Manx Geocachers

Cushag

quote:
Originally posted by Cushag:

Any manx geocachers out there?

Would prefer not to come under UK forums as they seem to be part of groups who wish to impose rules and regulations of what should be a fun sport.

Well... I don't consider that GAGB, or any other parties, are trying to "impose rules and regulations" on the sport. They have negotiated with a landowner, Hampshire County Council, guidelines for placing caches on their land. It would be stupid to go against these guidelines, and if playing to the GC.com guidelines, as we have to, you must first seek landowner permission. Therefore, what GAGB and HCC have done is made the whole process simpler for anybody wishing to use HCC land for a cache as they would not have to negotiate all of these terms for usage of HCC land time and time again.

Wouldn't it be great if other councils and landowners such as the National Trust, Forestry Commission, etc also had guidelines published on a site like GAGB so that we could all know where we stand with different landowners?

HCC's guidelines were not wildly different to those of GC.com anyway, but I suppose that some landowners would be wanting to impose further guidelines on their land... I would if I were in their position.

GAGB, it seems to me, have made things easier for us, not harder. There is no extra "rule" set by them, as HCC are responsible for their own guidelines. Thanks to all the GAGB members who negotiated with HCC on this one, I look forward to seeing more of them in the future.

If this game is going to grow within GC.com guidelines, somebody has to talk to the landowners... I feel it is better to do this once, through an organisation, rather than each of us do it individually... people like HCC would soon tire of us if bombarded with people asking for permission to place caches, that they would have to come and inspect. I'm sure now that if you quote the HCC/GAGB guidelines as followed in applying for permission to place a cache, you will get it approved as they will know that you have kept to their own rules.

I only see three caches on the Isle of Man (one whose country is set to Ireland!?) so maybe you wouldn't at this point be able to justify a forum of your own... but good luck with growing the sport there.

[This message was edited by NattyBooshka on September 14, 2003 at 11:38 PM.]

Dear NattyBooshka,

I understand your commemts and thanks for wishing us Manxies luck. I hope to be geocaching at Xmas in the UK, Hampshire!!!

Look out for my Lucky Black Manx Cat Brooches I will be using as swops.

Yes, one catch is located by mistake as Ireland. Not my mistake but at least you realised it should be the IOM.

We are a small Island. A Crown Colony, Not part of the UK or classed as Great Britian. We are geographically part of the British Isles. Not even a full member state of the EU.Our own Parlimant, low taxes and the most beautiful countryside.

Why not come over to find our geocaches? Ferry cost is only £200, Airfare roughly the same.

I have had a short spell of living in Hampshire, now oh so glad to be back on the Isle of Man.

Hello Cushag, and welcome as an independent Manxman.

I can only envy your position and can well understand your frustration at being 'lumped' in with the UK or Ireland or whatever. I have long tried to 'educate' friends, relations and work colleagues from across the pond about the differences between England, Great Britain, the United Kingdom and the British Isles.

I fully accept your plea that The Isle of Man be treated as a separate entity. After all if Gibralta and the Vatican City can have their own entries why not the Isle of Man?

I shall make a point of requesting, through the Admin channels, that you get added to the list. I'll keep you informed here of progress.

In the meantime I hope you will 'come in with us' and post your cache(s) as being in the UK.

------------------------------

Chill out - I'm doing my best!

quote:
Originally posted by Cushag:

Why not come over to find our geocaches? Ferry cost is only £200, Airfare roughly the same.

I have had a short spell of living in Hampshire, now oh so glad to be back on the Isle of Man.

I understand the status of the Isle of Man, and it is recognised as such by GC.com... but as you can probably see there are not 200+ forums, one for each country as some countries do not have enough caches/cachers to make it worthwhile.

I'll be visiting the Isle of Man one day, I've been before. Looks like it wouldn't be a caching-only trip though at the moment as I don't wish to pay over 50 pounds per cache! However if it takes off over there it may mean a trip to Heysham for us and a ferry ride.

Proud to support the GAGB

Thanks for all your support. Have not logged the Isle of Man caches although I have been to them. Went with Nibbo (friend from Hampshire) so gave him the credit for finding them.

Not quite so sunny today. Pouring with rain. Been Watching a Rugby match (Not on TV) with South Barrule as the view in the Background. My team won.

Happy geocaching