UK Tupperware parties

Yes, I heard that as well. You could always use ammo boxes (psst! wanna buy a slightly used ammo box? only 30 to go icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif )

It seems that it's only the parties that are stopping so if you still need the social life perhaps you should try one of the other 'party products' How about an Anne Summers box icon_wink.gif I wonder what goodies that might hold!!

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

Yes, I heard that as well. You could always use ammo boxes (psst! wanna buy a slightly used ammo box? only 30 to go icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif )

You know, I just knew you would be the first to reply. When I heard the news on the radio I could see the old cash register signs ringing up in your eyes (just like an old Hanna Barbara cartoon).

Tell me though, with your "entrepreurial" spirit I am surprised you haven't struck a deal on wire wool, hammerite paint and paintbrushes.....

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

The picture on this travel bug page shows a plastic box I used for a cache. The lid is locked down with the hinged tabs and it has a rubber gasket around the lid joint. It's only been in place for a couple of (very wet) months but when I last checked it a few days ago the contents were safe and dry. Not the cheapest box I've ever bought, I think it cost about a fiver. I bought it from Lakeland Plastics in Cambridge (am I allowed to name places like that?) and there were quite a few shapes and sizes to choose from.

Worth a though, maybe, for the more affluent among us icon_smile.gif

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

Gah! What were you doing in my fair city, Pharisee?

It's called Lakeland Limited, by the way, and they are a chain of kitchenware shops. Not sure if they are national (as opposed to regional), but they exist elsewhere,as do, i suspect, these boxes.

Ammo cans - waterproof, rugged and camoflagued. What more can I say?

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:
Originally posted by Huga:

Gah! What were you doing in my fair city, Pharisee?

Christmas shopping with Mrs Pharisee

quote:

It's called Lakeland Limited, by the way....

Well I was close icon_smile.gif

And in answer to Page 28's question.. I seem to remember the one I bought being about a fiver (give or take a bit) but I honestly can't remember the exact amount. They were quite expensive but of of a much higher quality than the boxes I'd seen for sale elsewhere.

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

Well... almost, anyway

Compared with some, my number of finds is quite modest but even so, I've been surprised just how many of the caches I've found have been wet or waterlogged. There were two or three caches where the box and/or the lid were actually broken. In all of these cases this had been reported in the logs of previous finders but nothing had been done by the cache owner. In one case, I took along a new box specifically to replace the broken one. (and got an immediate e-mail of thanks, from America)

In a lot of other 'wet' cases, the boxes used had 'snap-on' lids that while being good enough to keep rice dry in a cupboard, they just weren't up to the job of keeping out the heavy, continuous rain that we seem to be getting these days. They simply were not designed to be water-proof. That's why I was pleased to find the box mentioned in my previous posts. It was.

Some caches were just damp inside and that's bad enough but in a few cases, I've literally emptied the water out. Like most, I carry a few spare 'zip-lok' bags with me and I try to make the cache presentable again but you can only do so much and it's only a short term fix. It must be disappointing for kids, exicited by finding the cache to open it up and find rusty key-rings, crayons in boxes that have fallen apart, soggy packets of playing card etc. We all know just how wet it gets here so perhaps just a little more though in the choice of boxes wouldn't go amiss.

Of course... now there are a couple of hundred new ammo boxes in circulation....

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

I agree with Pharisee.

The number of cheapo plastic tubs that get used for cache boxes is astounding. Proper Tuppaware/Tupperware (??) plastic is slightly flexible, and can takes knocks, bags and repeated frezzing/heating/drying/wetting that nature can throw at it. Tesco Value boxes are made of a much more rigid, brittle plastic that will break very easily with just a few uses, especially in the conditions the outdoors can bring.

That's why Tupp*ware costs so much more than Tesco Value boxes.

Please please please can people think about cache boxes when placing caches? Ammo boxes are great. They have a rubber seal, the lid locks down tightly, they are strong, waterproof and will live up to the challenegs of the great outdoors. A lot of plastic containers will too, but they've gotta be good quality. As Pharisee says, Tesco Value tubs might keep rice in the cupboard, but outside....

So check your container when you buy it. Twist, shake, bang it with the lid closed, and see if it leaks (fill it with water and then twist the box - I'll bet a lot of boxes develop a leak around the rim).

Just my 2p early-morning rant icon_smile.gif

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

There were two or three caches where the box and/or the lid were actually broken. In all of these cases this had been reported in the logs of previous finders but nothing had been done by the cache owner.

This does seem to be a real problem. I recon we will find quite a few broken boxes once winter is over. Personally I always carry one or two spare boxes in my rucksack along with ziplocks and various cache goodies. If I find a broken box I replace it straight away and inform the owner on the log.

This is the product of having 2 boxes disintigrate in my hands and also of finding a broken cache then discovering the planter was based in the USA so it would be a long time before it got repaired.

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by Huga:

That's why Tupp*ware costs so much more than Tesco Value boxes.

True, but having now lost four boxes as follows.

1 was lost when the site was tidied up.

1 was lost when another geocacher took it away with the Travel bug (I'd put the TB in a bigger box, and then put the original cache in the new box as the original box was too small to house the TB and all the other bits and pieces).

1 was buldozed under a new pathway and finally,

1 was trashed within 2 days of placing it, and before anyone found it!

Strangely enough, in the final case, I remade the hiding place with no cache in it and kept going back to the place. The remade hiding place is still intact, so maybe not the local Yobs curiousity over a 'new' feature?

I've hidden another cheap box, with just a few cheap trinkets, and edited the cache page. I wonder if this one will survive? If it does, I'll put a better box and more goodies in. Otherwise, sorry, but I don't think I can justify paying out more.

Oh, and you can get Ammo Boxes from Anchor Supplies in Ripley or Nottingham. icon_razz.gif

--... ...--

Morseman