Help with software ??

Can anyone tell me what I can use the data link cable that came with my etrex legend for. i am not a techie, and the booklet that came with it was pretty scant. I have seen on screen maps with routes on them, is that possible ??

Pepperpot is actually my dog, she's a miniature schnauzer that comes on all our cache hunts.

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Ambu:

First, Is it the Etrex venture or a more sophisticated model?

<snip>

Lance - Perhaps you need to remove those sunglasses - pepperpot said it was an

quote:
etrex legend
icon_biggrin.gif

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

Secondly,

Examine the case of the unit carefully. It will have a collection of letters on it that resemble a word eg like "Legend". This word is not visible to those who have not been trained in its use, or people in sunglasses.

icon_cool.gif

042502_2217_1578_prv.gif It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

quote:
Originally posted by pepperpot:

Can anyone tell me what I can use the data link cable that came with my etrex legend for. i am not a techie, and the booklet that came with it was pretty scant. I have seen on screen maps with routes on them, is that possible ??

Let me try to answer the question instead of yakking about sunglasses icon_smile.gif

The data cable is for

a) downloading tracks , waypoints and routes from your GPS receiver

:D uploading waypoints, tracks and routes to your GPS

c) loading more detailed maps into your GPS.

To do this you need some software on your PC. EasyGPS is a good start cos its free and you can use it to download waypoints from geocaching.com and then into your receiver.

To do the maps, you need Mapsource (from Garmin, not free).

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.gagb.org.uk

Thanks for all your help.

I have downloaded easygps, it looks great for downloading waypoints.

But I suspect that the mapping feature is only relavent for USA users

thanks again

Pepperpot is actually my dog, she's a miniature schnauzer that comes on all our cache hunts.

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Let me try to answer the question instead of yakking about sunglasses icon_smile.gif

I thought I did. icon_cool.gif

And Easy gps will link the waypoint to a map for you.

While I'm here - what about the shades in the Matrix, then Cool or what?? icon_cool.gif

042502_2217_1578_prv.gif It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Ambu:

While I'm here - what about the shades in the Matrix, then Cool or what?? icon_cool.gif

Not arf! I gotta get me a pair! and did you like the "to be continued" bit? ARGH! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhoo, back to topic (not like me, eh?!):

Don't forget EasyMPS. Very useful indeed, eh Huga?! icon_wink.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

What Trolls?

quote:

I thought I did. icon_cool.gif

And Easy gps will link the waypoint to a map for you.

<snip> Matrix & Shades stuff <snip>>

You could also try 'Wayppoint Workbench' from this site http://www.sheps.clara.net/

It takes a bit of getting used to and it links to the appropriate 'Streetmap' with an arrow showing where the co-ords are - good stuff. (Note the arrow can sometimes be difficult to spot, especially when wearing sunglasses icon_biggrin.gif)

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

[This message was edited by Motley Crew on May 23, 2003 at 01:15 PM.]

quote:

The data cable is for

:( uploading waypoints, tracks and routes to your GPS

<start pedantic mode>

No - a data cable is for connecting your GPSr to your PC. Nothing more, nothing less (and possibly connecting to a pwer supply in some cases)

<end pedantic mode>

<sig line censored!!!>

quote:
Originally posted by wossa:

quote:

The data cable is for

:( uploading waypoints, tracks and routes to your GPS

<start pedantic mode>

No - a data cable is for connecting your GPSr to your PC. Nothing more, nothing less (and possibly connecting to a pwer supply in some cases)

<end pedantic mode>

<sig line censored!!!>

Pedantic for sure: without the cable you cannot do any of the above...

What Trolls?

quote:

<start pedantic mode>

<end pedantic mode>

<sig line censored!!!>

Surely a cable that connects your GPSr to a power supply is called a "power cable". A data cable is for transmitting data (there's a clue in the name believe it or not). Also, it doesn't have to be a PC on the other end.

Also being pedantic means being unnecessarily precise not unnecessarily wrong as this and previous posts have demonstrated your post was icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by pepperpot:

.... and the booklet that came with it was pretty scant.....

The other guys have given you the information you need regagarding the data/power/whatever cable but no one has mentioned the 'booklet'.

You can download a full manual for the Legend (and all other Garmin GPS receivers) from the Garmin web site. In the case of the Legend, it's in A4 size full, colour and the font is big enough to be read easily without a magnifying glass.

I found it very useful when I first got my Legend.

John

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:

quote:

<start pedantic mode>

<end pedantic mode>

<sig line censored!!!>

Surely a cable that connects your GPSr to a power supply is called a "power cable". A data cable is for transmitting data (there's a clue in the name believe it or not). Also, it doesn't have to be a PC on the other end.

Excuse me. Have you never seen those clever little cables that connect to a GPSr at one end and have two plugs at the other - one for power and one for data? The clue to their purpose is in the words 'Power' AND 'Data'.

I think el10t, even you would agree that a proper Data cable (with or without a power component) will give a better result than a piece of string. I sort of made the assumtion that that was fairly obvious.

quote:

Also, it doesn't have to be a PC on the other end.

Well you were the one to mention PC first

quote:

Also being pedantic means being unnecessarily precise not unnecessarily wrong as this and previous posts have demonstrated your post was icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

If we're into defining 'pedantic' I like this definition from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Pedantic: - narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

I'm sure you would recognise that icon_wink.gif

<sig line censored!!!>

quote:

I think el10t, even you would agree that a proper Data cable (with or without a power component) will give a better result than a piece of string.

Would that be wet string or dry string ? icon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:

I think el10t, even you would agree that a proper Data cable (with or without a power component) will give a better result than a piece of string. I sort of made the assumtion that that was fairly obvious.

In response to my post saying a data cable was for transmitting data, you said it was merely for connecting a PC to a GPSr and maybe transmitting power. As el10t pointed out, this falls short of the requirement to be a data cable i.e. merely being connected is not enough to be called a data cable.

If you are claiming your original post implies a data cable is for transmitting data then why did you make it in response to my post which said a data cable is for transmitting data?

-------

jeremyp

Jeremy, your exact words were:

The data cable is for

:D uploading waypoints, tracks and routes to your GPS

My exact words (including original spelling mistake) were:

I would maintain that my original statement is correct. If you had said "The data cable is used WHEN" blah, blah, blah then no argument. The cable is used to connect the two devices together so that the above can happen. I does not CAUSE them to happen it ALLOWS them to happen.

Yes, a piece of string can connect a GPSr & PC (or even a housebrick) but I defy anybody to do any downloading with it (unless the whole kit and caboodle get downloaded to the bottom of a convenient river/lake) icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

<sig line censored!!!>

quote:

But what you're describing is not a data cable. It's a 'Power' AND 'Data' cable! icon_wink.gif

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

You could also use the cable to trip up unwanted night-time wanderers, like me wandering to the fridge for a midnight snack.

And no, I didn't use the my power/data cable to connect my fridge to the mains and also to my PC to order food online... frog.gif