absolute honesty

steve from rockratgirl:

in the posting i am going to explain my beliefs and motivations. some people are not going to like some thing i say, so here is a good place to post those feelings.

right, firstly GAGB was flawed. i have roughly worked out that it had the support of 5% of members of geocaching. how could it claim to be a representation of geocachers in the uk? i have pointed out elsewhere how seriously this would have been taken by local authorities.

secondly, with good conscience i can say that i take no responsibility for anybodies resignations. there is much anxiety within the group and with me as to who will take the administrative reins. however, i cannot control others actions. how others respond to anything i have to say is out of my control.

thirdly, this is a discussion forum. i do not believe myself to have been offensive or abusive. i have put forwards my opinions strongly and with passion. if i cause offence i will apologies. if someone takes offence then it is their lookout.

i also believe that others have been less than well behaved towards myself and my fiance sam. some of the postings have been histrionic, condescending and vastly out of proportion. some people really do need to get a sense of proportion.

lastly, i am genuinely pleased to see that an open debate has been fostered over the possibility of future associations of geocachers. these in future will have to be careful to not repeat the mistakes of GAGB. being, imho, having a far too narrow base of support and not attracting the interest of the vast 'silent majority'.

so, if people agree then please post. if people don't, then i'll be happy to listen. if anybody still needs a scapegoat, then feel free to post here aswell. i am very thick skinned.

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

quote:
Originally posted by Rockratgirl:

steve from rockratgirl:

in the posting i am going to explain my beliefs and motivations. some people are not going to like some thing i say, so here is a good place to post those feelings.

right, firstly GAGB was flawed. i have roughly worked out that it had the support of 5% of members of geocaching. how could it claim to be a representation of geocachers in the uk? i have pointed out elsewhere how seriously this would have been taken by local authorities.

secondly, with good conscience i can say that i take no responsibility for anybodies resignations. there is much anxiety within the group and with me as to who will take the administrative reins. however, i cannot control others actions. how others respond to anything i have to say is out of my control.

thirdly, this is a discussion forum. i do not believe myself to have been offensive or abusive. i have put forwards my opinions strongly and with passion. if i cause offence i will apologies. if someone takes offence then it is their lookout.

i also believe that others have been less than well behaved towards myself and my fiance sam. some of the postings have been histrionic, condescending and vastly out of proportion. some people really do need to get a sense of proportion.

lastly, i am genuinely pleased to see that an open debate has been fostered over the possibility of future associations of geocachers. these in future will have to be careful to not repeat the mistakes of GAGB. being, imho, having a far too narrow base of support and not attracting the interest of the vast 'silent majority'.

so, if people agree then please post. if people don't, then i'll be happy to listen. if anybody still needs a scapegoat, then feel free to post here aswell. i am very thick skinned.

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

No suprise that I agree 100%

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

quote:

This is a line from a Meatloaf song isn't it? what about the other one?

Not getting involved in the other stuff ......as far as I am concerned everyone is entitled to air their opinions and views on this forum as long as they are put over in a reasonable and informed manner.

quote:
how could it claim to be a representation of geocachers in the uk?

<SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

Frankly, I just considered the pages that had been thrown up to be a placeholder while the "real" association was formed. I didn't interpret any of the wording on the site to be a final charter... more likely just the wording that their resident web-head came up with to fill the space.

</SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

quote:
imho, having a far too narrow base of support and not attracting the interest of the vast 'silent majority'.

<SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

The "silent majority" don't come anywhere near these forums. Most UK geocachers won't ever know this argument even happened... except for the slight degradation that they'll see in cache approval over the coming weeks.

</SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

quote:
there is much anxiety within the group and with me as to who will take the administrative reins.

<SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

To quote the mantra that usually gets rolled out by the admin on these occasions:Geocaching.com is just a listing service. Listings will still appear - they'll just come through a lot slower (like the old days), and more stuff will be rejected (like the old days) because the remaining approvers aren't "natives" and don't understand our strange UK ways. At the end of the day, people will still hide lunchboxes in the countryside, and other people will continue to search for them.

</SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

quote:

lastly, i am genuinely pleased to see that an open debate has been fostered over the possibility of future associations of geocachers.

<SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

I'm not "genuinely pleased" about anything that's come out of this.

Ultimately, an association is only speaks for it's members. It's only as powerful as it's membership figures, and people will only join an association if they agree with it's charter. I don't really see what the problem is - if an associating is truely "not representative of the people" and your "silent majority is in opposition" theory holds true, then surely they'll only get a couple of dozen members and fizzle out through lack of credibility? Anybody can set up an association. If it's worthy, it'll garner support. If it isn't, it won't. The tenability of an association is completely self-fulfilling; Tears, insults and bloodshed are not necessary.

</SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE>

steve says:

thanks for your comments.

on the subject of is it meatloaf? i don't know, but if it is then i'm deeply embarrassed!!!

Speaking as a GAGB insider I'll just reiterate. No actual work had been done other than setting up the web site. The idea was for *geocachers in general* to run the site. I fully expected to take a back seat (or no seat) once it was running properly. Of course it didn't have a huge amount of support, we'd only announced it on the forum. Had it been successful at it's aims i.e. representing the interests of geocaching to other people, I'm sure it would have been accepted.

But no, some people just had to ruin it for everybody. The negotiations with HCC were/are a case in point. Tim & June spent a lot of time with HCC trying to put some guidelines together that would allow us to use their land. Incidentally, this was not a GAGB "operation", it started before that. When the HCC employee posts on the forum, people leap in and flame him to death. Nobody stops to *think* about the damage they may be doing if said employee turns out to be genuine. So now, Hampshire Council land is probably out of bounds to geocachers, as Forestry Commission land is for similar reasons. As somebody whol likes to cache in Hampshire my heart felt thanks goes to all those people who screwed it up for me. Especially the ones who don't even live in Hampshire. Especially the ones who don't even live in Hampshire *and* insist that negotiations should be done on a local level *and* can't resist opening their big gobs to ruin other people's negotiations anyway.

The fact is there is almost no land in the UK where you have the right to leave plastic boxes lying around so if you don't get a sensible attitude to land owners geocaching will be banned everywhere.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

[This message was edited by jeremyp on May 13, 2003 at 12:49 PM.]