Computers

Pid recently posted a topic about the page for one of his caches. Inevitably the subject of non M$ browsers came up. This got me thinking about doing a survey as to what browsing software people are using. I was going to do a poll, but the options are too numerous for five responses.

I'll get the ball rolling:

I use M$ IE 5.1 on Mac OS X.1.x mostly, but also IE 6 on Win98 and 2K occasionally.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

I use IE6 on a PC running W98 SE2 normally.

I also use a Palm m515 with Blazer via my mobile phone when I am "Out on the hunt".

I have twice used a Compaq iPAQ (3870) with the built in browser again with a mobile phone.

Now those last 2 methods should open up the debate just a little !!

Regards,

Finger

Finger

(UK Charter Member)

I use IE 5 & 6 on Windows 95/NT/2000/XP (depending whether I'm at work or Home). I kinda think that if you stick to well formed HTML, so that when you open a tag you always close it, your stuff should work on most browsers, even the extremley finiky Netscape 4.x

pcangry.gif

If you are going to add goodies dazzler1.gif just do it for non essentials - I've done the cache but never noticed the sound as I don't have a sound card in any of my machines.

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Some stats of interest.

Internet Explorer 5.x:

~56% of page accesses, down from 78% a year ago. Usage peaked at 82% in Aug 2001, then tumbled with the advent of IE6.

Internet Explorer 6.x:

~32% of page accesses. IE6 should quickly become the leading browser as users upgrade: it took only 9 months for IE5 to become the leading browser; similar rapid growth can be expected for IE6.

Netscape 4.x:

~4.5% of page accesses, down from 8% a year ago. This percentage should continue to shrink slowly, then shrink more rapidly as NN6 becomes stable.

Internet Explorer 4.x: ~3.6% of page accesses, down from 10% a year ago. This percentage is shrinking as people upgrade their browsers.

AOL:

~5-6% of page accesses. These accesses are also included in the percentages for Internet Explorer, since AOL's browser uses Internet Explorer. This percentage should remain about the same in the near term.

Mozilla and Netscape 6.x:

~1.1% of page accesses. This has grown significantly since the release of Netscape 6.1.

Opera:

~0.75% of page accesses. This has recently been growing slowly but steadily.

Netscape 3.x:

~0.05% of page accesses. This percentage is shrinking as people upgrade their browsers.

Internet Explorer 3.x:

~0.05% of page accesses. This percentage is shrinking as people upgrade their browsers.

Internet Explorer 2.x:

quote:
Originally posted by dawnrazor:

Some stats of interest.

Where do they come from? I was specifically interested in UK geocachers accessing www.geocaching.com and including browser *and* operating system.

Also, please can people please limit posts to talking about browser/OS/hardware platform. I don't want this thread to become a duplicate of the one Pid started.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Also, please can people please limit posts to talking about browser/OS/hardware platform. I don't want this thread to become a duplicate of the one Pid started.

That is what people have been doing - don't panic.

Why do you want this information?

-----------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

Speaking of how to browse.

Does anybody else use WAP? And would anybody else think it would be really neat to get cache details via WAP? If you are like me and you just have the waypoint in the GPS, and suddenly decide to try a nearby cache when you are somewhere out and about, but don't have access to the web, or printouts of cache details, being able to read the cache descriptions, even a potted version via WAP would be so cool.

I have added WAP support to websites and it's pretty dadgum trivial to do. I don't know if it has been suggested before.

Apart from the stuff I mentioned I use, I also have Eudora web on my Palm and so can access web pages by dialling up through my mobile.

My mobile is WAP enabled but due to the poor interface (small screen and poor input device) it is nearly useless as a WAP browser.

-------

jeremyp