Missing Travel Bugs

Icenians

In my short experience as a geocacher, I've only had dealings with one travel bug. I visited Stavro Mueller Beta, fully expecting to find Gismos1 which had been placed there a few weeks earlier and was supposedly there still. When I arrived, Gismos1 was missing - according to the log book, someone had visited a few days earlier and taken it, but they hadn't (and still haven't) logged their visit on the web site. I don't know how common this is, but it put me off the idea of placing a bug in my first cache a few days later.

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

In my short experience as a geocacher, I've only had dealings with one travel bug. I visited Stavro Mueller Beta, fully expecting to find http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=873 which had been placed there a few weeks earlier and was supposedly there still. When I arrived, Gismos1 was missing - according to the log book, someone had visited a few days earlier and taken it, but they hadn't (and still haven't) logged their visit on the web site. I don't know how common this is, but it put me off the idea of placing a bug in my first cache a few days later.

Interesting. There is a bug still logged in a cache up this way that has been removed. The person that took it logged it in their log on the site but didn't update the bug page. He has set caches not far from the one you mention.

It's a shame as the bug in question is a project for a primary school.

Kev

I thought bugs were a great idea when they first came out, but now I'm not so sure.

I don't mind moving them on when I find them but owning bugs is a different matter.

Of the six bugs that I started out, three have gone walkabout at one time or another. It has to be said though that they all went missing in the USA. I got two of them back into circultation by posting fairly nasty logs accusing the Americans of being light-fingered. Extreme, but it worked.

The things that pisses me off is that it is geocachers who steal the bugs. If you are smart enough to work out how a GPS works, then you have to be smart enough to work out what a bug is and how it works.

The last few tags that I've had, I've been putting into caches for other people to use.

I'm not properly decided on travel bugs.

I am apprehensive of moving them because I am never sure when I will next get to go out and find another cache, and I don't want to incur the wrath of the owner for holding on to it for an unreasonable amount of time.

I wonder whether a disproportionate amount have been taken/stolen or whether they have been genuinely lost by people picking them up and it seems like a lot are going missing because you notice when they are gone but you don't notice when an ordinary cache item such as a McDonalds toy gets accidentally mislaid by the finder. (sorry about the long sentance!)

There seem to be so many TB's in circulation that they are in danger of losing their novelty a bit.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

I called in at the LBA TRAVEL BUG HOTELlast Wednesday and the bug count in the cache was down

I left Posties " Letter" bug. it stated on the cache page That there were two bugs in the box, there was only one, a cuddly toy sort of Seagull or something, I could not see anything else,it still shows the two bugs plus the one I left on the cache page, has there been problems at this cache in the past? I made a note on the page and to the owner , still waiting for reply, If your out there page 28. We must have some dishonest buggers over here as well, or people are not paying attention to the instructions given on the site as regards to travel bug hiding and finding. Nige icon_confused.gif

I called in at the LBA TRAVEL BUG HOTELlast Wednesday and the bug count in the cache was down

I left Posties " Letter" bug. it stated on the cache page That there were two bugs in the box, there was only one, a cuddly toy sort of Seagull or something, I could not see anything else,it still shows the two bugs plus the one I left on the cache page, has there been problems at this cache in the past? I made a note on the page and to the owner , still waiting for reply, If your out there page 28. We must have some dishonest buggers over here as well, or people are not paying attention to the instructions given on the site as regards to travel bug hiding and finding. Nige icon_confused.gif

I have had people pick up bug s in the past and note it in the log but not actually Grab them using the system. I sent them a gentle mail and it was all sorted.

So far people have held on to our bugs for up to 2 or 3 Months then dropped them off. So far no missing in action.

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Just before I went to France the bugs were there, maybe like me some one has gone off on holiday and Can't log them until back home.

It would be nice if you could log a find via an sms or via a wap page.( for those of us that haven't got Palms or Pocket PC's). I took Murgatroyd Mouse to 'On the lands of Robert the Devil' on my return he's already moved on, disappeared from my inventory and now no way of easily logging him as I don't have his Number ...

Our one attempt at a Travel Bug (Macey Badger) never even got one log before it went missing. We dropped it in The Devils Jumps and it's apparently gone now. Ah well, that was fun. We think we'll give it another go though and drop one or two and see if they can make it back to us in Australia.

Ok, 10 metres. It's somewhere around here...

Yes Chipmunk , thats the one Isaw. Mind you I was looking for a dog as its name said Corgi.So he's still there, as for The Celtic cross I dont recall seeing one, But I may have overlooked it. Hope I did, I wonder if The cat could come up with something on his brilliant site that we could keep a check on all uk bugs and perhaps a list of what bugs have been released, maybe one of you computer buffs may have some ideas.

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

quote:
.( for those of us that haven't got Palms or Pocket PC's).

That seems to suggest we can log a find from a PocketPC. Is this the case?

Should have added 'inconjunction with a data enabled mobile phone' ( I have a 6310i thats got IR and Bluetooth so I just need a pocket PC icon_biggrin.gif or Palm icon_smile.gif with either of those to go mobile)

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

quote:
.( for those of us that haven't got Palms or Pocket PC's).

That seems to suggest we can log a find from a PocketPC. Is this the case?

Should have added 'inconjunction with a data enabled mobile phone' ( I have a 6310i thats got IR and Bluetooth so I just need a pocket PC icon_biggrin.gif or Palm icon_smile.gif with either of those to go mobile)

quote:

I can surf the web with my iPaq but you pay per byte. Gets a little expensive with all the images, not to mention difficult to read, of the main site. I nice clean PDA site is what is needed. Quick cheap download.

I gave up on GPRS as Vodafone don't seem to know what they are doing with it. They were happy to charge me £17 a month for 5Mb but not able to itemise it on the bill. They managed to itemise the data they charged me for though! £67 for a few email headers. No thanks.

quote:

I can surf the web with my iPaq but you pay per byte. Gets a little expensive with all the images, not to mention difficult to read, of the main site. I nice clean PDA site is what is needed. Quick cheap download.

I gave up on GPRS as Vodafone don't seem to know what they are doing with it. They were happy to charge me £17 a month for 5Mb but not able to itemise it on the bill. They managed to itemise the data they charged me for though! £67 for a few email headers. No thanks.

My first TB was placed at the O pond on 1st April and was picked up and logged by a cacher but still has not been dropped off. Am I unreasonable to be a little annoyed that it has not yet been placed and after a number of very poilte enquiries to the team who picked it up?

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

quote:

I Use a Casio Casssiopeia in conjunction with a Sony Ericsson T68i

If you use the custom stripped-down cache summary pages now available on the UK geocaching resource site, the amount of data transfer is very minimal indeed.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

I Use a Casio Casssiopeia in conjunction with a Sony Ericsson T68i

If you use the custom stripped-down cache summary pages now available on the UK geocaching resource site, the amount of data transfer is very minimal indeed.

I meant for logging finds. I use the other data offline so don't need the online bit for that.

My main gribe is with Vodafone as they can't track the cost and I don't trust them with the billing.

[This message was edited by Icenians on August 17, 2002 at 01:00 AM.]