GUK.com-GC.com Progress.

TheCat

I've just had an email from Elias. Apparently the GC.com servers have been having a bit of a hard time recently, hence the crackdown on webscrapers.

So, from the sound of it, right now they've got bigger worries to sort out than our XML feed! However, Elias is hoping to have a beta test feed in the next week or so. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

However, Elias is hoping to have a beta test feed in the next week or so. icon_cool.gif

Good to hear - it makes sense for GC.com, because having reams of stats to browse on GUK should take some of the burden from their servers.

Thanks guys - keep us posted! icon_smile.gif

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

We wouldn't be able to show the cache stats (ie the search facility + links to streetmap bits) because one of GC.com's main worries is the inclusion of archived caches (eg the recently archived Decaying Hospital cache) in such lists.

We could probably put the cacher stats (ie the cacher profile page) back up, if there was sufficient interest. Hopefully, though, we should be getting an XML feed sometime soon...

Just to let you know we are still waiting and have not gone away. We do hope to get the stats going again in the near future, but our hands are tied as we wait for GC.com.

Please bear with us we are doing our best. Though I do realise that it is almost 2 months since we shut the stats down as a sign of good faith.

When we get some more information we will of course pass it on.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

I just got an email from Elias. He's quite busy at the moment, so he's not made as much progress on the XML feed as he'd hoped. He's still working on it in the background but for the timebeing, he's agreed that we can switch the webscraper back on. Thanks Elias icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Unfortunately, it seems like the machine I run my webscraper on is currently on the geocaching.com blacklist icon_frown.gif Luckily my home PC is OK, so I'm currently bouncing all requests over my modem icon_rolleyes.gif, so getting the database up to date may take some time...

You may notice a couple of changes here and there. File downloads now require you to sign a license (just as on the GC.com site itself), and the OS grid references in the cache lists are only 6figs.

First priority is to get the database more accurate (there have always been problems with archived caches).

Second, I hope to get some sort of 'my stats' page, which will list your recent queries, and provide easy links to the most useful custom pages.

Also on the wish list are stats by county, improving the UK summary stats (graphs!) and adding more fields to the cacher stats (virgins defiled, for example!). Photo albums may also be on the cards...

quote:

You may notice a couple of changes here and there. File downloads now require you to sign a license (just as on the GC.com site itself), and the OS grid references in the cache lists are only 6figs.

First priority is to get the database more accurate (there have always been problems with archived caches).

Second, I hope to get some sort of 'my stats' page, which will list your recent queries, and provide easy links to the most useful custom pages.

Also on the wish list are stats by county, improving the UK summary stats (graphs!) and adding more fields to the cacher stats (virgins defiled, for example!). Photo albums may also be on the cards...

Any chance of some cache stats - ie stats about caches? Mean time between visits, total number of visits/found/notfounds. Most popular caches etc.etc

That would be cool.

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:

I just got an email from Elias. He's quite busy at the moment, so he's not made as much progress on the XML feed as he'd hoped. He's still working on it in the background but for the timebeing, he's agreed that we can switch the webscraper back on. Thanks Elias icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Let me see if I understand this. Jeremy says he doesnt like scraping, as it adds to the server load, as well as is taking data w/o permission. You switch off your scraper, and wait two months for gc.com to set a feed. Gc.com then decides that they will not be able to do the feed right away, and tells you to turn the scraper back on? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I note the comment above from Welch but can also understand GC.com's point of view they have lots of other preasures on there time. I am just glad that we are now able to get the data with there blessing. Also I will now be able to get on with the other improvements to the site I have had planned but put on hold pending the outcome of this issue. One last thing I am glad to have the stats back all be it with a webscraper rather than have to wait for GC.com to get the time to get the XML feed going and spend more time with no stats.

I would also like to thank Elias and the team at GC.com for the help they have provided. And hope that we can work together in the future to provide the UK Geocaching community with the rescources they deserve.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

Only just caught up with this bit of news. Well done Cat & Teasel. You've done the business and done it properly!

This bodes well for lasting good relations between GC & GUK - just as it should be.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:

I just got an email from Elias. He's quite busy at the moment

...busy banging his head against the desk trying to figure out what's happened to my "charter membership" status, I hope! icon_wink.gif

Great to see that stats back. I'm amazed at how many new dots have appeared on my autoroute map since the last update! - I thought winter was supposed to be a quiet time for caching!

John TGS.

OK I looked at my map of caches done/hidden by me (the one from within my own stats page, with just red and green dots on it and there is a rogue cache showing up red near Leeds in Yorshire. Further painstaking investigation shows that this is probably 'Mission Impossible (UK)' that is being mistakenly shown as found, when in fact I have found 'Mission Impossible (Beds)' by Masher, down in Bedfordshire.

Presumably you are only looking at a certain number of characters for detection/sorting processes, and the alphanumeric difference between the two is too far rightwards in the strings...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Good job we do not 'Shoot the messanger' any more.

A list of all caches, which have not been found by Nia, which are less than 100 km from SO45 1EN

0 caches found

This was not welcome news.

Seriously though its a great utility.

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

(woops edited - I presume you were pointing out a problem with the system icon_smile.gif )

Was I too subtle.

ok

MY POSTCODE DON'T WORK - SO45 1EN

This postcode has been in use for years, its on the database i had 5 years ago so it is not new.

It works on geocaching.com but not on geocachinguk or on chris's utility either.

just so you know, its not a big problem icon_smile.gif

Tech-no notice

Yes, unfortunately our postcode database is incomplete. At one point, so was the one on geocaching.com. Jeremy solved that by buying an up to date database (and was criticised on these forums for doing so!), but I'm afraid that's not an option for us.

If anyone has a more complete postcode database, please let me know!