Non-caching help / London travel

Greetings,

I'll be visiting London shortly and wonder...

Is it safe to take the Underground from Heathrow into London (Victoria/Pimlico area) at 9:30pm?

(Let me say I have no worries taking the NYC subway at that time of night).

Appreciate any/many answers.

Thanks,

CB

------------------------

icon_wink.gif

I would say yes.

Pimlico is not a bad area. there are many tourist small hotels very near to the station. I asume that you will be staying at one of these. Any further questions I will be pleased to help if I can.

( I bet some on here thought I was going to advise you to take a Taxi)

I'm the opposite of you; travel every day on the London Underground and been a tourist in Mahattan twice. Never felt threatened on either. Enjoy your trip to London.

[This message was edited by martic10 on July 29, 2002 at 02:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by martic10 on July 29, 2002 at 02:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by martic10 on July 29, 2002 at 02:38 PM.]

The London Underground is generlly safe all around the central area this time of year. Lots of tourists are around.

The areas to avoid if any are the Richmond, Ealing and Acton districts.

Also avoid the Lightisdh green line at night....thats the district one! espeically if there is a football game on at Stamford Bridge, thugs galore!

Whilst your in London be sure to check out the Sherlock series! its a cracker.

Elementary my dear Macdehack!

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)

Appreciate your comments and well wishes!

Yikes, re:

quote:

The areas to avoid if any are the Richmond, Ealing and Acton districts.

Also avoid the Lightisdh green line at night....thats the district one! espeically if there is a football game on at Stamford Bridge, thugs galore!

I believe I've got to go from Heathrow, change at Acton onto the District line to reach my destination! Guess I'll have to put on a 'leave me alone face" for my journey. icon_razz.gif

Hope to do a bit of caching whilst in the UK.

Ta,

C.B.

------------------------

icon_wink.gif

Hello again Cachebaby,

You should be pretty safe on the tube, at the moment a bigger worry is passing out with the heat!

You can find most caches in London on the Caching Tube map, most of which can be done in those shoes icon_biggrin.gif

and there is some more advice & links here

Don't forget you can claim the second half of the sisters cache whilst your here.

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Just a tip for speed on your journey. Instead of changing from the Piccadilly line (Blue) to the District Line (Green) at Acton Town do it at Hammersmith, otherwise you add another 4 stops to your journey.

Enjoy yourself over here. Most of us are friendly, honestly! icon_smile.gif

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

quote:
Instead of changing from the Piccadilly line (Blue) to the District Line (Green) at Acton Town do it at Hammersmith

Baron's Court will also work (the platforms are at the same level), but Earl's Court is too late, because by that stage the Piccadilly is much deeper than the District, so you end up negotiating lots of escalators and passages...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by philgn:

Another option would be to take the Heathrow express to paddington, and then a TAXI to your destination, you can't get safer than that, who's bias. Another tip would be to bring some wellies, this is England, we've had our two weeks of summer

This has the advantage that you can do "Paddingto Dare" whilst you are there icon_wink.gif

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by philgn:

....Another option would be to take the Heathrow express to paddington, and then a TAXI to your destination, you can't get safer than that, who's bias.....

Yeh! Just say philgn said to ask for a complimentary journey. You'll love the traditional cockney response icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Seriously the tube will certainly be the quickest/cheapest option. You'll have few problems travelling anywhere in central London (and this time of the year no Chelsea hooligans unless you bump into Pid!!)

Or you can get a tube from Paddington or a bus. The London tube is pretty safe generally. I would have no worries about travelling on the central bit at any time of day or night. Once you get out of the centre it might be different, I don'y know.

PS don't believe anything Pid says, he is a danger magnet and therefore has a biased opinion about what is dangerous and what isn't. He's one of only two cachers to nearly get shot in this country icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

OY. You kids! icon_smile.gif

Chris&Maria: thanks for the tips. I hope one of the two days I'm in London I'll be able to snag the second half of the Sisters Cache. icon_smile.gif

Thanks Kennamatic & Lazy L for the Hammersmith/Barrons Court tips... who wants to drag a suitcase more than necessary.

Hopefully the heat over here in NYC(92-95 degrees) has made anything else (short of Bombay) a drop in the bucket!

philhn: Wellies... yes, I would like a pair of those... but not this trip...please! icon_razz.gif

Jeremyp/Hornet: I did think someone with bug eyes like Pid's would be slighly suspect (j/k). Thanks for sealing the safety of the tube.

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.

This is my second visit to London/England and am really looking forward to the lovely people and the sites (yesssss... V&A this trip).

icon_biggrin.gif

C.B.

------------------------

icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cachebaby:

This is my second visit to London/England and am really looking forward to the lovely people and the sites (yesssss... V&A this trip).

Going to the V&A? If you go into the plaster casts room with the model of Michaelangelo's David, be sure to walk all around the statue. There's a great surprise on the back of the plinth.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

to collect the coordinates. Might be fun to do...anyone London-based? Idea & cache ownership is up for grabs!

I have enough to do setting up the "tourist" caches in Edinburgh in time for the Festival. (finished last weekend, phew!)

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-