Autoroute

GPSBabel will convert/export/import waypoint information from all 3, but you won't be able to convert the map data.

I've searched extensively, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it.

Hope this helps...

One day my sigline will stop changing.

Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". icon_smile.gif

Garmin are very protective over the format for Mapsource maps, as obviously they have a good revenue stream selling Mapsource products to load onto their GPS's.

As far as I am aware there is only one third party who has been allowed to produce maps in Mapsource format, a Garmin Norwegian distributor who are producing Norwegian topographic maps. (If you can read Norwegian, take a look here. icon_biggrin.gif )

Interestingly, the last time I e-mailed Garmin over availability of Topo for Canada and/or UK, where I got the usual 'ongoing negotiation with the OS' reply. However the person who replied highlighted Norway as a situation where they were open to third parties doing compatible maps as it was a situation where they considered it not economically viable to produce the maps themselves.

Richard

Are topographic maps really of any use with the sort of GPS receivers that most of us use, ie Garmin & Magellan hand held thingies. I have enough trouble deciding what are roads, rivers, canals etc on the little screen on my Legend as it is. If it was cluttered up even more with contour lines it'd be very nearly un-useable.

Having said that, I've never seen a topo map on one so I s'pect I'm wrong, as usual icon_razz.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

I have enough trouble deciding what are roads, rivers, canals etc on the little screen on my Legend as it is. If it was cluttered up even more with contour lines it'd be very nearly un-useable.

Without wanting to hi-jack the topic icon_smile.gif - Pharisee: Would you judge it to be worth upgrading from the yellow etrex to the Legend for the map function, given that you say it is very cluttered?

quote:
Are topographic maps really of any use with the sort of GPS receivers that most of us use, ie Garmin & Magellan hand held thingies. I have enough trouble deciding what are roads, rivers, canals etc on the little screen on my Legend as it is. If it was cluttered up even more with contour lines it'd be very nearly un-useable.

The Only examples of the screen with the Topo maps on I could find are here

It doesn't look too cluttered to me, I'd love a UK version.

I just hope it's more accurate than the basemap on my Vista, I walked across the River Severn last week & I couldn't even see it! icon_biggrin.gif

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

The Bennett Family Webspace

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

I just hope it's more accurate than the basemap on my Vista, I walked across the River Severn last week & I couldn't even see it! icon_biggrin.gif

The basemap on the vista is dire, however you will find that Europe Roads and Rec includes waterways and rivers, and should have the river in about the right place.

p-d, we have both a yellow e-trex, and a vista. I don't have too much of a problem with clutter on the vista, which I believe is the same display as a legend, however in light of the above comment, I would factor in the cost of getting Mapsource Roads and Rec for the maps to be anything like useful. Having said that I still tend to use the compass page a lot more than the maps when searching for a cache on foot, the maps are only really useful for road navigation.

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by plaid-dragon:

Without wanting to hi-jack the topic icon_smile.gif - Pharisee: Would you judge it to be worth upgrading from the yellow etrex to the Legend for the map function, given that you say it is very cluttered?

I think the Legend is the ‘Mutts Nuts’. I have no use for an electronic compass; I have a proper one that doesn’t necessitate me doing a ritual ‘circle dance’ every time I swap batteries and to be honest, the triangulated altitude reading is accurate enough for me.

I use the map page for navigating (on manual zoom) in the car and I love it, although it does take a bit of getting used to. I have mine mounted in a mobile phone holder that’s stuck to the windscreen within easy reach. As the others have said, the ‘navigation’ page is best when walking the last bit from where ever you’ve tethered yer horse, or whatever.

In answer to you question, yes, upgrade... I don’t think you’ll regret it. The memory is a bit... well... limited but if you use the Roads & Recreation maps you can live with it.

The roads are accurate but railways, rivers and canals are a bit iffy and in the ‘heat of the moment’ it’s quite easy to plan a right turn at the junction coming up only to realise that it’s actually the Grand Union Canal. I know, I’ve tried.

Does that help you... probably not but I’m glad I bought mine.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

We had a Legend and "upgraded" to a Vista simply for the increased memory in which to store map data.

Sue & I concur with Pharisee comments generally but we tend to use the Nav screen when in the car, using the small compass display. This enables you to have two data fields with large numerals, distance to go to the next waypoint at the top, distance to final destination at the bottom. The "bent" needle display as you approach each waypoint indicates the direction of the new leg.

We use the map display when on the bikes, cycling to a cache. It enables you to see the route ahead - without being distracted as you travel.

Note that the older, single country R&R or Metroguide data CDs are more suitable for the etrex series because the "maptiles" are smaller. You can get a better selection loaded compare to the huge maptiles of the European set.

Sue & Bernie