Thinking of creating one abroad

Stuey

If I make a regular cache in Ibiza, is it okay if I am not able to go back regularly to visit it? Or should it be a virtual one? The reason I ask is because it would be cool to start a Travel Bug there and have the goal to get to my nearest "home" cache here in Devon.

What do you think?

--

Cheers,

Stuey icon_biggrin.gif

This is from the guidelines:

quote:
Placing caches on vacation is unacceptable and these caches will not be approved on the web site. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. Please be responsible.

You can find the full guidelines here.

Obviously they're US oriented, and you have to take them accordingly. Also, there will soon be UK specific guidelines. But the bit I've quoted seems to answer your question. Are there any caches there already where you could put the TB?

Bill

quote:
Placing caches on vacation is unacceptable and these caches will not be approved on the web site. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. Please be responsible.

Though not stated in the guidelines, I think an exception to this is if you're going to place a cache in a very extreme location, like this one. Such caches couldn't really be maintained even if you lived locally, and are so remote that nothing's likely to disturb them in any case.

So now all you've got to do is find a volcano in Ibiza...

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

This is from the guidelines:

Are there any caches there already where you could put the TB?

Bill

Sadly there are none on the island at all. Oh well icon_frown.gif Thanks for your responses.

--

Cheers,

Stuey icon_biggrin.gif

There certainly seems to be plenty of caches that have been placed by people on holiday. I know that doesn't mean it is right.

There are certainly pleanty of caches that aren't maintained, no matter how local the cacher.

Ireland in general has quite a few caches obviously left by Americans and others on holiday. I am happy to search for these caches and tidy them up if required, rather than not have them here. Although if they reached epidemic proportions I could see that enthusiasm being strained.

How regulary should I be visiting my own caches?

Should I only have to visit them when required? If so what is my response time supposed to be, a week, a month?

In other words, is "while on vacation" intended to imply that once a year is not managing a cache.

Would posting a note like "could next visitor change the log book" brand me as being irresponsible, whether I had planted the cache on holiday, on business or on my doorstep"

Funny things guidelines

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.