eTrex Cigarette Lighter Adapter

I'm looking at eTrex accessories at GPSW.co.uk. The Garmin cigarette lighter adapter is £30; but there is a GPSW "own brand" adapter available, too.

Does anybody know if there is some reason why the Garmin cable is worth the extra £10, or should I just go with the GPSW cable?

From what I can tell from the images, the only difference appears to be that the GPSW cable is coiled, whilst the Garmin is a straight cable design.

Thank you!

I'd recommend the 'eP3' cable from Lynx Cables for £12.95 inc P&P. (or the 'ePC4' or 'ePC6' if you want a coiled cable)

I have no affiliation with them except for being a satisfied customer. I use them for all my GPS cabling... cheap, good quailty and excellent service.

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

We've found that since getting 4 pairs of NiMH batteries (4 x 2000mAH and 4 x 2100mAH) and a fast charger, we haven't needed to use the cigarette lighter adapter at all.

Also, I assume the only difference between the Garmin cable and the others is that if you accidentally fry your GPS using the other cable, it won't be under warranty. There's a little diddy power supply in the cable itself, so I can imagine a cheap one might not provide the correct clean power for the unit.

They probably do, though.

any adapter that purports to service the Etrex has got to have circuitry in it for reducing the 12V power of teh car system to 3V. This is not difficult (technically) to do, and costs peanuts. There is therefore no excuse for any manufacturer to make a "bad" one. I suspect the only difference in reality is the branding.

And I'm an electronics engineer.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Thanks for the info, guys.

There is apparently at least one third-party adapter that does not have the polarity groove, which keeps you from plugging it in backwards (so says Prime Suspect). Potentially something to watch out for...

Yes! As I was typing this, I received a despatch note for my eTrex Legend from GPSW! Excited! I will (hopefully!) get to play at the weekend! icon_biggrin.gif

People of Britain (and the other continental bits too)...

If you need a 12v power supply for your eTrex, Geko or eMap, have a look at these people:

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=42698189

I have just received 2 from them for $26 - and that included $6 shipping.

They are quick and have a high eBay recommendation - including me! It irritates me to say it but... shop USA for lower prices than Rip-off Europe.

P.S: Oh yes! They are labelled eP3-20 and have the flat cable and plug (with the polarity groove). Seem to be the same units that Lynx Cable will flog you for twice the price...

Sue & Bernie

[This message was edited by Sue & Bernie on August 09, 2003 at 12:10 AM.]