Watching a cache

Nia

All the caches I have looked at today have at least one person watching. Are there any caches with NO-ONE watching? or is the owner considered an automatic watcher?

Also it has been said before, but i'd love to know who is watching my caches (Mark anything Geouk could do about this?)

Lastly How many caches are you watching? I'm not watching any atm.

Tech-no notice

The only reason i watch caches is to see when ours get visited as i am not classed as an owner!

icon_frown.gif

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

The owner is an automatic watcher so no caches can have zero watchers.

Take a look at eg GC98A4. At the time of writing, this has nobody watching it. Whilst the owner gets emailed about visits, I don't think they're included in the 'n account(s) watching this cache'.

Nothing GCUK can do to find out who's watching, I'm afraid. All we can do is grab information which is already available on geocaching.com and present it in a 'value added' format. Pity as I'd love to know everyone's home coordinates so I could come up with an estimate of the total miles travelled geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

Pity as I'd love to know everyone's home coordinates so I could come up with an estimate of the total miles travelled geocaching.

I don't think that would do much good as there is no way of knowing the mileage travelled on a day when someone does more than one cache. Taking "crow flies" distances from home base to each cache and adding them together would not be an accurate representation of miles travelled.

Neither would it take into account caches done when on holiday and staying away from home base.

All I know is that over the past few years I have pretty consistantly clocked up 10k miles per year. In the year after starting geocaching I did 16.5k. Speaks for itself. icon_smile.gif

quote:

You mean you don't use a helicopter? How quaint!

If I had one, I would !!

There are a few on my "nearest" list now that I would need a helicopter for. With the best will in the world, I can't see me ever getting to the top of any of the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, without one.

I'm confused...most of the caches I've seen don't have any watchers, there's certainly only one of mine that has someone watching it.

As for me, I'm watching six and I'm more than happy to share which ones...

Hedgeley Moor (Northumberland)

-the site of the dangerous wasp incident

INTERNATIONAL GEOCACHE

-hope to visit it on holiday next year

Keepsake

-couldn't find it

Linhope Spout (Northumberland)

-couldn't find it

MT's Northeastern Geopuzzle (Northumberland)

-did the first stage of this multi-cache and planned to return sometime and finish it, but looking at a recent log it seems to have gone awol

Penshaw Folly! (Tyne & Wear)

-temporarily archived

Scrabbling About (Northumberland)

-couldn't get past the first clue, but figured I needed some lateral thinking, so plan to go back

Water of Tyne (Tyne & Wear)

-temporarily archived

quote:

Pity as I'd love to know everyone's home coordinates so I could come up with an estimate of the total miles travelled geocaching.

I agree with Slytherin, the figures are bound to be somewhat inaccurate because of the reasons he mentioned.

However, I have for some time been intending to get some sort of estimate of the miles we have travelled during our cache hunts. This topic just prompted me to do so.

The results are somewhat spooky. I used Mapsource to plot the distances travelled to each cache so that distances are straight line from home, to each cache that day and then home again. Where we have had an overnight stay, this has been accounted for. There are some caches missing from Geocacheuk.com, and I have added those. Yesterday we did a cache and I checked the actual mileage travelled against the Mapsource mileage. It would appear that Mapsource gives a value of 77% of the actual miles travelled.

Right, The total miles travelled according to mapsource was 9,837 miles. If we take the 77% into account it works out at 12,775 miles against your 12,451 miles.

Now I know that your calculations are the best that can be done given the constrictions of the system, but it is strange that it should work out so close.

Incidentally, we drive a Citroen Xantia (diesel turbo) which no matter how I abuse it, still does 50 miles per gallon. That means we have used 255 gallons of diesel during our caching trips. Just over £900 !

One thought has occurred to me, Some caches have a waypoint of N0.00.000 W0.00.000 because they are part of a multi or whatever, Does your calculation ignore those ?

Thanks again Teasel.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Incidentally, we drive a Citroen Xantia (diesel turbo) which no matter how I abuse it, still does 50 miles per gallon. That means we have used 255 gallons of diesel during our caching trips. Just over £900 !

I don't think I want to know this. I drive a Land Rover Discovery that does 14 to the gallon!

Please don't calculate the miles for anyone. The wife might stop me geocaching icon_eek.gif

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

Wow, those figures are spookily close! Which suggests there's a bug in my program. icon_frown.gif The program effectively assumes you have no home and move nomadically from one cache to the next in a perfectly straight line. That's dedication to the sport! icon_biggrin.gif But it does mean that the figure quoted should be very much a lower bound. I'll go and figure out what's going wrong... icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

One thought has occurred to me, Some caches have a waypoint of N0.00.000 W0.00.000 because they are part of a multi or whatever, Does your calculation ignore those ?

Yes, though the cache in Hampshire which is due South of the Isle of Wight is included icon_rolleyes.gif The same cannot be said of the geocaching.com travel bug page! icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Teasel on November 25, 2002 at 07:00 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

........I drive a Land Rover Discovery that does 14 to the gallon!.....

So you've got a V8? Not many of those on the road in UK. I've had two, but then where I was the petrol was pretty cheap.

Great vehicles (except the first one which threw a rod icon_eek.gif)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ahh, I used to own a Series 3 Landy which had a Range rover 3.5L V8 in it - wonderfully fun beast to drive!

It had several fuel saving devices as I remember: free-wheeling front hubs; Kenco electric fan, etc.

12MPG... on a run... with the wind behind you!!

We didn't stay together long.

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once