Logging by taking a photo? Essential tremors.

Hi guys. I have a condition called essential tremors which makes my hands shake. Is it ok to log caches by taking a photo? Writing is quite difficult because my hands shake so much and manipulating the covers and sheets inside of micro containers is almost impossible. I can take a photo of the caches and have been logging it that way. Is this acceptable?

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, Insp Gadget said:

Hi guys. I have a condition called essential tremors which makes my hands shake. Is it ok to log caches by taking a photo? Writing is quite difficult because my hands shake so much and manipulating the covers and sheets inside of micro containers is almost impossible. I can take a photo of the caches and have been logging it that way. Is this acceptable?

Stamps are a great idea. If you are still unable to stamp it for some reason (and this reason isn't a part of what the cache is made to be), I'm sure most COs would allow you to take a picture showing you are actually there with the cache (not at a distance...) and message it to them (not posting the image b/c spoilers). On days that I forget a pen I do this and I've never had a problem, and any time another cacher does the same on one of my caches I don't mind either.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Insp Gadget said:

My father and brother have badly shaking hands. It does make it harder for them to write. If someone took a photograph of the log/cache and messaged that to me, with a brief reason, that you have difficulty writing; no need to go onto detail, I would except the log.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

My father and brother have badly shaking hands. It does make it harder for them to write. If someone took a photograph of the log/cache and messaged that to me, with a brief reason, that you have difficulty writing; no need to go onto detail, I would except the log.

I agree. I'm always happy that someone took the time to visit one of my geocaches. It would never bother me that a photo with a brief note why was used instead of a signiture. I've accepted other reasonable explanations from sincere geocachers. I'm easy.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1

If I were in the OP's situation I would put a note at the top of my profile page to explain my situation in a sentence or two, and offer to provide photo proof of finds upon request. Then I would take photo proof, but not automatically send it to the CO for every find.

If you enjoy geocaching with others then all the better reason to find a geo-friend with steady hands to cache with whenever possible, just in case.

Posted (edited)

I've used pictures as proof of finding many caches. My reasons are usually I don't have a pen, don't have a pen that works any more, lost my pen somewhere along the path, log is full (used that today), log is a stinky mushy mess can not sign, happened to find myself at a GZ not planning to cache that day and found the cache. I have never had a problem taking a picture.

I always attach the picture to my found log. Otherwise it becomes your responsibility to store the pictures and name them with the correct GC code in case later you need to produce them. The added benifit to the CO is they can see the recent signers of the log, which they can use to find armchair loggers if they wish.

The stamp idea is a good one though there will be times I'm sure you'll not have the stamp or the stamp ink is dried up. Then you can always fall back on the picture.

If you wish to be a trailblazer, contact Groundspeak and see if they have an official policy or working on one for signing disabilities. They are definitely sticklers for wheelchair accessible seen caches archived for failure to change the terrain rating. Though they may say get a stamp just make sure it is small enough for a nano log :) .

Edited by MNTA
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Then I would take photo proof, but not automatically send it to the CO for every find.

I would appreciate that the photo was sent to me, as it would save me the bother of contacting the person, when I was checking the log. Also I am getting more annoyed about non signed logs, and now might just delete the log if I didn't find a signature. I used to contact the person and give them a fortnight to reply; then a week and recently I just deleted a couple of logs without contacting. I can't remember those logs now, but likely just something like 'thanks' and nothing else. If someone didn't sign, but had more about their visit, they are more likely to get a 'please provide proof of visit'.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MNTA said:

The stamp idea is a good one

As long as the ink is waterproof. I hardly ever use my stamp,  but it does have waterproof ink. I've tested the ink and wetting it didn't affect it.

1 hour ago, MNTA said:

I don't have a pen, don't have a pen that works any more, lost my pen somewhere along the path,

I can only remember a very few occasions this happened to me. Twice I have forgotten a pen. Once I was able to sign with charcoal, but photographed that to add to the log, as charcoal can rub off. The other time I took a photograph and send that to the CO and asked can I log. I logged after I got permission.

I was wandering around Cairns for the day and my pen ran out of ink. No problem, I have a spare. Halfway through signing the next log that one ran out of ink too. What are the odds of that🤣? Anyway, rather than take photographs of future finds that day I was able to buy a pen. It's a touristy place, and souvenir pens were readily available to buy.

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would appreciate that the photo was sent to me, as it would save me the bother of contacting the person, when I was checking the log.

Yes, but the other 99 caches the OP finds will have COs who will be unwilling or unable to reconcile the paper and digital logs.

Attaching a photo of the physical log to the digital log is a fine alternative. I know of some able-bodied cachers who do this on all their finds for added veracity.

Posted (edited)

I have had times where I forgot a pen, my most recent one was earlier this year. I was using my mom's car, and didn't have my regular purse, and I was in the middle of a town that had like no stores lol. I ended up finding about 10 caches that day, and I took a picture of each of them, and sent them by message to each CO. After they responded, (or wait a few days), I logged all the caches. I don't suggest putting the picture in your log because that could be a spoiler picture, especially if you are taking pictures of the container itself (not just the log). It took a bit of time, but I'm glad I did that.

As a CO, I appreciate if finders send me a pic to verify, if they are unable to log it for whatever reason (wet, damaged, missing pen etc)

Edited by psychpineapple
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Yes, but the other 99 caches the OP finds will have COs who will be unwilling or unable to reconcile the paper and digital logs.

That's their short coming. I check my logs. It also means I maintain the cache.

6 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Attaching a photo of the physical log to the digital log is a fine alternative. I know of some able-bodied cachers who do this on all their finds for added veracity.

It depends what they send. It could be a spoiler, so not so keen on adding it to the log. Maybe just a picture of the log; but not the cache. Often the questions I have asked to prove a visit, is to please supply a good description of the hide and cache. It's likely better to message a photograph to the CO, as they can see you found it and have a record of this. Emailing doesn't save a copy the same as messaging does, and a year later when the email is lost and forgotten, when the CO checks the physical log, you might get another please give proof of find. If the proof was in a message, the older message with proof will be seen when the CO opens that.

I also (once) have been asked for proof of find, but wasn't offended, even though I had signed that log. It was a tatty mess, so easy to miss a signature. The CO was doing their job. I fortunately could still picture that cache and described where I had parked, what the ground surface was made of, where the cache was hidden, the cache and the log's tatty condition. I never heard back and my log stayed, so I must have satisfied the CO :laughing:.

Edited by Goldenwattle
20 hours ago, MNTA said:

log is a stinky mushy mess can not sign,

In a case like that, unless I have a replacement log with me, I log a NM, send a photo of the mush to the CO, and let the CO fix it (unless I know the CO well and that it would be received well).  This recently happened, I am currently traveling out of state, and I did NOT log a find on that cache.  Sometimes the CO will give me permission to log it, but I don't, just because that's me.  And if I do provide a replacement log, I will note that in my log and usually take a photo of the new log with my stamp or signature, being careful that the photo is not a spoiler.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 7/6/2024 at 6:49 AM, Insp Gadget said:

manipulating the covers and sheets inside of micro containers is almost impossible

I'm able bodied (for now) without any hand shaking, and some of the teeny tiny nano sized containers are almost impossible for me to open, or sign, or close. Like this one in Blackfoot Idaho, custom made by a metalworker nearby.
This geocache could use the 'heart surgeon skills and tools recommended' attribute.

nano.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 2
2 minutes ago, Sottiwotti said:

This really is a ridicilous geocache:laughing: Can't believe someone would enjoy this cache

I've found nano-caches about that size. Some have been made from pet ID tubes that are designed to hang from a pet's collar. Some have been custom made. Either way, they can be fun.

Another option for those who have trouble physically signing lots: carry some kind of inexpensive "calling card" that you leave in caches you find. It could be something akin to a "baseball card" with info about you (I've seen a lot of these over the years associated with the Going Caching mega in Georgia), your favorite cheap TCG card purchased in bulk, or some kind of chit or poker chip with a unique design. Anything that another cacher is unlikely to use.

Obviously, this only works in caches big enough to hold such items. Not effective with Micros and the all too commom size Micros-listed-as-Small. But if you prefer to seek larger caches it's a alternative to a stamp, and one not reliant on stamp ink or a stampable log.

2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Another option for those who have trouble physically signing lots: carry some kind of inexpensive "calling card" that you leave in caches you find. It could be something akin to a "baseball card" with info about you (I've seen a lot of these over the years associated with the Going Caching mega in Georgia), your favorite cheap TCG card purchased in bulk, or some kind of chit or poker chip with a unique design. Anything that another cacher is unlikely to use.

Personal signature items like that are trade items, not a substitute for signing. Some of us trade for and collect personal signature items left by other geocachers.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, niraD said:

Personal signature items like that are trade items, not a substitute for signing. Some of us trade for and collect personal signature items left by other geocachers.

Never heard of this. I will look at those cards differently from now on :o