Clues

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to gather some opinions about clues. Would you visit a cache that does not have a clue for it? Obviously, the difficulty would be higher than a standard cache but would you enjoy the challenge? or just find it anoying?

Don't be shy - lets here all points of view - I'm all ears ear.gif

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to gather some opinions about clues. Would you visit a cache that does not have a clue for it? Obviously, the difficulty would be higher than a standard cache but would you enjoy the challenge? or just find it anoying?

Don't be shy - lets here all points of view - I'm all ears http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/ear.gif

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

I don't care if it has a clue or not. I only use it as a last resort so if there were no clue to begin with I'd just keep looking.

george

To my mind a clue is just that - a help to finding the cache where there may be some problem in finding it e.g. trees or cliffs giving a poor signal or an area where there are loads of hiding places. I would expect a clue where there may be some difficulty. If there are no problems, I wouldn't expect one. GPS's are not an exact science and will only take someone fairly near to a cache. If a cache is put in a tricky place and a clue is not given it is a waste of everybody's time as it is unlikely anyone would find it. A clue shouldn't say exactly where the cache is but give someone some help. I wouldn't be impressed after walking 5 miles or more and having driven lots of miles to arrive at a cache area where the cache could be anywhere. I reckon it's a matter of common sense basically.

If there's no clue then the difficulty should be clear in the text and rating of caches to warn newcomers and people with children.

Personally I'd rather give people a chance to use the clue rather than go away disappointed - it should be their choice.

Of course, people can always choose not to try that particular cache . . .

Why not have a bit in the description so that if they want a clue they have to email an address for the clue.

You could use a free Email account and set up an automated response to mails which would send back the clue. That way you could post a hall of shame for people who felt inclined to use the cheat.

Of course this does not help if you are stood at the cache site scratching your head icon_confused.gif

Chris Franklin

Why not have a bit in the description so that if they want a clue they have to email an address for the clue.

You could use a free Email account and set up an automated response to mails which would send back the clue. That way you could post a hall of shame for people who felt inclined to use the cheat.

Of course this does not help if you are stood at the cache site scratching your head icon_confused.gif

Chris Franklin

Having done a number of caches with my 4 year old,(and a lousy GPS) clues are really useful and avoid endless disapointment and wingeing on the way back to the car. for instance I recently attempted the Pinchmill Puzzle with my daughter and niece (both 4). There was an encrypted clue however it was probably more cryptic that before it was decyphered icon_biggrin.gif However we failed to find it and had to walk a fair distance back to the car and the kids took a lot of convincing that a the whole point of the exercise was a nice walk in the country. To be fai, when I am on my own or without the kids I rarely use the cheat, however it is always useful as a backup.

I liked the idea of the automated email as people can make an active choice about how detailed a hint they need.

A bit rambly but thats my 2 pennorth

Peta (Mrs DawnRazor - finder of 2 caches today with 4 year old and without hints!!( but I had them with me just in case))

Having done a number of caches with my 4 year old,(and a lousy GPS) clues are really useful and avoid endless disapointment and wingeing on the way back to the car. for instance I recently attempted the Pinchmill Puzzle with my daughter and niece (both 4). There was an encrypted clue however it was probably more cryptic that before it was decyphered icon_biggrin.gif However we failed to find it and had to walk a fair distance back to the car and the kids took a lot of convincing that a the whole point of the exercise was a nice walk in the country. To be fai, when I am on my own or without the kids I rarely use the cheat, however it is always useful as a backup.

I liked the idea of the automated email as people can make an active choice about how detailed a hint they need.

A bit rambly but thats my 2 pennorth

Peta (Mrs DawnRazor - finder of 2 caches today with 4 year old and without hints!!( but I had them with me just in case))

If you're going to have a clue at all then the cache page is the place for it. Most of us aren't going to be in a position to email an address and wait for an answer while we're out on a hunt, and that's the point at which we're going to find out that we need a clue... icon_wink.gif

Writing good clues is an artform in itself, and a bad clue is worse than no clue.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

If you're going to have a clue at all then the cache page is the place for it. Most of us aren't going to be in a position to email an address and wait for an answer while we're out on a hunt, and that's the point at which we're going to find out that we need a clue... icon_wink.gif

Writing good clues is an artform in itself, and a bad clue is worse than no clue.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I think a clue (encrypted) is a very good idea although I would still try caches without.

I personally always try to put my caches somewhere fairly distinctive that, even with my GPS's notorious offset, should enable a searcher to find it. If there are a multitude of possible hiding places in the immediate vicinity the encrypted clue tends to be quite specific i.e. "walk 10 paces due north from the solitary lamp post and look behind the........etc".

That way you can look for as long as you want to then either give up or use the clue. It's up to you.

Peter

I guess as Oz is just a vast flat desert clues would be pointless ;-)

Seriously though, I think a description adds something to the cache. It's like a shop window advertising the sort of place you are likely to encounter. When planning which caches to go to I rely to some extent on the descriptions. I'm more likely to visit an attractive or unusual sounding cache if there's a choice.

Peter

p.s. don't take offence at the first comment (joke)! Oz is a place I'd dearly love to visit and WHEN I do I'll certainly take the GPS - clues or not.

I've done several caches without clues and some caches with clues that don't actually help. The example that comes to mind (and this is not a criticism) is cluedo 7 where the encrypted clue said nothing about the location of the cache. The reason it comes to mind is that I had spent about half an hour searching through wet knee high heather in the rain already when I decided I was too cold and wet and needed finish the cache very soon.

I don't think there should be any hard and fast rules about whether a cache has an encrypted clue or not. It certainly doesn't affect whether I do the cache or not.

Actually, there is one rule: it should be possible to do the cache without decrypting the clue.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

Like many others - whether a cache has a clue or not is immaterial - until you actually get out there and can't find it with or without the clue - then it's insanely irritating that either there is no clue or there's no useful clue icon_biggrin.gif

Like many others - whether a cache has a clue or not is immaterial - until you actually get out there and can't find it with or without the clue - then it's insanely irritating that either there is no clue or there's no useful clue icon_biggrin.gif

You have to try it without the clue, but when you have looked around and poked about and still not found it you decipher the clue. It's worth it for the "Doh! why didn't I look there it's obvious." icon_biggrin.gif But it can be so frustrating if the clue still doesn't help.

You have to try it without the clue, but when you have looked around and poked about and still not found it you decipher the clue. It's worth it for the "Doh! why didn't I look there it's obvious." icon_biggrin.gif But it can be so frustrating if the clue still doesn't help.

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Space:

I agree wholeheartedly! What is the use of being told a tree is "pollarded"?

Thanks, Hornet!

Fancy being near 3000 trees and told "it's under a tree ?" - I did that to Moss Trooper when there were only 10-12 caches - at least if it's in a pollarded tree you'd have some clue that the tree you were looking for might be different to the other 2999 around you.

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

Not sure i would attempt a cache without a clue but it might be fun i suppose provided things wernt all that difficult! i cant imagine doing something like 'welwyn woodlands' without that extra bit of help although the clue wasnt exactly brilliant with 100 fallen silver birch trees in every direction we looked!

Dan Wilson (Team Dan and Pid)

I must admit that there are times when I have had to fall back on the clue, especially when having the kids with me and all they want to do is "...go back to the car, I'm bored, I'm tired, etc..."

Having said that, clue quality can vary.

I would always rather have a clue that is cryptic, or give a distance and bearing from a more obvious object, so that SOME thought has to go towards finding the cache. I would rather this than get a clue that states "The cache is hidden beneath three logs under the pylon next to the substation with a sign on it saying THE CACHE IS HERE" icon_smile.gif

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

I must admit that there are times when I have had to fall back on the clue, especially when having the kids with me and all they want to do is "...go back to the car, I'm bored, I'm tired, etc..."

Having said that, clue quality can vary.

I would always rather have a clue that is cryptic, or give a distance and bearing from a more obvious object, so that SOME thought has to go towards finding the cache. I would rather this than get a clue that states "The cache is hidden beneath three logs under the pylon next to the substation with a sign on it saying THE CACHE IS HERE" icon_smile.gif

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...