How long is "temporary"?

washboy

I've noticed several caches that are "temporarily archived" but which have been that way for months.

What's worse, some don't even give an explanation for their suspension!

Do the cache approvers normally monitor this sort of thing, i.e. are there guidelines as to when a cache should be fully archived or is it left up to the cache owner to decide?

I post the question here, rather than simply mailing T&J, because others might also be interested in the answer.

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

I have a cache that is temporarily archived at the moment, and it has been like that for two weeks.

My reason is this: I have the intention of replacing it, but before I do, I would like to speak to the local residents, as I have a feeling that someone within watching distance saw me place the cache/finder come along and look for it, and removed it.

I would like to discuss the matter with them before replacing it, to make sure they don't think anything dodgy is going on. I've spoken to a few, and they think the game sounds quite interesting, but I haven't managed to get in contact with everyone (yet).

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

I also have one that is temporarily archived and will be replacing it when I return from Florida.

Often replacing a cache that has been vandalised is like placing a cache for the first time and requires thought and planning to try to ensure that it does not happen again.

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

I have just temp archived one of mine as it was trashed. I am hoping to replace it but in a better hidden place. I did have it in a very easily accessable place with attracted the attention of a number of non cachers some of which joined up after finding it but unfortunatly one of the minority found it and trashed it.

I hope to enable this again in a few weeks. If it goes on for months and I dont get the time then I would delete it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

I also have one that is temporarily archived and will be replacing it when I return from Florida.

Often replacing a cache that has been vandalised is like placing a cache for the first time and requires thought and planning to try to ensure that it does not happen again.

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

Hurry up then Merman, I'm fast running out of local caches! I had to venture into Winchester of all places at the weekend... icon_wink.gif

Joking aside, I get the feeling that archiving is probably a case-by-case thing: a hider may become disenamoured with the whole GC thing and just forget about it, but a lot of hiders would most likely want to continue encouraging folks to visit a certain place for it's beauty value etc, so replacing a trashed cache makes sense, albeit in a slightly different spot.

There are, I'm sure, a myriad reasons for archiving a cache other than just that it's been trashed. Accidental placing on private land (very easily done), owner no longer able to maintain it etc...

I guess the "temp" waiting time would then vary accordingly.

Neutiquam erro.