to a good old Twin Cites welcome.

So far our count for last week was 28 caches and 31 bites.

Alex.

I like living dangerously, so I'm going to advertise. I recommend the series of 5 Ness caches I have just set up round Loch Ness area, plus the "secret" 6th one which you get the co-ords for when you've done the others. Radio1 (and Wendy) have recently started the set and Silverfox is apparently raring to go when he's up. Let me know if you hit a problem. I'm in Inverness and always willing to meet anybody (even cachers) for a pint (or two).

Doug

The nearer your destination, the more you keep slip sliding away.

Doug,

We did try for pleasantness, but only found half of the container before we were chased out by the owner of the fishing shack. I see now that Silverfox found the empty container as well and logged it. I think I will do the same. Good to see that you have moved and replaced it. Next trip!

--towlebooth