Geocaching wildlife encounters

We've just had to suspend our Bear's Lair cache. We picked a great place to hide it, away from prying eyes, nice and snug and cosy. icon_cool.gif Only problem is Mrs. Blackbird agrees with us and has decided to build her nest, complete with egg, slap bang on top of it. icon_rolleyes.gif (Thanks to Zcat for letting us know about this - bet you all got a suprise when you reached in to pull the cache out!)

This set us wondering - what other strange wildlife encounters have you had while you've been out caching? (Have heard about a couple of US caches that were eaten by bears - presumably Tupperware = Picnic if you're a bear)

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tate:

...whilst returning from 'Royalty Hunters' in the New Forest. It was an Adder too!

Adders are pretty shy of showing themselves - you were lucky to see one in the wild.

It would have been more appropriate to find the snake whilst doing the "Fierce Creatures" cache!

-----------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Moss Trooper:

Well I was out doing a cache at weekend.. ended up in woods an couldn't find it.. that made me pretty wild.. do that Count icon_smile.gif

I plead guilty to sending Moss Trooper in the wrong direction icon_biggrin.gif pays him back for the Water of Tyne incident where I walked over the cache at least 10 times before finding it icon_wink.gif

6279_200.jpg

Dan and I were doing a cachathon in the Herts area about a month back.

We took a wrong turn down an industrial estate....and by god I never thought I would see so many rabbits in the same field....Thousands of them....it was like a Bunny stampede. Kinda Sweet.

Also we almost got our hands bitten off by a Badger in the Intermissendens Hole..Which is always nice.

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan + Pid)

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tate:

...whilst returning from 'Royalty Hunters' in the New Forest. It was an Adder too!

Team Tate - rest assured that apparently adder bites are surprisingly uncommon and not too serious. Most cause vomiting and localized swelling only, and there have been only 14 deaths due to adder bites in the last 125 years in Britain.

-----------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

Yup, most Adder bites in the UK are sustained by people flopping down on big flat rocks warmed in the sun without looking (coincidentally the exact location favoured by adders sunning themselves to gain body heat) - rather than by prodding it accidentally with a big poky stick, or by putting their hand in a hole with an adder in it.

6279_200.jpg

I saw a baby Slow Worm while doing Room 101 last weekend. I used to be able to catch them. I did not even try with this one. It went like the clappers.

I Saw a Green Woodpecker (Like on the cider bottles) when I did 'I left my Heart...'

There is a point to this. We should all take take not to trample our precious wildlife areas, and if anybody finds a cache site that has animals that could be disturbed (Such as nests etc) they really should be suspended (or moved)until the the chicks have fledged and gone.

I don't know about you but I have been lifing up branches and checking loose cover with my walking pole as these are the sort of places that Snakes like to hide...

Chris Franklin

Came across our first rattle snake on our very first cache hunt in Southern California, (‘someone said how did you know its a rattle snake’ – ‘its the noise that gives it away’) Rattlers are fairly common occurrence, big problem for dog walkers, dogs seem to think, 'cool a stick'. Also been to a cache guarded by a tarantula (it was about the size of our etrax), this really freaked out the other half of the Zcat team, I wasn’t too keen myself. Took me about a week to persuade her it'll be fine there really rare, honest, you can leave the house now.

After all that had to admit the Two Bears blackbird made us jump a bit, there I was thinking we were safely back in England and let my guard down and wham even the birds are jumping out at us. Anyway hopefully we didn’t disturb it too much, we left as soon as we realized.

Is this the first geocaching nursery?

In the area of my "look out for hissing Sid" cache. there are adders in the area as a few signs warn. I have seen Two last year and rescued another that an old dear was trying to beat to death in the front garden of her chalet on the site with a plastic kiddys spade. I coaxed it into a bucket and released it up on the sea wall with it's mates. It did not like having it's picture taken as it tried to have a go at me. (What gratitude).

[This message was edited by McDehack on May 01, 2002 at 02:21 PM.]