How far would you go?

We finalised our Camping Holiday in France the other day and then I thought why not check out the caches in that area.

Well, there aren't any! So, do we look for a different area to camp or leave the GPSr at home?

How much does caching affect your holiday plans?

Dirk

"There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"

Last holiday I took I planned the holiday and took my GPSr in case there were any caches in the area. The next holiday I have planned in centred on going to the Winchester Cache Bash, with plans to spend the rest of the week caching in the area, so that holiday is entirely geocaching based. icon_biggrin.gif

Well both of our main holidays this year were booked before we knew about Geocaching, but as we would travel around anyway looking for interesting places then geocaching fitted in quite nicely. We let Geocaching take us to the nice places. We've had a week in the Lake District and found nice caches there and in September we are in Yorkshire. Hopefully we find lots of caches there to. In future we will consider Geoaching a lot when we do holidays. We won't go anywhere were there aren't any.....

A thousand miles or so?! icon_biggrin.gif

When I first discovered Geocaching, it was 5 days before we were due to fly to Spain. So I hurriedly bought a GPS on Ebay, saved all the "local" Caches onto the Laptop and we flew out to Southern Spain very hopeful!

Our first ever cache found was on Gibraltar and is still a very happy memory (and also began a pattern of caching in the rain!).

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

I thought about doing a little caching when me and Mrs adrianjohn go to Florida this summer, but she looked over my shoulder as I was checking out some caches near Clearwater.

Dont even think about it., said Mrs adrianjohn, and I suppose she is right as we are celebrating our twenty fifth wedding anniversary while we are away.

Have boots and GPSr, will cache for fun!

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

I thought about doing a little caching when me and Mrs adrianjohn go to Florida this summer, but she looked over my shoulder as I was checking out some caches near Clearwater.

Dont even think about it., said Mrs adrianjohn, and I suppose she is right as we are celebrating our twenty fifth wedding anniversary while we are away.

You need to do a little arm twisting. I've been to Florida the last couple of years with my daughter and of course whilst there are the Disney caches around Orlando, once you get away from there you can find some fantastic caches in nature reserves and the like. This one was particularly nice.

Just as in the UK, Florida caches will take you to some of the hidden gems that tourists would never see. I think if you choose wisely you could probably get away with it.

Alex.

---------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

Just as in the UK, Florida caches will take you to some of the hidden gems that tourists would never see. I think if you choose wisely you could probably get away with it.

Alex.

Thanks for that Alex, our time there is precious but I may be able to sneak off for a while. It looks like there are a few close to our hotel. Shirley is not the slightest bit interested in caches, so it may be hard.

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

Same here for our planned 25th in New Zealand next spring. First thing she said was' Forget taking that GPS in your suitcase.'

I tried the old one of 'But think of all the extra views that we'll see.' Now I just have to work out how to sneak all my gear in my bag. icon_biggrin.gif

One day my sigline will stop changing.

Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". icon_smile.gif

thataway is the last place I ever found signs of anyone getting in here...

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

If you would like to have a say in the future of geocaching in the UK, please visit http://www.gagb.org.uk

All the way to Peru from Norfolk via Glasgow, Amsterdam, and Aruba. 4 days trek along the Inca Trail, couldn't get at the one in Ollyantambo, someone had swiped the Macchu Picchu ones, I forgot to hide mine at Dead womans pass, and to cap it all, someone was a few days behind me placing loads of new ones.

Agggghhhhhhh!! icon_frown.gif

We have a cache in France but no one has found it yet. How are you getting over? By ferry to Cherbourg would get you close to our cache at Tocqueville.

We always plan our holidays around caching now. Even when we came over for a canal trip we found caches near the canal. We try to plan long road trips with a break near a cache too.

'Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!'

Eleanor Roosevelt

We are at this precise moment on a campsite in the South of France (laptops and mobiles with GPRS are just wonderful). We also booked our holiday before taking up geocaching so no plans, but we are doing some caches.

We have even placed a micro cache while we are here :-)

For us I think it will always be, where first, caches second.

WoodSmoke

Logo5.gif GeocacheUK - very useful resources for the UK Geocaching community

For us I think it will always be, where first, caches second.

WoodSmoke

/QUOTE]

We agree with WoodSmoke.

We are going to La Loire Valley (near Angers) and there is only one cache within reasonable driving distance. But we are not going to miss out going places just because there aren't any caches there.