How is this a find?

SimonG

Today I tried to find Yet another Epping. St Thomas’s Quarters. I found the first of the two caches, but not the second one - I hadn't completed the multicache, so I came home and logged it as a Not Found. What surprised me is that everyone else has logged it as Found, even though almost no one found the second cache.

I know the issue of 'what constitutes a find' has been discussed ad nauseum in the fora, and the consensus has always been that it's not a find if you don't complete it. So what's different about this cache? If the other logs are anything to go by, I'm in a minority here, but I can't understand why.

SimonG.org

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I noticed that somebody else logged a find on the same day as you but couldn't find part 1 which is not surprising as you had it.

Yes, a bit unfortunate that - no finds in over three months, then someone goes after it the day I take it away (it was waterlogged, for anyone who hasn't read my log). Hey ho.

SimonG.org

Often Multi caches have a log for each part, for example Cluedo. Where you cant do the last part until you have done the first part(s).

I assumed perhaps wrongly that this was like that and part 2 would have a seperate log.

(I only had a GPS with me and no printout)

Tech-no notice

Ha, you think that's good?

I've a virtual locationless cache for Greenwich Meridian markers posts. Thus far three Merkins have posted logs with photos of 'meridian'** signs from the US!

** In the US, any line that runs true north is a meridian. (I guess it is anywhere). There are many places where two posts are placed, one directly north of the other, thus defining a meridian. Madness

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:
Originally posted by Huga:

** In the US, any line that runs true north is a meridian. (I guess it is anywhere). There are many places where two posts are placed, one directly north of the other, thus defining a meridian. Madness

Any line that runs due North is a meridian. The one that goes through Greenwich is the "Prime Meridian".

Having checked your cache page, it is pretty obvious to me, which meridian you are talking about though. Note that your GPS actually shows an error of 5 seconds, not 5 minutes. 5 minutes is several miles.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

[This message was edited by jeremyp on February 02, 2003 at 01:00 AM.]

Any line that runs due North is a meridian. The one that goes through Greenwich is the "Prime Meridian".

Does the WGS84 prime meridian go through the same point in Greenwich as the OSGB1936 prinme meridian ? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jeb and co:

Does the WGS84 prime meridian go through the same point in Greenwich as the OSGB1936 prinme meridian ? icon_confused.gif

They are different lines, but they probably cross at two points (near the North and South poles at a guess).

They are about 90 metres apart at Greenwich.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching