Noob Questions

Ok here goes, I've just discovered this website and am very interested in trying geocaching out. The problem I have is the price of the GPS units here in the UK.

I have read a lot of posts and the concensus is either a Garmin or Magellan unit, without getting into a my GPS unit is better than yours argument can someone help by pointing out the pros and cons for the different makes?

Although I'm leaning towards the Magellan SporTrak Map or Magellan Meridian as I have found asite where I can get these units for $159 & $166 respectively. These seem to be reasonable prices unless someone can tell me where to buy them cheaper or find an alternative similar specced unit for a similar price.

Thanx in advance

Turkey Trotter

Ask around friends and family - you might be surprised how many people have GPS units and don't use them... you might be able to buy there's off of them.

Alternatively, try Ebay.

I know not everyone likes using second hand wares, but for simply trying the game out, it might be worth doing that instead of spending more and discovering it's not for you.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Thanx Kouros, unfortunately Geocaching is not something that would interest my family so that's not really an option. I have had a look on e-bay and unfortunately the majority of units are Garmin Geko units, I'm looking for something a bit higher specced as I also inted to use it for getting to and from wreck dive sites both here & abroard but don't want to spend a lot of money as this will eat into my diving funds. What I'm really looking for is some feedback for meople who have used these units and I can then decide which one I will buy.

I havn't used any of the Megelan units but I here they come highly recommended by old codgers icon_wink.gif

Just a reminder that whatever unit you buy you will need to allow something in your budget for rechargeable batteries and a cable to connect it to you PC (the first is essential - the second you won't regret buying(unless you don't have a PC)).

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Ok so having read more information on the 2 Magellan products (SporTrak Map & Meridian I can't really afford a SporTrak Pro, not at UK prices anyway)

Which of the 2 are being used in the UK?

Which is the most reliable, accurate, ergonomic?

Or should I just go with the Meridian for the SD-card functionality?

Will any standard Sd-Card work in the Meridian..

quote:
Originally posted by Turkey Trotter:

Ok here goes, I've just discovered this website and am very interested in trying geocaching out. The problem I have is the price of the GPS units here in the UK.

Several comments here:

1) I have an eTrex yellow, and it is fine as an "entry level" GPS: for the price, its actually very hard to fault the "yellow". I am also borrowing an eTrex Vista, and it's even better (but about 3 times the price)!

2) When I was in York recently, I popped into one of those "outdoor shops".... and not only did they SELL GPSr's (at an inflated price of course!), they also RENTED them.... which is a good way to try them out.

3) Where are you?... a local geocacher would probably be very willing to pop around and "show you their equipment" :-)

4) Come along to one of the events.... there will be plenty of different GPSr's at any event!

Paul

Thanx John for the link but that was sort of the maximum type of price I was willing to pay for GPS, Cable, cycle mount, and maybe SD-Card (if required).

Paul, I'm in the West Midlands 0.2mi from Shire Oak Cache. Where do I find out about local events?

Cheers,

Glenn...

I'm not here really, or am I, If I am I dont't want to be.