Geopuzzles

Guest dylanhayes

Guest dylanhayes

I have been doing some research about a cache I had an idea for this weekend. It is not a conventional cache, but instead relies on one fixed point with a published lat/long and solving of several clues find the final location. You will need to know a little bit of local history and some mapwork to work out the actual lat/long. Unless you happen to know the local area very well it will take a bit of driving and walking and even some research to find, assuming you don't get confused and head of in totally the wrong direction. This could take a large chunk of a day to solve, although somebody actually tries it I will not know for sure.

I just want to test the waters and see if a) people are interested in this sort of thing, as it does seem to be a lot of effort for one measly cache, :( is this going to be too hard? I can of course make the clues harder or easier, and I want to pitch it at a level which is challenging without being impossible c) Will people come all the way to the North Yorks Moors National Park to attempt something like this? I know that's a long way to come, especially if you don't find it, but by way of compensation there's a nice cluster of caches in the area now.

Guest chris n maria

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

a) people are interested in this sort of thing, as it does seem to be a lot of effort for one measly cache, :( is this going to be too hard? I can of course make the clues harder or easier, and I want to pitch it at a level which is challenging without being impossible c) Will people come all the way to the North Yorks Moors National Park to attempt something like this? I know that's a long way to come, especially if you don't find it, but by way of compensation there's a nice cluster of caches in the area now.

Well here is my opinion:

a)I'd quite enjoy something like this but you need to provide plenty of info up front for planning purposes ie: how long it will take, can it all be walked/cycled from a single start point or will it involve driving to each point, will I need a map - if so which one.etc.

b)Too hard - the important thing is that people are forwarned what is involved after that it's up to them. For example This looks quite hard to work out what to do but at least you know what you have signed up for! Personally I like the Mystery trail idea similar to the Sherlock series of caches in that you get really involved with the process as yoou step towards the final goal. I also like the final goal to be a physical cache then it is a real buzz finding it.

C icon_smile.gif I wouldn't come to North York Moors just for one cache - bit of a long drive. Though if it was local to me (or I was staying up there for a week) I would be straight there. It would be a good way to pass those days on holiday where you just don't want to get back on a mountain bike!

Chris

Guest chris n maria

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

a) people are interested in this sort of thing, as it does seem to be a lot of effort for one measly cache, :( is this going to be too hard? I can of course make the clues harder or easier, and I want to pitch it at a level which is challenging without being impossible c) Will people come all the way to the North Yorks Moors National Park to attempt something like this? I know that's a long way to come, especially if you don't find it, but by way of compensation there's a nice cluster of caches in the area now.

Well here is my opinion:

a)I'd quite enjoy something like this but you need to provide plenty of info up front for planning purposes ie: how long it will take, can it all be walked/cycled from a single start point or will it involve driving to each point, will I need a map - if so which one.etc.

b)Too hard - the important thing is that people are forwarned what is involved after that it's up to them. For example This looks quite hard to work out what to do but at least you know what you have signed up for! Personally I like the Mystery trail idea similar to the Sherlock series of caches in that you get really involved with the process as yoou step towards the final goal. I also like the final goal to be a physical cache then it is a real buzz finding it.

C icon_smile.gif I wouldn't come to North York Moors just for one cache - bit of a long drive. Though if it was local to me (or I was staying up there for a week) I would be straight there. It would be a good way to pass those days on holiday where you just don't want to get back on a mountain bike!

Chris

Guest LazyLeopard

Puzzle caches can be interesting, but also maddening... In a recent thread in the General forum http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001878.html a couple of fairly fiendish ones were mentioned:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13555

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13193

The trickiest I've so far completed is Tomb Raider I http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10307 and that took me two visits 'cos I ran out of light the first time.

I'm slowly working through the Cluedo and Sherlock caches, but as they're somewhat spread out it may be a while before I get round to them all.

I guess some indication of how long a trek is involved does help, though it is implied in the terrain rating.

I guess, if I was in an area, I might be tempted to try a puzzle cache even if it was going to take a day or two to complete... icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard (http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk)

[This message has been edited by LazyLeopard (edited 11 February 2002).]

Guest LazyLeopard

Puzzle caches can be interesting, but also maddening... In a recent thread in the General forum http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001878.html a couple of fairly fiendish ones were mentioned:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13555

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13193

The trickiest I've so far completed is Tomb Raider I http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10307 and that took me two visits 'cos I ran out of light the first time.

I'm slowly working through the Cluedo and Sherlock caches, but as they're somewhat spread out it may be a while before I get round to them all.

I guess some indication of how long a trek is involved does help, though it is implied in the terrain rating.

I guess, if I was in an area, I might be tempted to try a puzzle cache even if it was going to take a day or two to complete... icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard (http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk)

[This message has been edited by LazyLeopard (edited 11 February 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I love puzzle caches a la Tombraider. In fact I've had a brilliant idea for a new one which I will imp[lement soon.

Is that the brilliant idea we were discussing on Saturday? I tried a prototype and I think it will work.

I like your ideas Dylan and would certainly have a go on the N York Moors if I could be sure of doing it in a day, i.e. 5-6 hours to allow travelling time. I wonder if Jeremy might consider having a new cache type to cater for this sort of thing perhaps including some sort of time indication?

------------------

John Stead

Guest dylanhayes

I was wondering about if the sort of cache it is could not be better described somehow.

I considered making it into two parts, with the first part being a virtual cache, which provides the 'key' to the location of the actual cache, but that's a bit clumbsy, and the only 'gain' in doing so is that you get to log two caches instead of one. I think most people are happy with the idea that sometimes you will extend a lot of effort for one, and sometimes very little.

As regards timings, I really don't know how long until somebody figures it out. I would say at least 1-2 hours, but maybe more. But by way of compensation, as well as glorious landscapes there are 4-5 other caches nearby so if you finish early or give up there's plenty more to do.

I will be setting it today or tomorrow. If anybody is interested in doing it first contact me. I will give my mobile number and if you get really really stuck I can text message you a clue. Once I find out if there are any 'bugs' in the puzzle I can adjust the website. If interested please email me.

[This message has been edited by dylanhayes (edited 12 February 2002).]

Guest LazyLeopard

Yep, with Inbound from Proxima I was torn between marking it as virtual (with multiple locations) or as a multi-cache that happens to be virtual.... I settled on the multi-cache icon and a clear reference to it being virtual in the first line of the description. Same goes for the puzzle part. As far as the time it will take to solve is concerned, well, I know that I can walk from the car park to all the locations in sequence and back to the car park in about an hour. I have no idea how long it will take folks to work out the locations. I guess the end of the puzzle could probably be worked out at home afterwards with graph paper and pencil (or some mapping software), provided sufficient notes were made in the field...

Solving it without visiting the site might be possible, given a little local knowledge. If anybody manages this, I'd be interested to know icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Guest LazyLeopard

Yep, with Inbound from Proxima I was torn between marking it as virtual (with multiple locations) or as a multi-cache that happens to be virtual.... I settled on the multi-cache icon and a clear reference to it being virtual in the first line of the description. Same goes for the puzzle part. As far as the time it will take to solve is concerned, well, I know that I can walk from the car park to all the locations in sequence and back to the car park in about an hour. I have no idea how long it will take folks to work out the locations. I guess the end of the puzzle could probably be worked out at home afterwards with graph paper and pencil (or some mapping software), provided sufficient notes were made in the field...

Solving it without visiting the site might be possible, given a little local knowledge. If anybody manages this, I'd be interested to know icon_smile.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Guest dylanhayes

You might not be so pleased about halfway though it unless you are sailing through it. One suggestion somebody who reviewed the cache made was that the local tourist office maybe able to help you with one of the clues.

We love puzzle caches, we just failed to complete the cluedo series, because we did not allow enough time. (our own fault)

As someone has allready said the main thing is that people are forewarned just how difficult it is. And how long it will take (Average).

I have set my own puzzle cache it is a ten part with a physical cache at the end - it did have some 'bugs' but i hope i have fixed them.

I hope to do Tomb raiders and the Sherlocks in the Easter holidays with the kids.

Our most enjoyable cache so far was "Quantum Leap"

even the 5 year loved it and got invoved.

The more puzzle caches the better!!!!

i am in the process of putting out a 4* rating multi cache over a set of hills near me. This should challenge all and involved geography, maths and a good sense of direction!

No clues yet but i can tell you the name so you can watch out for it. "Gorse Grove" icon_biggrin.gif

i am in the process of putting out a 4* rating multi cache over a set of hills near me. This should challenge all and involved geography, maths and a good sense of direction!

No clues yet but i can tell you the name so you can watch out for it. "Gorse Grove" icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

Thanks for your kind words, we think it included a couple of new ideas which took some time to organise. icon_biggrin.gif

We are currently working on Quantum Leap Part 2 now which will be a little more challenging than part1 and hopefully it will be finished for Easter so you could have a busy time.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

Thanks for your kind words, we think it included a couple of new ideas which took some time to organise. icon_biggrin.gif

We are currently working on Quantum Leap Part 2 now which will be a little more challenging than part1 and hopefully it will be finished for Easter so you could have a busy time.

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif