Most found in a day

Hi

My wife does Market reasearch for a living. You know those people that stop you in the street asking you stupid quetions about stupid topics that more than likely nobodys realy bothered about anyway. (well it pays the bills anyway)

I thought i would do my own bit of reasearch.

I was wondering what is the most caches found in a day and what sort of distance traveled in the day. Thats from leaving base, ( i wont say home because some people may be on holiday)and getting back to base

Cheers

BountyHunter1 icon_eek.gif

Most in a day - 17

Furthest travelled for a cache (well 3 actually) 5250 miles London to San Francisco!! Does that count? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

[This message was edited by The Hornet on March 03, 2003 at 01:19 PM.]

17 in one day, with a very small trip distance (this was in the Bracknell area).

I was visitng my brother who lives near there, so the caches weren't too far out of my way.

But had I driven there and back, it would have been about 250 miles.

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

Here's a list of the top 50 trips in terms of numbers of caches found.

(I get a mention right down there near the bottom for the standard "Bracknell Cache Grab"!) icon_biggrin.gif

My greatest distance travelled was Buxton - Winchester, for the cachers meet in January. No chance of getting up early enough to drive down in time, so I came down the night before and pitched the tent in the local campsite. Don't know if that technically counts, as it's more than one day, but I think it should if only out of sympathy for the amount it rained that night!

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

Most in a day - 17

Furthest travelled for a cache (well 3 actually) 5250 miles London to San Francisco!! Does that count? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Only if you went to San Francisco just to do the caches. If you went there for some other reason and happened to do the caches as well, it doesn't count.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

Most in a day - 17

Only if you went to San Francisco _just_ to do the caches. If you went there for some other reason and happened to do the caches as well, it doesn't count.

That was precisely why I went on the trip icon_biggrin.gif (well I also had one round of golf) but I wanted to give myself a present of a week's almost uninterrupted geocaching. I have to say it was great fun icon_cool.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Well

I suppose being as how i started this topic i should contribute my meagre effort. As i only started caching just after Christmas i havn't done that much but Sunday 2nd March i did Hey diddle diddle and 85 miles. Monday 3rd March i did Aliens Hideaway and Susan Stranks Country and about 77 miles. No where near what you lot have done but its early days yet. What with batteries, Petrol, ware and tear on the car ,wear and tear on me, and washing powder to cleanse my clothes this aint a cheap sport icon_rolleyes.gif

Strangers are only friends you have not met yet

quote:
Originally posted by lathama:

9 is my top but i think if i went to the states then it would be more cause there are loads so close together!

My top is 9 as well, though they were found on a particularly hot summers day in June last year, and were all in London, and I used no transport other than my feet to get between them.

It was certainly a hard day's caching.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter1:

No where near what you lot have done but its early days yet. What with batteries, Petrol, ware and tear on the car ,wear and tear on me, and washing powder to cleanse my clothes this aint a cheap sport icon_rolleyes.gif

I never thought about factoring in the cost of washing powder...good point though. I've lost count of the number of times I've slid down slippery banks, fell down rabbit holes and generally got mucky. icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by lathama:

9 is my top but i think if i went to the states then it would be more cause there are loads so close together!

Soon, soon! icon_biggrin.gif

Mr Travers thinks he'll be spending time relaxing...

Lolling about doing nothing would drive me nuts, and I'm the one with the car.

The wife & I tend to do caches the hard way. Usually we cycle to a cache, up to 25 miles each way is the longest trip so far.

When you look at East Anglia (excluding Thetford & Norwich), you see that doing one at a time is logical. For more distant caches, we take the car part of the way and leave it in a carpark.

Yep! we are dead slow in our caching and even slower when the weather is poor - but we probably burn the most calories per cache! icon_biggrin.gif

Sue & Bernie

Thanks for the above comment.

You're right I have logged 20. I did do 22, I will check my gps and update the logs. As for the ones I didn't find, I logged them as found due to the fact that one of them I am not 100% convinced is still there and the other I didn't want to compromise due to the amount of people in the area.

I had a fantastic day out but had to drive an awfully long way to start caching on the day so wanted to make it worthwhile. I will add my other logs when I work out which ones I missed.

Thank you for double checking.

Hi Sparticus,

When you go to log a cache visit, there are some radio buttons where you can select 'Found' or 'Not Found', so you can still log your adventure without saying that you found the cache. Saying that you found it when you didn't can cause problems, because people see the smiley face and assume the cache is still there, when in fact it might not be.

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

You should change your logs.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=23295

If you didn't find the cows, then you didn't find the cache. This is a "Not Found"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=16120

"I had a quick rummage but was unable to locate the cache."

If you didn't find the box for whatever reason, then you didn't find the cache. This is a "Not Found"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14040

"I'm sorry I couldn't find it. "

You log says it all. This is a "Not Found"

I can understand your enthusiasm for hitting a big number in a day, but if you don't find the cache then log it as "not Found" or as a "Note"

quote:
Originally posted by Norfolk & Goode:

If you didn't find the cows, then you didn't find the cache. This is a "Not Found"

It's a virtual. The answer might be zero, but the fact that it's a virtual means the cows probably aren't real ones. If they have been removed, the cache needs disabling so a "not found" log would have been useful to the cache owner to give him a clue to go and check.

quote:

Yours was the first log since October. I always think carefully before attempting caches that haven't been found for ages. It could be that several people have looked, not found but decided not to log. IMHO not logging at all is worse than logging a found when you didn't actually find. At least the text of your logs says "not found".

quote:

You log says it all. This is a "Not Found"

You mention something in your log that was only referred to in the encrypted part of the cache page. Etiquette says you should encrypt the log.

There are a few unwritten rules of etiquette wrt logging.

1. Log failures as well as success. In a way logging failures is more important to the cache owner than a success. It might be saying something important viz, the cache is gone. You might think it's a dent in your ego, but after a while you'll come to think of the failure logs as being like scars. If you don't understand that, it's because you haven't seen Lethal Weapon 3.

2. If your log gives away anything that is in the encrypted part of the page, encrypt your log.

3. Be honest

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Sparticus:

OKAY OKAY. Due to popular demand things have been changed. I visited 22 but found nineteen. I wasn't meaning to cheat, I got a little carried away. I hope this now clears me from any more geobashing PLEASE, ENOUGH.

Norfolk and Goode, Where is your log for dalby forest cows icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

The Dalby Forest caches were part of the Great Yorkshire Cache Hunt, which was an event held last year. Quite a lot of participants were part of teams that day and I was one of them. The team logged the cache, not the individual. Be assured though that I saw the cows with my own eyes.

You might be interested to know that quite a lot of the teams that day didn't find the cows (or the mushrooms for that matter), so you aren't alone.

Go back and take a closer look. They ARE there I will guarantee it. Dalby is a lovely place, well worth re-visiting.

Glad to see that you have changed your logs now. Be assured that there was no animosity in this, I'm sorry if you thought there was. I'm just one of those old fashioned people who believe in fair play.

NFG

quote:

...but after a while you'll come to think of the failure logs as being like scars. If you don't understand that, it's because you haven't seen Lethal Weapon 3.

Indeed! I really like the "not found" logs I have posted. They provide me with some sort of nemesis against which I must wipe my slate clean in the future.

Sadly, one of my not-founds was Rincewind and Luggages "Blue Lagoon". I searched for this ages ago without success, and posted a not found log. Since then I have kept meaning to go back and re-hunt it - particularly as when I met R&L at a cache-meet and mentioned my failure they said "But EVERYONE finds Blue Lagoon - its easy!"

Sadly, though, it now seems to have gone missing so it looks like I'll never get to put this one right icon_frown.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Norfolk & Goode:

It's a virtual. The answer _might_ be zero, but the fact that it's a virtual means the cows probably aren't real ones.

We didn't find these "cows" either, but they are definitely NOT live cows!!!! We thought we had found this, but had to change out find to a not found....

quote:

quote:

Yours was the first log since October.

... and again we were the lst visitors there!

This cache is NOT an easy one: I had to decode the clue, and it *still* took some finding. To be honest, whilst I can still see the hiding place in front of me, I would NOT be able to describe it!!!!

Whilst it is POSSIBLE that it's gone, it was hidden in a nice "hidey hole" which should have protected it ok through the winter.....

quote:

I always think carefully before attempting caches that haven't been found for ages. It could be that several people have looked, not found but decided not to log. IMHO not logging at all is worse than logging a found when you didn't actually find. At least the text of your logs says "not found".

quote:

Your log says it all. This is a "Not Found"

You mention something in your log that was only referred to in the encrypted part of the cache page. Etiquette says you should encrypt the log.

Yes, true.... hey, we were the last ones to find that one too!!! I'm surprised they didn't find it: whilst well hidden from prying eyes, a good cacher should find it (with the help of the clue) reasonably easily, given about 15 mins to look!

quote:

There are a few unwritten rules of etiquette wrt logging.

1. Log failures as well as success. In a way logging failures is more important to the cache owner than a success. It might be saying something important viz, the cache is gone. You might think it's a dent in your ego, but after a while you'll come to think of the failure logs as being like scars. If you don't understand that, it's because you haven't seen Lethal Weapon 3.

If you feel "embarassed" about whether you were even in the right county, you can always email the owner first.

I did one last week (where 'did' = failed to find!), and it turns out that I was almost right in my guess, but actually 20 ft out... and prevented due to people in the area. icon_mad.gif

quote:

2. If your log gives away anything that is in the encrypted part of the page, encrypt your log.

3. Be honest

This is probably the most difficult one...even I have problems being honest at times. The problem is that, whilst the location may well be VERY nice, there is a limit to the number of hill-tops & woods that can make you go 'wow!'....

But if there is something that really IS wrong with the site (eg local meeting place for drunkards....) then the owner and other potential visitors should be told.

There is one cache we recently visited where maybe I should have logged "you rotten buggers, I was about to place a cache in almost the same location!" (in fact, I *did* email the owners, I hope they read the big smile I had though!!! Otherwise I'm in trouble!!!).

Now, feel free to be as honest as you like about the one we placed today: we purposely made it a bit of a challenge.... but I'll give you a BIG hint: "it's near a tree".......

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Sue & Bernie:

The wife & I tend to do caches the hard way. Usually we cycle to a cache, up to 25 miles each way is the longest trip so far.

When you look at East Anglia (excluding Thetford & Norwich), you see that doing one at a time is logical.

Sue & Bernie

I've been out twice now. Both times on my bicycle. First time was into a headwind, lashing down rain, Devon coast road (hilly!), and a 16 mile or so round trip for one cache (Sidmouth).

Last Sunday I went the other way, crossed the Devon/Dorset border for three cache's (Secret Chapel, Chapel Trouble and Eggardon Hill). This was even hillier (Dorset coast road round Chesil beach way), even further (42 miles!) but was thankfully dry.

I think there are about 8 more that I can do in individual cycle daytrips from home. There is also a nice circle of caches that I expect to be able to walk in a day on Dartmoor (about 10?) but I will need to drive there.

I think that I should be certified completely mad! I wonder how long it will be before I get in the car to get a cache?

--

Cheers,

Stuey icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Sadly, one of my not-founds was Rincewind and Luggages "Blue Lagoon". I searched for this ages ago without success, and posted a not found log. Since then I have kept meaning to go back and re-hunt it - particularly as when I met R&L at a cache-meet and mentioned my failure they said "But EVERYONE finds Blue Lagoon - its easy!"

Sadly, though, it now seems to have gone missing so it looks like I'll never get to put this one right icon_frown.gif

Don't feel too bad... we very nearly didn't find it either. I went with Phizy D and his then-girlfriend, but we couldn't get to it. At one point I was stood on an island of mud with the GPS still pointing out into the water. It was only due to Jo (called Bob in the log) that we found it at all, and she was searching sans GPS... d'oh!

Tis a shame really, as The Blue Lagoon was the cache I had in mind to visit on cache-in trash-out day. icon_rolleyes.gif I might visit it again anyway, see if I can dispose of a few beercans.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Well i started something here, just out of curiosity i thought i would add the milages traveled by people in cars, not those on foot or bike. bearing in mind that some havn't put down there milage we have an approx distance of 8125 miles. Now we only have a small section of the Geocaching comunity that have posted on this subject, but i think we can say that with the price of oil at the moment and the number of members of this glorious club of ours and even a roughestimate of the milages traveled we should recieve a thank you letter from Mr Saddam Hussein for providing his armys with most of there small arms and artillery. He ows us a great dept of grattitude

Strangers are only friends you have not met yet