See ya later alligators

Huga

I'm doing a Pid and taking a break from these forums for a few weeks.

Frankly these forums have become a wasteland of politics, poorly-thought-out posts and bad jokes in recent weeks. Until a few weeks ago it was a really nice place to chill and discuss those things relevant to the concept of the board. [1]

Ho hum.

I might post as and when new features get added to EasyMPS, so no worries there.

Oh, can a mod locking this thread for me?, 'cos I ain't looking for sympathy "Oh please don't leave us" replies icon_smile.gif

Chill out, guys icon_wink.gif

[1] Yes, I am aware of the irony of posting this decision in a fairly off-topic post.

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

icon_frown.gificon_frown.gifWould just like to add my reason is simply because I was a complete idiot and I dont want to annoy anyone anymore.

I dont hold any grudges, Im just sorry for the bad joke. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

See ya

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Huga:

Frankly these forums have become a wasteland of politics, poorly-thought-out posts and bad jokes in recent weeks.

Errr.... when has this forum ever been anything but the above?

Politics... well if we do discuss politics, that is good IMHO.

Poorly thought out posts... every since I've been reading the forum there have been poorly thought out posts on it. I acknowledge guilt on more than my fair share. At least they're often funnier than the...

Bad jokes... so what?

Don't forget *you* are a contributor. By refusing to take part, you make the forum poorer as does anybody else (even you Pid).

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I don't think anyone of us should feel personally responsible for the changes in this forum.

the changes have been due to a number of factors and pressures, it's worth just thinking about them.

The community was split on the subject of recruitment/expansion, and had a varied response to publicity courted by various members. The result being unexpected self questioning about how should the "sport" go.

By accident we had a first contact with another group whose interests overlap with ours, the contact and response were completly alien cultures meeting and colliding.

The actions and attempts to restore equilibrium took a lot of work by a lot of people not least our moderators.

In addition the contact with others forced us to re-evaluate our own values and the way we "play the game".

I appreciate this must make these forums really wierd places for any new cacher. I wouldn't be surprised by anyone deciding to take a back seat after all that's happened.

I have the feeling that this is a time of "ordeal by fire" for the geocaching community.

It's a good job the Firemen are not planning anymore strikes for a while!

There you have it- politics. bad humour and a poorly thought out post all at the same time! icon_rolleyes.gif

Cache the Bug-Geocaching

*pokes head up and says one more thing before going back down again*

I have every intention of coming back just gonna lie low for a couple of weeks....so not to touch a nerve. I aint leaving everyone totally...icon_wink.gif

Remember: NICE AND SAFE ATTITUDE all the way folks.....

hehe....Nice and Safe Attitude: actually I wont even mention what the first letters spell..... icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Team Minim:

I don't think anyone of us should feel personally responsible for the changes in this forum.

Things haven't changed much, we have always been having heated arguments about stuff. When i first joined, it was using caches to promote your own commercial interests. The tone is the same, it's just the subjects that are different.

quote:

the changes have been due to a number of factors and pressures, it's worth just thinking about them.

Yes, absolutely.

quote:

The community was split on the subject of recruitment/expansion, and had a varied response to publicity courted by various members. The result being unexpected self questioning about how should the "sport" go.

which is good to discuss

quote:

By accident we had a first contact with another group whose interests overlap with ours, the contact and response were completly alien cultures meeting and colliding.

which is good to discuss

quote:

I appreciate this must make these forums really wierd places for any new cacher. I wouldn't be surprised by anyone deciding to take a back seat after all that's happened.

I have the feeling that this is a time of "ordeal by fire" for the geocaching community.

As I said, it was ordeal by fire of a different sort when I joined. The day I leave the forums is the day there are no ordeals by fire for fear of offending somebody.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Dear Mr Huga,

I agree with Jeremy on this one, if all you guys did was talk about plastic tuppaware and GPS all day long it would be way boring icon_wink.gif,,, PID dont be afraid to speak your mind, if people dont like it then tough it aint "all" their world is it?

Personally speaking I think geocachers are interesting people and UK geocachers the most interesting (at least when it comes to bulletin boards). The diversity is great so if you all leave I'll stop reading and that would spoil my day. This place is prime time entertainment icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

Dear Mr Huga,

I agree with Jeremy on this one, if all you guys did was talk about plastic tuppaware and GPS all day long it would be way boring .......

talking about GPS and tuppaware, when are you going to use the former to go out and find the latter? icon_wink.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

talking about GPS and tuppaware, when are you going to use the former to go out and find the latter?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

-----------------------------------------------

What are you implying here icon_confused.gif, Do you think I am a troll because I have no stats.

I'm sure el10t would confirm this but stats are not all they are cracked up to be icon_wink.gif and can be very misleading if required icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

Do you think I am a troll because I have no stats.

I'm sure el10t would confirm this but stats are not all they are cracked up to be icon_wink.gif and can be very misleading if required icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Yes, I can confirm that you have no stats. icon_biggrin.gif

Statistics used (and produced) with integrity are a very valuable tool. The misuse of statistics or misunderstanding of statistics is what gives the whole thing a bad name. Us pro's spend a good deal of time having to defend what we produce against people who are determined to misuse them.

However, all the statistics produced by GC.com and GUK.com are only a bit of fun so I wouldn't get too stressed about it.

[Added on rereading - apologies for this post being off-topic but I thought I had better make a response as a statto]

Rich

mobilis in mobili

[This message was edited by el10t on February 07, 2003 at 01:24 AM.]

------------------------------------------------

What are you implying here icon_confused.gif, Do you think I am a troll because I have no stats.

------------------------------------------------

Not really - I'm just wondering why you haven't "officially" done anything in nine months, except post to the forums? Have you tried geocaching? icon_wink.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum