Feature Request - Draw Features on Cache Map

TheLimeCat

When I attempt backcountry caches, I typically like to plan my route using another mapping site like Google Maps or a popular trail app. This way I can draw the track, add pins for potential hazards or prominent landmarks, and track distance and elevation gain. However, I do this in a piecemeal fashion, and sometimes due to changes in plans, I lose track of a map over time. I was thinking recently that it would be useful to draw persistent features on the cache map that only I can see, that I can then delete at any point. This way, I can draw routes for those tough backcountry caches I've been thinking about attempting, or mark off an area I want to avoid, like a private parcel. When I'm out in the field navigating to the cache, I won't have to separately load my track and toggle between apps. I can just remain in the single app. This also ensures I don't forget any route-related info or lose track of the maps I've created. I know that we already have the ability to add cache-specific waypoints, but I find that it could be useful to create globally visible waypoints for trailheads or landmarks that are applicable to more than one cache or would be convenient to see at a glance so I don't forget about them months or years down the line.

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, TheLimeCat said:

When I attempt backcountry caches, I typically like to plan my route using another mapping site like Google Maps or a popular trail app. This way I can draw the track, add pins for potential hazards or prominent landmarks, and track distance and elevation gain. However, I do this in a piecemeal fashion, and sometimes due to changes in plans, I lose track of a map over time. I was thinking recently that it would be useful to draw persistent features on the cache map that only I can see, that I can then delete at any point. This way, I can draw routes for those tough backcountry caches I've been thinking about attempting, or mark off an area I want to avoid, like a private parcel. When I'm out in the field navigating to the cache, I won't have to separately load my track and toggle between apps. I can just remain in the single app. This also ensures I don't forget any route-related info or lose track of the maps I've created. I know that we already have the ability to add cache-specific waypoints, but I find that it could be useful to create globally visible waypoints for trailheads or landmarks that are applicable to more than one cache or would be convenient to see at a glance so I don't forget about them months or years down the line.

Great idea. I've suggested before I'd like to be able to add custom waypoints to the map for similar purposes, even just like planning a hide. For now I work around it by changing coords on a far off cache I'm unlikely to use.... I'd like to be able to drag a measurement pin to estimate distances too, but for now would even settle for *all* maps to have scale bars shown, which some seem to be disappointingly missing....

The Geocaching Map Enhancements browser addon might do what you require. It allows you to plot a track and then export it as a .gpx and it also has measurement tools among many other things.

It doesn't have the abilitly to create (semi)permanent waypoints thought, anything you add to the map is only persistant for that session, but still may be worth a look - I wouldn't be without it.

https://github.com/2Abendsegler/GME/tree/main#readme

13 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

This request seems rather niche. Probably better left to Locus.

GSAK allows user waypoints too, both child waypoints attached to a cache and your own freestanding reference points.

It's not niche. Geooh GO can load any GPX track file from hiking/biking websites. It also creates track files as you hike to make it easier to travel back to starting location. Since they are standard formats you can share with any app. If someone has mapped an easy route to a cache, it would be nice to use.

Geooh can also overlay any KML or GeoJSON file on the map. I've used KML files that had tracks and markers for trail heads and interesting points of interest.

11 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

It's not niche. Geooh GO can load any GPX track file from hiking/biking websites. It also creates track files as you hike to make it easier to travel back to starting location. Since they are standard formats you can share with any app. If someone has mapped an easy route to a cache, it would be nice to use.

Geooh can also overlay any KML or GeoJSON file on the map. I've used KML files that had tracks and markers for trail heads and interesting points of interest.

So basically Geooh GO adds the functionality of a Garmin with trail maps loaded.