How many cachers take dogs caching??

djh

I have often wondered how many cachers have dogs and take them caching with them.

We have tried teach Millie (our loopy cocker spaniel) to find caches, but with no success, on occasions she has sniffed around caches before we have discovered them but I am sure this is just a coincidence.

Today we visited a cache just for Millie because we knew it had all the thing she likes:- long grass, muddy puddles, large open spaces, sticks to chase and chew a picnic and of course rivers. Well it was her birthday, see her birthday snaps!!!

Click Here

Click Here

Has any one else visited a cache because they knew their dog would enjoy it??

DJH

Happy Birthday Millie,

Our loopy cocker spaniel hasn't managed to find a cache yet but does like to bark at absolutley nothing, to attract attention when you are writing in the log book!

We try to choose caches with a decent W.A.L.K to them so that the D.O.G. gets to have a run about. We don't know Boysies birthday and are not to sure of his age (between 4 & 5 is the guess from the RSPCA) so we will celebrate the aniversery of his arrival in our lives.

Was the cake a special doggy cake or was it just a normal one?

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Our labrador, Pip, thinks she has got the hang of the game and has started jumping into bushes,and rushing under low trees...fine as long as she is not on the lead. We have to be very careful about picking up the GPS or the bag of cache goodies if we are not planning an outing, a disappointed dog is a terrible thing!

We only take Pip along if there is going to be a bit of a walk and we would probably have left her at home today if we had known about all the playful lambs waiting to ambush her near the cache site. If only the nearly teenage son looked as if he was enjoying himself as much as the dog...

W've just had a new addition to our Geocaching family (Maggie) as seen on our avatar! We have another 4 weeks yet until she can go public, so have been practising around the garden! Get them while they are young!

We haven't managed to do many caches recently as we aren't able to leave her too long so will have to make up for lost time icon_biggrin.gif

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

quote:
Originally posted by djh:

I have often wondered how many cachers have dogs and take them caching with them.

<snip>

We regularly take Amber to the caches we have set and also places we recce for potential cache sites. For our hunting trips, as she's getting on a bit (10 years old), it is always a bit difficult to know exactly how far we are going to have to walk and what other animals are going to be around. She adores people but is not too friendly icon_mad.gif towards other 4 legged critters!

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

I take my old lurcher Tanner (around 9 yrs old - from a rescue so unsure of true age but I've had him 7 yrs and he wasn't a pup when he arrived!) and my young dachshund Dylan. I'm trying to train the dachshund to sniff out tupperware. My avatar is the first cache he ever found with us.

Dog-friendly caches are my faves and my son tells the dogs to help look when we're close!

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

We have taken our three dogs on our first two hunts, however, stoker, 12yrs old, when we went out today, took one look at the car, went back into the house and curled up under the window, the look in his face was, again? no chance, it's raining icon_smile.gif

Life is just an illusion, albeit a very elaborate one.

My dog Max is a border Terrier and he comes on most cache hunts with me. He hasn't quite got the hang of it yet though! When I have found the cache, which he waits patiently for, he then expects a 10 mile hike and can't understand why I head back to the car after ten minutes!!

(Every one needs a bigger letterbox!)

We take our two dogs with us - Caz and Andme. They love the walk, the hunting for the cache and the nosing around inside the tupperware box <g>

Perhaps with all these posts, it would be nice if those placing caches indicated whether it is dog friendly or not - what do you think?

I sometimes take TJ, a border collie belonging to friends, who's about 8, and occasionally my nephew's labrador cross Rocky, who's about 3.

The first time I took TJ, he found the cache before me, but since then he just watches me search and comes over for a desultory sniff when I find it. Rocky isn't interested in caches at all - they don't run away to be chased.

Bill

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him on a car ride, he sticks his head out the window? icon_confused.gif

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

I take my cavalier king charles spaniel (Misty) with me most of the time. I also log her (as MistyDog) into the cache log when she has accompanied me. She struggles with some of the caches hidden in heavy undergrowth as she is so low-slung. Also, whenever I find a cache, she tries to climb onto my lap and get at the log book or into the cache. One of these day.....

Hey DustyJacket - you have a very handsome dachshund there! I have a mini long haired but the smooths are just gorgeous too!

26235427.jpg

Sam

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

[This message was edited by Rockratgirl on May 28, 2003 at 04:24 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Nice Doxie.

I'll bet the long hair catches the nettles.

Ahhh but he has us trained already - he's only 18 wks old and already he knows when its too brambly/muddy/wet/uphill on a walk and simply sits in front of us asking (with pleading Doxie eyes) to be carried!

Sam

Hi Rockratgirl we like the picture of your doggie.At the moment we have cannot have one as we lead a rather hectic life but we have a rather large ginger cat who will not come caching with us .He just turns his back on us as he sees the rucksacs and the boots disapear out of the door,watches us leave then nips back through his catflapto get down to do some serious sleeping.Afraid I have not mastered the art of pitting piccies up as yet but I am going to learn.We hope to meet you somewhere near Alston if we can find the cached grid refs .Are you bringing any of your pets with you? icon_smile.gificon_smile.giffrog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Hungry Caterpillars:

Hi Rockratgirl Are you bringing any of your pets with you? icon_smile.gificon_smile.giffrog.gif

Out of the 17 pets, I think we will only be able to bring the 2 dogs to Alston! The rescued rodents prefer to stay home and gnaw things!

If you have your piccies online then its easy to post them here - inside the "Post a Reply" box there is a clicky box at the top which looks like a picture - use that to add the link to where your piccy is online & voila!

My attempt to stay on topic icon_wink.gif -

26235325.jpg

Sam