WINCHESTER HCC EVENT - HELPERS

For the HCC Run event, this is an indication of the help that will be needed.

Friday 18th - marquees, tents and shelters being erected. Hopefully these will be up by the time you start arriving at 5 pm. However, anyone feeling in need of a *work-out* can come along at any time on Friday.

Campers can pitch their tents any time after 5 pm.

Friday evening - BBQ (bring your own food) and team briefing.

Early Saturday - final preparations.

THE EVENT open to the public 10 - 4.30

Helpers required for:-

Supervising and showing the features of geocaching.com on the PC's (there will be 6 PC's).

If queues form, there will be a ticket system to be administered.

Taking members of the public into the woods to show them how to cache, including good caching practice. There will be 12 caches set for the day.

Someone to supervise the travel bug stand and explain a little about them and how they travel around.

There will be one or two other supervisory posts.

On the Friday evening/early Saturday we will allocate helpers in 2 hour slots.

Saturday evening BBQ etc. (Again bring your own food and drink)

We have the camping area until 12 noon on Sunday 20th.

We would be very grateful for as much help as possible.

Just to confirm final details, Nzbuu and I will be arriving early saturday morning and available as helpers where needed. We both have GPS units. We'll be staying for the evening BBQ and then slinking off back to Milton Keynes late in the evening.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by THE BRAMBLERS:

Taking members of the public into the woods to show them how to cache, including good caching practice. There will be 12 caches set for the day.

Looked at this thread after the one where O'Malley has been recruiting for his geomuggle multi-cache. I will volunteer for this task too, and be happy to be put to work in whichever role is most useful. Personally, I think I would rather help out with this task rather than the multi, but I offered my help there first.

I shall be available to assist in whatever way I can.

I will be arriving as early as possible on the Friday as I have some stuff that I am bringing up for Paul Blitz for the event.

Besides, I need to be there to annoy and pester that Omally bloke icon_biggrin.gif

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:

Friday 18th - marquees, tents and shelters being erected. However, anyone feeling in need of a *work-out* can come along at any time on Friday..

I'm game for this...

quote:

Helpers required for:-

Supervising and showing the features of geocaching.com on the PC's (there will be 6 PC's).

If queues form, there will be a ticket system to be administered.

Someone to supervise the travel bug stand and explain a little about them and how they travel around.

There will be one or two other supervisory posts.

And all of this...

quote:

We have the camping area until 12 noon on Sunday 20th.

Lovely jubbly. I just can't wait.

Think I'll go over there now. icon_cool.gif

"Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". [icon_smile.gif]

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

Mrs H and I are willing to help out a bit. We currently have a small number of travel bugs that we collected from an american couple at the weekend and we know that we are not going to have a chance to place them in caches other than our own before the HCC event. So we can bring them along to the event, so people can see a live travel bug. We could do a map showing where the bugs have been. Then maybe we can drop the bugs at the event and other caches take them on....

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

With a bit of luck myself and the terribletwos will be there and ready to help.

However, the day before is eldestdodgydaved's 21st birthday. I fear alcohol may be consumed in great quantities so.........

dodgydaved

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

Besides, I need to be there to annoy and pester that Omally bloke icon_biggrin.gif

Oi! Merman! Just you make sure you don't do the night cache on yer own... know what I mean, chief? icon_wink.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

I'll be there before 10am on Saturday morning and camping Saturday night. As I won't be around for the briefing on Friday night, can you please put me on the list for helping with a 2 hour slot in the woods as I imagine that is where you will need most people helping.

Thanks,

KeRa

The Sparticus trio have a long way to travel so we will only be arriving late on Friday.

We will be there before 10am Saturday so if you need someone to assist in the woods then we would like to help, and are willing and able to assist in any area required.

Our trip is planned, and the GPSr's ready for action.

icon_smile.gif

quote:
I will be arriving as early as possible on the Friday as I have some stuff that I am bringing up for Paul Blitz for the event.

Don't panic... I won't be there until 6:15pm at the earliest!

Which reminds me.....

The night multi-cache is all prepared, including a few "twists" (and breaches of the "guidelines!!) that can only really be done on a one-off cache like this! Omally and I will probably be seen giggling as people walk the route!

It's just under 4 km in total, it's *not* a race, but more the opportunity to have a pleasant social walk by torchlight with a few other fellow cachers.

The plan is that you will get into small groups (the size of which depends on how many people wish to do the cache), and the the groups will leave at about 10 minute intervals, starting as it gets dark (about 10pm I guess).

So make sure you bring your torches, and maybe a bottle of water (or something stronger) to drink on the way. The same footwear you wore during the day will be fine. And for safety, it would be good if each team had at least one mobile phone.

Oh, you'll beed a good sense of humour too!!!

There will be an ammo box at the final location, where you will be able to log your visit, and exchange trinkets.

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

The night multi-cache is all prepared, including a few "twists" (and breaches of the "guidelines!!) that can only really be done on a one-off cache like this! Omally and I will probably be seen giggling as people walk the route!

Paul

As a female who caches alone, thank you for this, as night caching is not something I would otherwise get to do, for personal safety reasons. This sounds like a lot of fun, and I suspect from the tone of Team Blitz's post that there will be people queueing up to throttle them and omally afterwards (all in the spirit of fun, of course!)

quote:
Originally posted by plaid-dragon:

.....I suspect from the tone of Team Blitz's post that there will be people queueing up to throttle them and omally afterwards (all in the spirit of fun, of course!)

I'm sure there will be a few smiles from those taking place too. I've tried to add some "fun" into finding the caches.

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

I hope its the Friday night... as I have to get up early Sunday morning so need to get to be early Saturday night. As this event clashes with the biggest military airshow Europe has seen in years....

BTW When are the jobs going to be sorted... who is doing what?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

[This message was edited by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog on July 11, 2003 at 01:11 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Kera:

Is the night cache on the Friday night or the Saturday night?

Whichever night:

1/ HCC Guidlines discourage it

2/ More specifically Hampshire Constabulary advise against walking around arley Mount at night... just called them (0845 045 45 45) they said they would strongly advise agains being in the area overnight... especially doing the night-cache (which I first had to explain to them!)

More details of happenings on Farley Mount have been posted by me in the WINCHESTER 2003 A WORLD FIRST thread

.. but the boys'n'girls in blue will advise anyone not to be in any secluded location at night, no matter where it is... That's just their stock answer. I'd guess there's gonna be 20+ folks camping there at least so personally I'm not too bothered by a solitary peeper. I think he'll probably be the scared one once he sees the state of some of them!... If I saw Lassitude in a dark wood and didn't know him, I'd probably soil my underwear!

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

At the risk of repeating myself (a trait after consumption of liquids according to my better half icon_wink.gif ) myself and no:1 daughter Amy (12yrs) will be available to assist in any way we can. Helping Geomuggles out with the caches sounds good. We are aiming to arrive Saturday morning around 10. We don't have a tent but can kip in the car (an MPV) as Amy seems keen on the idea icon_frown.gif .

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

I've finally decided I'm definitely not up to camping yet, so I'll be there sometime before ten on Saturday morning. And happy to do whatever's required.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

Quote from Team paradise (I wish I knew how to do the quote thingy!):

If I saw Lassitude in a dark wood and didn't know him, I'd probably soil my underwear!

I spend a week in Portugal- (Incidently there are some cracking caches there), return and catch up of the forum and what do I find?

Suggestions that my appearance in the woods after dark may cause loss of bowel control.

Well I do not know what to say! - Actually I do-Steve I am not sure how I would feel about you creeping up with a fag hanging out of your gob and an Otterbox in the other icon_wink.gif .

Anyway I will arrive on Saturday Morning with a tent and a hangover thanks to Reading's Real Ale and Jazz on Friday Evening. I suspect 11AM is realistic although I am not sure icon_wink.gif . I will be more than happy to help.

Are we going to have enough space for all these Geocachers?

Thanks

Chris (and Nicky)

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lassitude:

Quote from Team paradise (I wish I knew how to do the quote thingy!):

In the bottom, right hand corner of every posting there's an icon of a folder with quotation marks. Just click on that.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

quote:

If I saw Lassitude in a dark wood and didn't know him, I'd probably soil my underwear!

Suggestions that my appearance in the woods after dark may cause loss of bowel control.

Well I do not know what to say!

icon_biggrin.gif Sorry Chris... Just couldn't resist !

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

Just wondering, as we are camping out Fri & Sat nights, is there access to mains for the campers or anywhere that we can keep our food cool. If it's going to be hot again, then I dont want to spend Sunday being ill! We do have a camping fridge but also don't want to run the car battery down!

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

Sorry but there is no mains electricity at the BBQ site or camping area.

However, there is a Sainsbury's superstore about 5 minutes drive away, so it might we worth a trip there to ensure that your food is fresh.

The weather forecast at the moment is looking good. A little cooler (around 24C) with sunny intervals. Let's hope it's right! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by THE BRAMBLERS:

Sorry but there is no mains electricity at the BBQ site or camping area.

However, there is a Sainsbury's superstore about 5 minutes drive away, so it might we worth a trip there to ensure that your food is fresh.

Ah, that sounds like a good idea. We were wondering how to keep the BBQ stuff cold the other day.

Sarah (hoping that I've done the quote thing right, Thanks Pharisee)

quote:
Ah, that sounds like a good idea. We were wondering how to keep the BBQ stuff cold the other day.

I don't know how well this will work, but I am putting the food frozen into an insulated bag with an ice pack, and then placing the whole into a cooler box with more icepacks. I reckon that by Saturday evening it will be thawed but still safe. The other thing is that many food poisoning type things can be avoided as long as the meat is thoroughly cooked. I tend to avoid chicken breasts and thick things when barbecuing as it is difficult to ensure they are cooked through.

In case anyone is still counting:- we are aiming to arrive by 10:00 on Saturday, willing to help out wherever necessary. We probably won't be staying for the BBQ though. If the night cache is Saturday then I'd love to have a go at it.

BTW I hope there's some parking provision being made - the last time I was at Farley Mount I swear the carpark was absolutely tiny...

I'll get me coat

quote:
Originally posted by MaryE:

BTW I hope there's some parking provision being made - the last time I was at Farley Mount I swear the carpark was absolutely tiny...

I'll get me coat

I believe a very nearby field is being used for parking. I suppose some helpers will be able to park in the "tiny" carpark nearer the site, but I'm sure Mr Brambler will be along to confirm soon. icon_wink.gif

Omally

The local farmer has given us the use of one of her fields for public car parking and for helpers who are not camping over. It's only a couple of hundred yards from the event site.

The small car park at the event site itself will be reserved for disabled parking.

Those helping out and camping will park their cars next to their tents in the camping field.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog:

Can someone please clarify what is happening with all these offers of help? I've offered on three separate occasions and come up with ideas but I've had no contact from anyone about it, not even an acknowledgement.

Please read the posting at the top of this thread.

In particular :

"On the Friday evening/early Saturday we will allocate helpers in 2 hour slots."

Forgive us for not answering every question but we are extremely busy at the moment. icon_eek.gif

Don't forget to bring your caching photo's (Max 8" X 10" including mounts), there is now a prize of some bubbly stuff and six lead crystal glasses.

We also have some special bears and some "vino collapso" for a "Bear Wish Hunt" after the "Geomuggles" have all gone home.

Looking forward to seeing everybody there. Do come and say hello, you are bound to pass us at some stage.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

A few clarifications here:

1- If we can camp over our we near our cars (As I have loaned a lot of my gas powered camping equipment to my sister in law and only have 12v stuff. No worries if we cannot just need to know.

2- How many are camping over? Is the campsite oversubscribed?

3- Is there a timetable of events anywhere?

4- What facilities are there? Loos and or showers etc....

5- Are all of the caches within walking distance of the site?

6- Are there restrictions on the site such as 'no naked flames?', No water pistols etc icon_wink.gif ??

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I like to be prepared. If there is a site which has all these answers then just give me the URL and I will be happy to stop pestering...

On another note I have completed 'Hidden Treasure III' Geocaching photo screensaver and will be bringing about 20 CDs with me. First come first served.

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

1- If we can camp over our we near our cars

Yes you will be able to park your car by your tents.

Most of your other questions have already been answered in various threads. So hopefully you will be able to find the answers. However, we are now so pressed for time we just cannot answer any more questions. Sorry. icon_rolleyes.gif

You didn't put your name down for a camping pass. Do you want one?

All other questions anyone might have will be answered at the assistants' briefings prior to the event.

quote:
Originally posted by Kera:

How is the competition on the day to win GPS equipment, that is described elsewhere going to work?

Are the helpers running this or exhibitors at the event, etc.? Is it a raffle, or are they in the caches?

That would be the GeoMuggles Multicache I got roped into organising then icon_wink.gif

It'll be a sort of raffle: the GMs have to find the final cache, in which will be a stack of entry forms. All these forms will be put in the hat and the first three drawn at the end of the day will win a GPSr each.

The idea behind this is that it's a bit more of a challenge than the regular dozen caches set out for the day, and each GM will need to find a pair of experienced cachers to help them out (after all, we already have GPSr's!) and hopefully the GMs will learn good, responsible caching practice from us lot whilst having fun!

Don't worry, I've not made it typically evil (much as I wanted to): it'll be a stroll in the woods to us... icon_wink.gif

Omally