What is going on here

Guest col

Please don't let a silly, witch hunt like the lovelock's get in the way of a sport we all must like it or we would not be here.

We personally did not see any harm in the lovelock caches and we have visited some of there caches four I think in total and yes we did pick up one of his software and tried it 4/10 for trying on that side.

As for the caches them self, easy yes but he did put a lot of work in the write up on them and they were in appealing places, and yes the number of caches was over the top.

But we are diverging from the point of this post, we see from this forum that good members of uk-goecaching are archiving there caches because of this, like Jason & Bumblebee. Please don?t as it maybe the start of the end to a sport that you both obviously like from the posting we have seen from you both.

Please, Please don?t let this be the start of a flame war that we have seen start up in other sites.

Well, we have had a say and just hope that all that read this see that the sport is bigger than any number of right or wrongs.

Guest Moss Trooper

Problem is this.. too many in too short a time and a total disregard for Geocaching and the forums.. thats the crux.

This is the last I am going to speak on the subject..

If he is reenstated .. so be it.. if not.. so be it.. Let us just start to enjoy the sport/hobby as it is intended.

Moss Trooper..

I strongly object to the archiving of the Lovelock caches, and request they be reinstated ASAP. I'm appalled at how arbitrary the process has been. A small number of people hiding behind pseudonyms have objected in private and on this limited-circulation forum and "voted" him out. It's about as democratic as Guy Fawkes & Co. "voting" to blow up parliament -- the real stakeholders were never consulted. Were the many people who logged the Lovelock caches ever consulted? No. Did the plotters ever go to a single Lovelock cache? No. Do most Geocachers hang out at these forums? No. Did anybody read Robin's defense at http://www.gpss.co.uk/geocuk.htm ? It doesn't look that way. And where's the wisdom of closing the threads to stifle debate on this rather important topic? It's insulting to the rest of us to presume there is nothing more to say on the matter.

All of this smacks of childish schoolyard bullying and petty backbiting. "If he's not punished then I'm taking my marbles and going home" is hardly exemplary dispute resolution.

Grow up and let the caches back. Expansion of the sport means that all sorts of newcomers will be caught in the net, and not all of them will be to the originator's ultrapure standards. People will be drawn in with all sorts of different motivations, and Robin's self promotion is just about the least offensive I've ever come across.

Stretch your mind a bit and imagine the real threats to the sport. Offensive political or religious motivations for planting caches. Dangerous objects in the caches. Lawsuits from stash hunters who are injured or killed by falls or bad weather. Major landowners who refuse to have stashes on their property. There are plenty of forces out there that can diminish or destroy the sport. Why the h*ll are we picking on someone who wants to build it up?

And why the sensitivity to Robin's business? Does his GPSS software compete with Groundspeak? Should the rest of us not be objecting to our personal data being used to sell "targetted" banner ads for Geocaching.com? (Robin was invited to buy just such (IMHO very offensive) ads.) Is this just a conflict of interest between rival businesses fighting over GPS consumers? I hope not.

Let him back on the pitch, bury the hatchet, shake hands, and let's get on with what we were doing before this catfight started.

Marc

ersonal details about me and my family, and circulated this info to others. A WARNING TO OTHERS, KEEP YOUR PSEUDONYMS. (and use a disposable e-mail address like Yahoo etc)

quote:
Were the many people who logged the Lovelock caches ever consulted? No.

I have done some of his caches.

quote:
Did the plotters ever go to a single Lovelock cache? No.

By "plotters" I take it you mean "objectors" in which case see my comment above.

quote:
Do most Geocachers hang out at these forums? No.

Did most people vote at the last General Election ? They were all given the opportunity. As have the Geocachers.

quote:
Did anybody read Robin's defense at http://www.gpss.co.uk/geocuk.htm ?

YES ! And he repeated it here in the forum. (keep up with the plot !)

quote:
And where's the wisdom of closing the threads to stifle debate on this rather important topic?

TO BRING IT TO AN END FOR CHRISSAKES

quote:
and Robin's self promotion is just about the least offensive I've ever come across.

Geocaching is not the first to suffer the Lovelock "experience". Take a look at the follwing thread from the "alt.config" newsgroup http ://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=erfaq-0805982245520001%40pm336-38.dialip.mich.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522robin%2Blovelock%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26. (Sorry, I tried to make the above go to the start of the thread but it wont, you will have to use the "Prev 10" link at the top of the page.)

In it you will see that it contains a proposal to set up a newsgroup specifically for Robin called "alt.robin-lovelock.annoying". Now I am sure that was proposed somewhat tongue-in-cheek but it continues to say :

"discussion away from sci.geo.satellite-nav.

Since the normally civil and technical discussions on GPS and satellite tracking are frequently interrupted by Robin Lovelock and the discussions about his practices, this proposed NG is an attempt to return the sci based ng already in place, to a technical, not personal discussion."

This proposal was made 1998/05/06 as a result of his continuous posting to the newsgroups about his software. Conduct a search of the newsgroups (using www.deja.com) for "robin lovelock" (as typed please) and you will find 820 entries most of which start "... outside the area of the maps already available for downloading, then you may request Robin Lovelock to put a map onto the site for you and others in your area ..."

Be afraid, Be very afraid

quote:
Stretch your mind a bit and imagine the real threats to the sport. Offensive political or religious motivations for planting caches. Dangerous objects in the caches. Lawsuits from stash hunters who are injured or killed by falls or bad weather.

Robin has placed cigarette lighters and matches in his caches, even those placed in ancient woodlands, some of which have been found by non-cachers, possibly kids. The law might be an *** but "Lawsuits from stash hunters" ? I don't think so.

quote:
And why the sensitivity to Robin's business? Does his GPSS software compete with Groundspeak? Should the rest of us not be objecting to our personal data being used to sell "targetted" banner ads for Geocaching.com? (Robin was invited to buy just such (IMHO very offensive) ads

Are you suggesting that Robin has been offered this by Groundspeak? If so, how do you know, Did Robin tell you? Also, if we are talking about "banner ads", these are shown on a website when the site is viewed and does not require any personal info being disclosed. And talk about disclosing "personal info", take a look at Robins site http://www.gpss.co.uk/gpsslink.htm where you will find a list of 2304 registered users of his software including Name, E-Mail address, Coordinates and Town. Now, when you've run out of caches to do, a new passtime "Geoknocking", after all, you have 2304 doors to knock on. :-)

quote:
Let him back on the pitch, bury the hatchet, shake hands, and let's get on with what we were doing before this catfight started.

As I said before, I am happy for Robin to play the game, provided he does play the game. If Robin can advertise, then so can I, and so can all other businesses and companies.

Now that's what I call dangerous to the sport.

Happy caching everybody,

Tim

[This message has been edited by timp (edited 08 November 2001).]

Boy! that url took some sorting out !

Guest davehinns

Actually with everything going on I've read the site from cover to cover this week (not my normal approach!). I've just discovered it says no alchohol & I thought I was being friendly putting all those minitures I got from a stewardess into caches. But I've checked the logs and the next visitors have taken them...apart from my last which has been archived.

Oh well, have to star using my imagination again....