Most Memorable Geocaching Souvenir

My most memorable souvenirs have been for places that I have visited also.  Some extremities come to mind right now: Farthest from home Kenya, 2003;  Southernmost, Argentina, 2017;  Lowest, Dead Sea in Israel, 2018; Northernmost, Iceland, 2018 (where I also met the most prolific cacher).  I just love to go and only do it when I get the chance.

Mine would be the New Zealand country souvenir. I'd only been caching for about eighteen months when I flew to Dunedin to be best man at a friend's wedding. The ceremony, held at Larnach Castle, was in the afternoon so I took the groom (a muggle) out caching in the morning and made a find (my first in NZ) at GC1XNGC, which was hidden in the ruins of the old Maids' Quarters building on the castle grounds. The scenery there was like something out of a fairy tale.

20140927_132730.jpg.90223c05bf75d8d673c7b37c855c5c5f.jpg

Later in that trip I was able to do the tour of the Hobbiton movie set and have an ale hobbit-style (barefoot) in the Green Dragon, but there were no caches there unfortunately.

• Upvote 2

I agree with location based state/country being high on my list.

Though my Project A.P.E. souvenir  has the best memories for me. Awesome hike through the tunnel with my late father and my daughter. One of my epic cache experiences.

image.png.02d8ee77c88828b2e277846061932d3d.png

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, MNTA said:

I agree with location based state/country being high on my list.

Though my Project A.P.E. souvenir  has the best memories for me. Awesome hike through the tunnel with my late father and my daughter. One of my epic cache experiences.

image.png.02d8ee77c88828b2e277846061932d3d.png

I was at the GCHQ Block Party in 2015 and found the APE cache... replacement.  Glad to hear that the cache was found and restored, bummed I didn't get to find the actual APE cache.

That tunnel was a blast to walk through.  Glad you got to share that experience with your late father and your daughter.

Congrats on that souvenir!

13 hours ago, DARKSIDEDAN said:

What has been your "Most Memorable Geocaching Souvenir" that you have Earned while Geocaching?

For me, I'd have to say it was the Massachusetts State Souvenir, mainly because of the trip. I spent two-and-a-half weeks in Cambridge on a business trip. On the weekends, I did some geocaching, including taking a train to a nearby WWFM IX and spending an afternoon exploring the public art on the MIT campus for an epic multi-stage puzzle cache.

647ea66c-8058-4bd5-8531-9f7450504a47.png

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I was at the GCHQ Block Party in 2015 and found the APE cache... replacement.  Glad to hear that the cache was found and restored, bummed I didn't get to find the actual APE cache.

That tunnel was a blast to walk through.  Glad you got to share that experience with your late father and your daughter.

Congrats on that souvenir!

I found the APE cache in Maryland in 2005.  My most memorable souvenir was Newfoundland and Labrador.

• Upvote 1

Over the last 10 months I've had two geocaching days where I earned a souvenir, and both were long days involving 20+km of walking and socializing with other cachers or muggle friends.....those are my #2 and #3 spots for most memorable souvenirs.

I must say my most memorable souvenir to earn was for the state of California. Me and some family were in the Southwest US for a few days, and on our last full day there, we went to the Dumont Dunes, just north of the Kelso Dunes and went for a walk, partly for location scouting for a project. We went up some of the dunes and experienced quite an incredible moment with the sun setting behind some of the dunes, and the sensation of thousands and thousands of sand grains crashing unto another when we descended the dunes to get home, which was referenced in an earthcache (Singing Sand Dunes) which I figured while in the area.

This was the only day we went to California, and was well worth it.

7 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Hmm, let's see...

31 Days of Geocaching 27 of 31

:mmraspberry:

I don't remember any of the individual Souvenirs from that month, but I do remember the month as a whole. It was the first time I deliberately tried to maintain a streak, and it started my one-year streak.

• Upvote 1
On 6/13/2024 at 3:45 AM, barefootjeff said:

Mine would be the New Zealand country souvenir. I'd only been caching for about eighteen months when I flew to Dunedin to be best man at a friend's wedding. The ceremony, held at Larnach Castle, was in the afternoon so I took the groom (a muggle) out caching in the morning and made a find (my first in NZ) at GC1XNGC, which was hidden in the ruins of the old Maids' Quarters building on the castle grounds. The scenery there was like something out of a fairy tale.

20140927_132730.jpg.90223c05bf75d8d673c7b37c855c5c5f.jpg

Later in that trip I was able to do the tour of the Hobbiton movie set and have an ale hobbit-style (barefoot) in the Green Dragon, but there were no caches there unfortunately.

It looks remarkably similar to the Highland Boundary Fault Line through Loch Lomond in Scotland!

Loch Lomond FL.JPG