Rationalisation

There is now a void and a need for rationalisation.

Threads are threr for thanks, yes I agree, but for us to continue as a community we need some leadership and a continuation of the many good things that have been initiated in recent months.

We need our moderation team back.

Come on you cachers who know and respect those who have moderated.

Ask them to return.......

dodgydaved

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy&me:

I'll add my voice to that too. _Please come back._ As far as I can see all this trouble has been caused by a very small number of cachers with very little experience.

Couldn't agree more - it should be Daisy & Me & ME

PLEASE COME BACK - we need you frog.gif

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

I add my voice to that.

But at the same time, we've had a kick in the teeth. Perhaps we need it to realise what we were missing, and the huge amount of work that went on behind the scenes.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

I think it would do everyone some good to be moderated / have caches approved by some non-UK people for a while.

That would probably mean stricter moderatioon of the forums, including contentious posts deleted without reference, and caches both not being approved (mentions a pub: commercial activity not allowed) and taking a lot longer to be approved (more checking needed as external people don't know the UK so well).

Then maybe a few people around here would actually appreciate what our UK team has done for us, and what they were trying to do to make things even better.

Paul

In my experience, experience counts.

I am pretty new to this pastime but have a fair whack of business and volunteer experience through managing large multi-team groups and being a parent governor. Like many have expressed already, I have endured the worst of 'trial by committee' and the excesses of the over-enthusiast 'barrack room' lawyers.

It would seem that, now more than ever, GC in the UK needs the skills of the recently stepped-down Admins/Moderators, even if only to assist in bring the next generation on. From what I have read here and elsewhere, they seem to have played a significant role in extracting concessions from GC.com in terms of localising rulings on cache placement and make-up and, should that cease, I doubt whether it will take long for things to become more centralised. Having managed regional teams through acquisitions and mergers, I know that it is very tempting for those calling the majority of the shots to centralise as much of process, procedure and policy, rather than deal with any number of locally represented groups.

If those who have recently stood down are still minded to remain so, maybe an interim solution would be for them to assist any nominated replacements by passing on their skills. Another idea might be to encourage them to return, supported by some localised assistant moderators who could i) assist with forum moderation and ii) help assess and approve submitted caches nearest their area.

bignoseduglyguy

www.bignoseduglyguy.com - obligatory caching page now added!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

I think it would do everyone some good to be moderated / have caches approved by some non-UK people for a while.

I don't think it will come to that. As others have pointed out, the act of approving caches and moderating the forums represents only a small part of the work which the current admin team have been doing.

Finding a new group of cache approvers will not be a difficult task. Finding people with the time, skills and enthusiasm for all the behind the scenes work... now that's going to be the difficult part!

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

OK.

Beggings not working.

How about we threaten you?

"come back else we'll send the boys round!"

(I'd better just point out that the boys are 12 & 6 I suppose)

Please reconsider.

Regards,

Gaz,Suni,Jack & Kashi.

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

Knowing the mood they're in, threats aren't gonna work either

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Posted By Teasle

I don't think it will come to that. As others have pointed out, the act of approving caches and moderating the forums represents only a small part of the work which the current admin team have been doing.

Finding a new group of cache approvers will not be a difficult task. Finding people with the time, skills and enthusiasm for all the behind the scenes work... now that's going to be the difficult part!

You actually belive after this anyone would want the job!!! You must be joking..

Moss the Boss... Sorta

"You actually belive after this anyone would want the job!!! You must be joking.."

Funny, thats exactly what I thought when I read it!

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....