Background images on cache pages

quote:
Originally posted by dawnrazor:

statement.

Ed.

Yes, just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*. Although with this particular example I can see why it was done and i think it was quite amusing.

Although I admit I was thinking Blackadder III and not the original Jane Austin when i first saw it icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

Well, I don't see any harm unless the background is offensive or otherwise in poor taste.

The only extra Geocaching.com resources that are used is just that text '

' (about 65 letters). The images are not stored on Jeremy's server (but on mine) so does not even use any of his bandwidth. Compare this to a photo on a cache page which does use both bandwidth and disc space.

The background statement is a function of HTML (and therefore a function of the visitors browser) and whilst a script could be written to remove it, I doubt if Jeremy would consider that desireable but if he said 'please no backgrounds' I would of course comply.

If anything, the problem lies with the HTML specification which alows the 'background' statement to be placed anywhere in the page rather than at the beginning in the 'head' or 'body' declaration.

The page mentioned above is our page and we thought the background lent itself to the subject and enhanced the page. If you don't like it, I'm sorry.

As I said, if the background is not offensive or otherwise in poor taste, what's the problem ?

Just our tuppenceworth ...

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

I dont mind one way or another what the pages look like and whether they all conform to the standard geocaching template. I'm all for a bit of flair and individuality only I've just seen this sort of thing get "discovered" in other places and next thing you know, someone has started adding undesirable javascript and so on from there. Before you know it you have popups for someones company, cookies and god knows what else going on.

Just would hate to see that happen here. It's why forums like this use UBB code for urls and images etc.

Eddie

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

The images are not stored on Jeremy's server (but on mine) so does not even use any of his bandwidth.

So the fact that I was able to see the image means that you've solved your web hosting problems then icon_smile.gif

Your use of your own disk space and bandwidth for the image is offset by the fact that my cache log on my own web site uses links to the smiley and sad faces on geocaching.com thus avoiding using my bandwidth and disk quota for those images.

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

It's arguable that a body tag within the body should be ignored, as, IIRC, they're not supposed to be nestable. Whatever...

I agree, but it does work. Probably fail on more obscure browsers though. icon_smile.gif

quote:

The downside comes when the host site for the image is unavailable.

In which case the page will revert to the standard background.

quote:

I'm not keen on backgrounds that make the text unreadable. Black text on dark navy blue or purple, anyone? icon_wink.gif

You first ! icon_smile.gif

We did think of replacing the white background with black text on a black background. Just to make it a little more difficult. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:...and I've seen pages with black-on-black too.

I've seen this too - used to good effect on a games page somewhere. The black-on-black text was used to hide a give-away hint to something or other. The way to read it was to highlight it with the mouse so it inverted or something.

Actually, I think there was also a "Jonathan Creek" episode where some vital clue was hidden in white text on a white background in the white space between paragraphs in a diary someone was keeeping on their laptop.

El10t

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

I've seen this too - used to good effect on a games page somewhere. The black-on-black text

We refer to those as scratch'n'sniff at work - what exciting lives we lead icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

Actually, I think there was also a "Jonathan Creek" episode where some vital clue was hidden in white text on a white background in the white space between paragraphs in a diary someone was keeeping on their laptop.

There was indeed - can't remember what the episode was called though.

6279_200.jpg