If You Need To Buy An Ammo Box

Hi All,

I've just been to a shop in Portsmouth to buy an ammo box.

He's got three different sizes and over two hundred of them :-)

So if you can get there

Andy's Ex-Government Surplus

46-48, Kingston Rd

Portsmouth Hampshire

PO1 5RZ

Tel: 023 9275 3108

Map

Yours Roy

Yours Roy

quote:
Originally posted by GingerNut:

Hi All,

He's got three different sizes and over two hundred of them :-)

So if you can get there

Andy's Ex-Government Surplus

46-48, Kingston Rd

Portsmouth Hampshire

PO1 5RZ

Tel: 023 9275 3108

Yours Roy

How much is he charging?

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

Thanks for the plug Rich. icon_smile.gif It so happens I've still got around 15 left (the others I'll use myself). If anyone wants them they are still going for the original £2 each.

How on earth anyone can justify £12.50 is beyond me icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

If anyone wants them I'd be happy to bring them to the April cache bash. Either that or e-mail me.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Those Portsmouth shop prices are way over the odds.

Most Army Surplus stores (proper ones) will sell them at around £4, £5 and £7 for varying sizes.

Sorry to wee on your fireworks, but that's not a good offer - you've been had icon_frown.gif

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:

Hi All,

There is an army-surplus place in Southampton, by the Bargate, in the road called "Bargate" - which is around the corner from the pedestrian precinct.

Their stocks seem lower, but I paid £3.50, I think, for one of the "slimline" ammo boxes (ie size down from "Hornet size").

The ones I have seen there have all been A1 condition

paul

Team Blitz

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

Or is it worthwhile trying to source bulk supplies again?

I gather that the H83 model (the one which Hornet got hold of) hasn't been manufactured for years and that the American M2-type (almost identical dimensions) is likely to be found in better condition (i.e. almost new).

Basically, there's the 0.30 calibre type (such as Paul Blitz described above) and the 0.50 calibre type (which are the wider ones like Hornet's H83).

I was just wondering if there'd be any interest in getting a supply and maybe even preparing them for geocaching use (e.g. camo-painting them or, at least, obliterating any text and affixing official stickers, etc.).

Thoughts?

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

[This message was edited by washboy on March 06, 2003 at 01:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by washboy on March 06, 2003 at 01:18 PM.]

I recently bought 9 boxes from Springfields Army Store by mail order (http://www.springfields.biz/index.asp). They are a bit narrow but at only £1.99 each they seem to have been a bit of a bargain. I had to be a bit canny about the quantity though as delivery leapt from £7.50 to £15 if I increased my order to 10 off but would still have been £7.50 if I'd only ordered one. The web site was a big clumsy to find this out and the delivery was a bit slow but hey - a bargain is a bargain. They're in reasonable condition but with a bit of spray paint and a touch of WD40 they're like new!!! I would like to obtain some slightly larger ones as detailed above but the price would have to be pretty competitive. Lizzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

quote:

Hi All,

There is an army-surplus place in Southampton, by the Bargate, in the road called "Bargate" - which is around the corner from the pedestrian precinct.

Their stocks seem lower, but I paid £3.50, I think, for one of the "slimline" ammo boxes (ie size down from "Hornet size").

The ones I have seen there have all been A1 condition

paul

Team Blitz

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

I believe the shop by the bargate is called Frontline supplies or something similar. Its always best to ring first and check if he has any, as supply tends to be variable.

Best wishes

Mark

quote:
I believe the shop by the bargate is called Frontline supplies or something similar. Its always best to ring first and check if he has any, as supply tends to be variable.

Best wishes

Mark

This is where I get all of ours from, good advise to call before you go, they either have 2 of each size or none (don’t ask me why) but they are always in good condition.

They also have a shop in Bournemouth.

DJH

quote:
Originally posted by djh:

quote:

Best wishes

Mark

This is where I get all of ours from, good advise to call before you go, they either have 2 of each size or none (don’t ask me why) but they are always in good condition.

They also have a shop in Bournemouth.

DJH

Now found the details

Frontline Surplus Stores

12, Bargate St

Southampton Hampshire

SO14 2DA

Tel: 023 8023 1321

Just to clear something up about the prices at Andy's Ex-Government Surplus in Portsmouth. We went there yesterday and got two boxes 11 inches X 7 inches X 5.5 inches for £5 each. They are in what I would call fair condition i.e. a little surface rust. There was also a fair pile that we saw, perhaps twenty plus.

You can get larger ones here for a fiver each, or from here (same price).

Can't seem to find any cheaper ones, but hey, I'm nearly aspleep anyway icon_razz.gif

(oops! just realised that looks like an advert: not connected to the above mentioned comanies blahdeblah... I can get the odd box for free if I ask my bruv nicely enough!)

I'd say Hornet needs to get back in his workshop and make some more... icon_biggrin.gif

Neutiquam erro.

[This message was edited by Omally on March 18, 2003 at 03:47 PM.]