Awards for caches

Guest jeremyp

Guest jeremyp

Speaking as somebody who hasn't yet placed his first cache, I feel there ought to be some very unofficial award for best UK cache of 2001. Post your nominations here. The winner will have the reward of... nothing, but then bringing so much joy to hundreds of cachers is its own reward right.

I'll start the ball rolling with my top 3:

1. Tombraider 1

2. The Sherlock series

3. The cluedo caches.

This is just a bit of fun remember, so Scotty don't get a big head!

Guest Moss Trooper

The Cleveland way that wasn't for the easiest!!

Where's tha bin for cache with shortest route.. 16 ft Thanks Monz an JasonW icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Moss Trooper (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest Moss Trooper

The Cleveland way that wasn't for the easiest!!

Where's tha bin for cache with shortest route.. 16 ft Thanks Monz an JasonW icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Moss Trooper (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest chris n maria

I have to go with the Sherlock Series.

Looking forward to doing Scottys caches as they look triffic.

"A Harty meal" should get an award for combining Geocaching with Stuffing your face.

------------------

Chris

We are not lost, we just don't know where we are..

[This message has been edited by chris n maria (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by LazyLeopard:

Best views: GC2613 (History Cache 1497?) and GC260C (JAG01 : A Cache with a view)

Hmm, I forgot that category. I've done JAG01 and I'd say that it's just pipped for best view by Facing Saints (IMHO of course).

Aand I'd also say that the only qualification for being nominated is that the cache was placed before 1/1/2002

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
placed before 1/1/2002

The only one which gave me better views than those that I've attempted in the U.K. so far is GC35BB (Haunted Hill), and it was placed last month...

However, if I were selecting from all the caches I've attempted world-wide, I'd be picking GC110A (Peters Serpentine Vista) for both best views and most challenging, and I'd be adding it to a category for most interesting wildlife too.

For the UK, my nomination for most interesting wildlife goes to GC2AAF (Oh! Deer) icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
placed before 1/1/2002

The only one which gave me better views than those that I've attempted in the U.K. so far is GC35BB (Haunted Hill), and it was placed last month...

However, if I were selecting from all the caches I've attempted world-wide, I'd be picking GC110A (Peters Serpentine Vista) for both best views and most challenging, and I'd be adding it to a category for most interesting wildlife too.

For the UK, my nomination for most interesting wildlife goes to GC2AAF (Oh! Deer) icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I have to agree that both Tomb Raider and the Cluedo caches are great. I think I'd have to vote Room 101 for the best view. On a clear day you can see for miles to the north, plus Watership Down along side the cache site is great to walk along.

The cache I found most moving was in Canada, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4408 I'll let you go read the story on the cache page rather than recap. However, although the view on the page, and the pictures give you some idea, you really have to stand by the cache and look up at the mountain, and look around at the amount of rock to really appreciate it all.

The most challenging so far in some ways is also in Canada, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2711 this is because although it's apparently right by a road, it's not overly great. Basicaly it is more than 60km of windy mountain gravel road. There is a quicker way, but that is mountain pass, again gravel road. Then when you get close to the cache site, you have to make sure you're on the right side of the river!

Going from the usual Southern UK ones which are all pretty close to a good road, this one was a bit of a shock! Having said that, close to these are a whole series of mountain top caches - lots of difficulty 1, terrain 4 or 5 efforts!

Richard

Good subject for discussion given the recent Brits and any number of other awards.

The Sherlock series was mentioned as a contender. I did some of these today and have to say I found them really great fun but they are sort of in a differnt category than other caches in that finding them using GPS alone is impossible - there just isn't any way to keep a fix on location.

Ideally you need categories in which to vote (best view, best puzzle, best multicache series, best urban cache etc)

I have only found 8 caches so far but my nomination is for the most eerie-feeling cache. This goes to "Without a Paddle".

Not sure quite what I found eerie about it - the whole area reminded me of somewhere we used to play as kids. Everyone else who goes there will probably think "So whats so odd about this? Is el10t a looney?" but I found it strangely disturbing.

Award for the best place to boost a flagging find total - Swinley Forest - which has 11 caches I know of within the confines of the forest. (SP1-SP9, plus Caesars Camp, and Lookout caches)

Richard

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Beth:

Award for the best place to boost a flagging find total - Swinley Forest - which has 11 caches I know of within the confines of the forest. (SP1-SP9, plus Caesars Camp, and Lookout caches)

Richard

I thought of nominating SP1-9 as "most tedious caches :-)" but I thought I'd keep the thread positive. Actually the only thing wrong with them is that they are too easy. A little encryption here and there would have improved things.

Anyway, that was off-topic. My nomination of bizarrist cache is "Fish and Coffee" which I haven't done yet because it's in somebody's back garden.

------------------

I think I probably found those less tedious because I did them in several batches.

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Anyway, that was off-topic. My nomination of bizarrist cache is "Fish and Coffee" which I haven't done yet because it's in somebody's back garden.

I'd be wary of doing Fish and Coffee without checking that the cache owner was still living in the house. If you look up the list of caches he has found you'll see he hasn't done any geocaching for a long while. Might be slightly embarassing if he's moved and just not archived the cache... eek.gif

Richard

Guest jeremyp

quote:

I think I probably found those less tedious because I did them in several batches.

I'd be wary of doing Fish and Coffee without checking that the cache owner was still living in the house. If you look up the list of caches he has found you'll see he hasn't done any geocaching for a long while. Might be slightly embarassing if he's moved and just not archived the cache... eek.gif

Richard

When we tried to do it, we got to a point where we were standing in front of a house and the GPS was pointing directly at the house. Given the accuracy of the GPS and the width of the house, I wasn't confident that it was the right one (or even that it wasn't the house in the next street). So we gave it up as a bad job.

------------------

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

When we tried to do it, we got to a point where we were standing in front of a house and the GPS was pointing directly at the house. Given the accuracy of the GPS and the width of the house, I wasn't confident that it was the right one (or even that it wasn't the house in the next street). So we gave it up as a bad job.

It's actually the only house there with a fish pond in the front garden, although it's right close to the house, so you do tend to look like you're looking to do a burglary or something. Might be worth e-mailing Doomslayer and if we get no reply archiving it.

Actually, thinking back to when we did the cache, might be worth having another go at doing a Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire cachers meet, as there are a good number more than there were when the picture in the cache log was taken.

Richard

quote:

Actually, thinking back to when we did the cache, might be worth having another go at doing a Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire cachers meet, as there are a good number more than there were when the picture in the cache log was taken.

That sounds like a nice idea - I live in Hampshire. Could I be included??

Guest jeremyp

quote:

It's actually the only house there with a fish pond in the front garden, although it's right close to the house, so you do tend to look like you're looking to do a burglary or something. Might be worth e-mailing Doomslayer and if we get no reply archiving it.

Richard

There were no houses with ponds in the front garden that I coud see, otherwise we'd have realised which one it was. Maybe they did move out and the next people filled the pond in.

I'm going to e-mail the cacher and find out the cache status.

A Berkshire / Hampshire cachers meet might be a good idea. There seems to be quite a lot of us now.

Guest Luggage

Yep - Southern cachers meet sounds good, but perhaps not central London - not fun to get to. Perhaps making it Woking way or similar will make it close enough, and easy enough for everyone to get to.

I have to agree with Jeremyp - SP series of caches was the most tedious - I didn't actually enjoy them at all - there was nothing of any particular interest to see on the way round...

Best cache to do after dark - Without a paddle

Best Multi-cache - Cluedo

Most moving cache - Joint winners - Walk with the Dead I & II, and Toom Raider I.

Most difficult Cache - Diamond Isle (has anyone done it yet?)

Anyhoo, thats enough from us for now!

Rancid-wind & Backpack

------------------

To infinity - and the cache!!

Guest jeremyp

A non-scientific survey of the response so far suggests that Tomb Raider 1 has it at the moment with honourable mentions for Sherlock and Cluedo - which are strictly series of caches so possibly should be counted in a special multi-cache prize.

Cache with a best view seems to be History Cache which got more than one mention.

The SP series has two mentions for tediosity although unfairly, the second was prompted by the first and several responses disagreed anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty:

Loved this cache....

I think the weather made the day,

I would probably not vote for it on a COLD, SNOWY, RAINY day.

(Wink) Scotty

When I did it, it was cold and snowy. Still a great cache though.

-------

We're going to need a bigger boat!

Best View - Lead Mines

Most difficult - Anything by Lost in Space! I coul swer you dont hide your caches, just simply stand infront of a group of trees/bushes and throw it in.

Cacher of the Year - J Stead (doesnt even need coordinates, just smells the cache and goes straight to it)

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)