Heated Widscreens - Problem?

Nobby

I set off in the car to find a cache at the weekend, but had great difficulty getting a lock whilst driving along. I tried various positions for the GPS unit and eventually got a lock with it wedged up at the very edge of the windscreen/dash.

It only occurred to me later that perhaps the problem could be to do with the fine wire elements in the heated windscreen, having an attenuating effect on the signal ? As we have only had this car (Ford Galaxy) a short while it is the first time I have used my GPS in it. It is also the first time I have used my new GPSMAP 76S (previously my Etrex worked in other cars without any problem) in a car. I am therefore not sure if it is the GPS unit or the heated screen that is causing me problems.

Has anyone else experienced problems in cars with heated screens?

Regards

Nobby

Yup same problem different car. 'er indoors has a Vauxhall Sintra that has a metallised screen so reception is poor at the centre of the dash. The side windows are okay so I lock on at the side then move my eTrex Legend more centrally hoping not to loose too many sats. My Ford Cougar is okay. The Sintra is due to be replaced with a Galaxy so it would seem to be doomed to drop outs.

Hi there

I have a Ford Mondeo with front heated screen and use an etrex Vista, although the reception in the car is not as good as standing outside the car, i still get a decent reception and once its locked on very rarely loose it. I also track speed traps on a Morpheous Geodesy GPS data tracker and it sits right behind the heated front screen and the reception on this is spot on. Also sitting directly behind the windscreen is a Bel 990 international radar detector that the manufactures advise not to use behind a heated screen, and it also has no problems at all!

icon_wink.gif

Hi there

I have a Ford Mondeo with front heated screen and use an etrex Vista, although the reception in the car is not as good as standing outside the car, i still get a decent reception and once its locked on very rarely loose it. I also track speed traps on a Morpheous Geodesy GPS data tracker and it sits right behind the heated front screen and the reception on this is spot on. Also sitting directly behind the windscreen is a Bel 990 international radar detector that the manufactures advise not to use behind a heated screen, and it also has no problems at all!

icon_wink.gif

No problem with my Ford Scorpio. Also it wedges really well between dash top and windscreen. Much beter than in my Lexus which doesn't have heated screen so eliminated from this research.

Only a few more cars to go in the Ford range and we might be able to invoice them for the research!

icon_biggrin.gif

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

No problem with my Ford Scorpio. Also it wedges really well between dash top and windscreen. Much beter than in my Lexus which doesn't have heated screen so eliminated from this research.

Only a few more cars to go in the Ford range and we might be able to invoice them for the research!

icon_biggrin.gif

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

I don't have any problems with her Peugeot 306 or my Taxi (Metrocab) with both the etrex (Yellow) or Streetpilot colourmap. But they don't have heated windscreens. I'll tell you what though. The GPS's interfere with the radio/CD/tape. I nearly got beaten up the other day because She could not listen to her music.

I have just been looking at the re-radiating antennas. They would most probably do the trick but I am reluctant to introduce more wires trailing around the dash.

On close inspection, the wire elements in the heated screen stop short of the edges (3-4 inches at the bottom corners). It may be that there is a 'sweet spot' at the very edge of the screen. I hope to spend some time testing this out at the weekend.

Thanks for everyone’s response.

Nobby