Antenna for Garmin eMap

Has anyone any experience of using accessory antennas with an eMap. I've been looking for one to use in the car but maybe if it's not too long (icon_eek.gif) using it to get better reception under all these leaves that have started appearing on the trees! GPS Warehouse have their own range of Mini Antennas at under £30 or Low Profile antennas at around £25 which compare very well pricewise with Garmin's low profile offering at around £75. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Also, anyone know where to get a 64Mb memory card for an eMap for less than £75?

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

Most of these antennas are designed to be attached to car roof which provides a 'ground plane'. If you intend to use the antenna while hoofing it you might like to consider using an alternative form of ground plane. If the antenna is magnetic (most are) you can place it on a metal plate thus providing the ground plane. This, apparently, reduces the signal ground noise. You can then mount the antenna in a hat and wear it! icon_smile.gifSeriously see http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=77960305&r=31460605#31460605 icon_eek.gif

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

I used to wear a hat with an antenna in it! I'm wearing it in my avatar actually... no, the antenna isn't in one of the horns! Anyway, it did improve the signal somewhat whilst walking, but the best difference was using my GPS in the car, at which point I'd put the antenna on the roof of the car to get a decent ground-plane.

Anyway, choice is yours. The antennas at GPS warehouse are very good! [icon_wink.gif]

I can only find one placethat sells 64MB data cards at£75, but it was only a brief search... way past my bedtime y'know![icon_biggrin.gif]

Neutiquam erro.

Before you start wearing a metal plate on your head you may like to check the type of antenna that you've got. A balanced antenna is designed for use without a ground plane, although raising the antenna above your body (which blocks GPS signals) may help.

An unbalanced antenna will benefit from a ground plane, with the improvement depending on the nature of the antenna itself (a quarter pole becomes effectively a dipole antenna, with significant improvement).

Unless you're willing to walk around looking like Omally (although I'd have to admit it's a truly impressive hat....) then I'd recommend going for a balanced unit such as the Garmin 27c you mentioned before (and you can buy it for less than £75, there's one on ebay which had a "buy it now" option for £32).

I've got a 27c with my eMap, it does help considerably under poor signal / tree cover conditions.

Dave

I have used a Lowe electronics external ariel for the last 5 years or so. I leave it permanantly attached, and it has survived all that mother nature can throw at it.

Improves reception in pooor areas by a significant factor. I did experiment attaching it to the top of my monopod last year to improve signal reception in leafy areas, as I could hold it aloft, but decided in the end it was more trouble than it was worth. You can find the details for the ariels at

http://www.lowe-electronics.com/acatalog/Lowe_Electronics_Accessories_24.html

Best Wishes

Mark