Where was I?

I have returned from a trip to Scotland. When I was there I proudly found a cache that I had no cache sheet for, just the co-ordinates on the GPS.

I've tried to log it but I can't find it at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its in Eglington Country park, Kilwinning, Ayreshire.

Co-ords N55 38.326

W 004 39.575

Name? gunther

My searches came up with nothing. the cache is physically still there. I thought even archieved caches could be retrieved.

Hints or help greatly appreciated, maybe you even logged this one?

042502_2217_1578_prv.gif It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Lance,

Don't think it's one of ours... icon_wink.gif

I'm 'quite good' at finding things on the internet, and there ain't nothing out there that looks like a cache anywhere near there...

2 caches found, which are less than 10 miles from KILWINNING (G:UK search)

7.70mls NW 'The Seamill Seals' GCEE15 WEST KILBRIDE 2003-03-29 by Pooter

8.15mls SE 'Texas Connection' GCD1B 2001-06-20 by The Houstonians

Nothing like it with a Google search, and some other search engines as well...

Strange... I like a mystery, but this one's too far for me to go play. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Hope this helps,

Derek

"Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". [icon_smile.gif]

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

Hmmm. I just downloaded the whole of the UK caches into Memory-Map (from CG.UK) and then checked in the area of your coords. Sure enough it's Eglington Country Park, but no cache near there listed. The closest seems to be 7 miles due south on the coast at Troon...

(Some time later)... found it. It's Gunthers Gifts and is archived.

Wasn't Gunther the chap that had some troll accusations directed at him a month or so ago (over the GAGB flame war) and in the end publicly asked the Admins to remove his account in this forum ?... Anyway, his profile is inactive.

BTW I found this cache listing by searching for 'Gunther' in the forums, viewing his profile and checking his hidden caches from there.

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

Thanks,

to all the above. I knew I was somewhere. but I just couldn't tie it down through GC.com.

If its archieved I suppose I can't log it. (edit: oh yes I can) The cache still has some of its original contents and is exactly where it says it is.

I remember the Gunther story now, but never connected the two. Great detective work Team Paradise!!

042502_2217_1578_prv.gif It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

[This message was edited by Lance Ambu on June 24, 2003 at 05:05 PM.]

I don't believe there anything technically stopping you from logging an archived cache. If you click the 'Log your visit' link it correctly brings up the logging page... If it were me, I would! icon_smile.gif

If it's in a worthwhile location then perhaps someone local might like to 'adopt' it and get it out of the archives ?

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

Gunther also seems to have been using the name 'Debi and Hazel' for a while early last year...

3 caches within a week (2 different usernames, pointing to the same account), all in the same area... (all pointing to a troll type.)

the neverending nest by Debi and Hazel (GC572B) placed the same day as a Gunther cache...

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid... icon_wink.gif

"Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". [icon_smile.gif]

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

quote:
Originally posted by DerekReed:

Gunther also seems to have been using the name 'Debi and Hazel' for a while early last year...

3 caches within a week (2 different usernames, pointing to the same account), all in the same area... (all pointing to a troll type.)

I noticed that too Derek. It does smell a little fishy... but it all appears to be ancient history now anyway... (he says, ducking in case Gunther resurrects his profile and flames me icon_smile.gif)

Let's set the record straight, as I don't think Gunther will make a reappearance.

Gunther's Gifts was the very first cache I found - just down the road from me, and I guess Gunther is as responsible as anyone for this obsession I've now got. As far as I'm concerned, He was a regular cacheing guy who found quite a few of my first caches, for which I'm grateful. Debbi and Hazel are his kids who had their own cache set up by him. For whatever reason, he started winding you lot up about the Geocacheuk site and got severely flamed. He then took his bat home, quit geocacheing, and archived his two caches and, bizzarely, deleted all the cache logs on them.

It surprised me that you could go into an archived cache and (re)record your log, but that's what I (and a few others) did. When you're obsessive about your score, each one counts.

R.I.P. Gunther

When time comes, we'll all be drownded, lad

We, too, have found a box at an archived cache location. Now, looking back at the 'littering' arguments of the Modern Antiquarians etc. I (Stu) think this is well out of order.

If you're archiving a cache, surely you should go and fetch the box back. If it's due to no-finds, you should be checking if it's there before archiving anyway.

To archive a cache and leave the box in the wild is just wrong.

Think that you're absolutely right Stu. No-one should archive a cache without getting it checked out. I'll go and sort out Gunther's caches.

As I'm emotionally attached to Gunther's Gifts, has anyone got any objections if I resurrect it under my name?

When time comes, we'll all be drownded, lad

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

We, too, have found a box at an archived cache location. Now, looking back at the 'littering' arguments of the Modern Antiquarians etc. I (Stu) think this is well out of order.

If you're archiving a cache, surely you should go and fetch the box back. If it's due to no-finds, you should be checking if it's there before archiving anyway.

To archive a cache and leave the box in the wild is just wrong.

Quite agree with the sentiments, however there may be a number of circumstances where a cache could be archived on the site, but remain in the wild.

There have been situations where admins have had to archive a cache, and the cache owner either ignores requests to remove the cache themselves, or, as has happened, say that they are unable to remove the cache because they are too far away/too busy to visit the cache site.

It is also worth remembering that for various reasons caches on here may have been archived, either by their owners, or by admins, but other sites continue to list them, and people on those other sites continue to find them.

Richard

" I'll go and sort out Gunther's caches.

As I'm emotionally attached to Gunther's Gifts, has anyone got any objections if I resurrect it under my name?"

Go for it Pooter! If it's archived, then you can adopt it by asking the original owner if it is ok, and both of you emailing GC.com.

However, in these circumstances, maybe it's best to check the box out, add a new log book and submit a new cache page with the details on. We have done this in the past with an archived cache where we couldn't contact the original owners.

Good luck!

Sarah

--

quote:
Originally posted by Pooter:

I don't know, all you need is a lucky guess at his password.

Well if he uses a password that is easy for people to guess - then he is an 'idiot'. icon_smile.gif

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

I would suggest people tread carefully before adopting caches that are still in place and archived on GC.com. This is the case with all of mine but that doesn't mean I have given up the game. I just choose to move to another listing site.

I would be very upset if someone took over my caches without my permission.

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

I just choose to move to another listing site.

I hadn't realized you'd abandoned gc.com but I think it's a great shame.

Unless you have a major problem with the way Jeremy Irish runs things or with the cachers who do use gc.com then I, for one, would ask you please to reconsider.

It would be a great pity if the furore which surrounded the launch of GAGB resulted in an even greater net loss to the UK cacheing community.

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

I hadn't realized you'd abandoned gc.com but I think it's a great shame.

I'm not the first and probably not the last

quote:

Unless you have a major problem with the way Jeremy Irish runs things

No reason to have any problem with Jeremy. His site his rules and they are pretty much as when I started.

quote:

or with the cachers who do use gc.com then I, for one, would ask you please to reconsider.

It would be a great pity if the furore which surrounded the launch of GAGB resulted in an even greater net loss to the UK cacheing community.

My feelings on the GAGB are well known here and there is little point in going through them again.

As I said before, the game goes on, caches get found and approved. The disaster and death of the game didn't happen as predicted by some.

My caches are still there for people to find and log just with another site.

I was starting to wonder why you have removed you caches from GC.COM and various possibilities had come to mind but none of them seemed to me to be valid reasons for doing so.

- Maybe because you had got ticked off with people in these forums. Possible, but no reason to withdraw from Jeremy's site because of Us lot, who are nothing to do with Jeremy. In that instance, you would witdraw from these forums, but not from GC.COM

- Maybe because of the GAGB "thing". Possible, but again, nothing to do with Jeremy's GC.COM site, so no reason to take it out on him.

- Maybe becuase you were ticked off at Jeremy. Not possible, since you have already said above that you have no problem with him.

So now it gets curiouser and curiouser. The archived cache pages have notes on them from you saying you no longer "wish to play the game through GC.COM." So one is persuaded to concluded that is a problem you have with GC.COM itself, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

Any chance of enlightenment from you?

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

- Maybe because you had got ticked off with people in these forums. Possible, but no reason to withdraw from Jeremy's site because of Us lot, who are nothing to do with Jeremy. In that instance, you would witdraw from these forums, but not from GC.COM

- Maybe because of the GAGB "thing". Possible, but again, nothing to do with Jeremy's GC.COM site, so no reason to take it out on him.

I never meant this to end up as an explaination of my reasons for leaving gc.com as I feel that people that make grand announcements like that are usually looking for sympathy etc. I was just adding to a thread my concern that people could be taking over caches that the original placer was still looking after but through another site.

To answer the reason for leaving it is mainly due to the GAGB thing. I don't want to explain those reasons via the forums as that will probably just kick off another round of grief.

And yes, I do still check out these forums and the activities of the GAGB because I am still playing the geocaching game. icon_smile.gif

Ah well, thanks for the explanantion. I always was going to ask somewhere at some point.

I do appreciate it is you choice, and no-one is forced to play the game through either one site or any other. I would say I am surprised though, that the activities and furore surrounding another website have caused you to take out your ire on Jeremy's site. I can entirely understand you have a position regarding GAGB, but this is GC.COM not GAGB.

You don't have to explain your actions any further, and I won't be offended if you don't reply to this post. It is not really intending to provoke a response, just to air my surprise at the linking of two seemingly unrelated things.

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

I do appreciate it is you choice, and no-one is forced to play the game through either one site or any other. I would say I am surprised though, that the activities and furore surrounding another website have caused you to take out your ire on Jeremy's site.

The weirdest thing is that he has taken his caches from GC.COM (which has nothing to do with GAGB), but does continue to check the forums here and the progress of GAGB (which, strangely enough does have something to do with GAGB). Isn't that backwards?

Ho hum... each to their own...

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

The weirdest thing is that he has taken his caches from GC.COM (which has nothing to do with GAGB), but _does_ continue to check the forums here and the progress of GAGB (which, strangely enough does have something to do with GAGB). Isn't that backwards?

I don't see anything wierd. Just because you don't agree with something and wouldn't want to participate doesn't prevent you from taking an interest.

As for MCL's comment about this being GC.COM not GAGB - well true. But don't for one moment think the two can be considered separate. After all it was set up originally by ALL the UK GC.COM moderators (plus a couple of others). They are claiming to be THE voice of geocaching in the UK. They are trying to put together guidelines/rules to which ALL UK geocachers must abide. One of our current two moderators is a founder member, the other - well we don't know.

This may or may not be a good/bad thing but don't fool yourself into thinking they are separate.

As you might guess I am not a member of GAG Britain but as an independent UK geocacher, because of the influence they are trying to make on UK geocaching I DO take an interest in what's going on.

Finally PLEASE don't take this as a rant and start another session of flaming. I have tried to put an alternative point of view as politely as possible. OK? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I just looked at gunther's profile again:

quote:
Hi SimonG, unfortunately this is my only means of communication at present on GC.COM as my user id is disabled and my email address a fake to stop annoying emails! But you are correct I do not on the whole object, but I do agree it could be a little presumptious.

I don't quite understand why his user id is disabled, but since he apparently can't post here, I thought I'd do it for him. So there we are.

What's your favourite thing?

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

I don't quite understand why his user id is disabled

I don't understand how he could edit his profile without being logged-in. Surely, he couldn't login if his user-id is "disabled"?

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:

I don't understand how he could edit his profile without being logged-in. Surely, he couldn't login if his user-id is "disabled"?

I think maybe the profiles are hosted on gc.com 'proper', but the forums are by ubbx (someother site??). But how/why you would be disabled at one and not the other I dont know... Can a Mod ban you out of the forums only?? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

I'm pretty sure Gunther never did anything to get himself banned - he left of his own choosing. Team Paradise suggested above that he asked for his account to be removed from the forum. I don't really remember, but that could be it.

From another topic...

'Gunther: OK then I resign,, Jeremy (Groundspeak boss man please remove my user id) bye bye'

That was the last we saw of him...

quote:

I think his account is only disabled because the email address is invalid. It'd be silly of GC.com not to allow disabled users to edit their profiles because, otherwise, how could they change their email addresses? icon_wink.gif

I'm not aware of any way that you can truly delete yourself from GC.com (such an option could play havoc with database integrity), though I expect the admins have a way to lock someone out.

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

----------------Icenians---------------------

I don’t agree that you should make your point then naff off. Very bad form.

Stick to your guns and carry on. Or we will be left with ….. well you know what. The game needs people like you for a balanced view.

***NOT*** a Member of or Supporter of Geocaching Association of Great Britain******

quote:
Originally posted by L8 Ed:

----------------

Or we will be left with ….. well you know what.

***NOT*** a Member of or Supporter of Geocaching Association of Great Britain******

let us in on the secret, What will we be left with? The only thing I can think of is a bottle of tonic icon_smile.gif

Nige

The Northumbrian is a member of The Geocaching Association of Great Britain

quote:

----------------Icenians---------------------

I don’t agree that you should make your point then naff off. Very bad form.

Stick to your guns and carry on. Or we will be left with ….. well you know what. The game needs people like you for a balanced view.

Oh I'm still here. I haven't left the game!

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

quote:

----------------

Or we will be left with ….. well you know what.

let us in on the secret, What will we be left with? The only thing I can think of is a bottle of tonic icon_smile.gif

Nige

Exactly, take away the Gin and Tonic becomes undesirable. (and this is true the other way round)

quote:

----------------

exactly, take away the Gin and Tonic becomes undesirable. (and this is true the other way round)

Still no wiser to what your on about icon_confused.gif

Any chance of you stop trying to play the riddler and lets have it in plain English ,TO the point for all to see?

Nige

Oh dear oh dear. In simple terms the analogy,(not riddle) means that we need people like Icenians just as much as we need people like The Northumbrian.

OK.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hungry Caterpillars:

Sorry to have to admit this L8Ed but being a bit thick could you tell me what all those*** *** ****** stand for or are they too naughty to translate. I ask just to make sure that you are not a member of GAGB and the *s do not qualify the statement in any way icon_confused.gificon_smile.gif

Dont know why these *** came up. There was no text that they replaced. I tryed to remove them to no avail. changed sig lets see if they have gone. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Dont know why these *** came up. There was no text that they replaced. I tryed to remove them to no avail. changed sig lets see if they have gone. icon_smile.gif

Try signing out of the site and then back in again to see if your changes get updated

AUT PAX AUT BELLUM

Yes they have gone.What a pity that they did not represent naughty words.We agree with you that it is a good idea to have dissident voices as it helps change and modification take place.However bringing about change is a lot more easily done from the inside-in effect it gives you a stronger voice.We think if you look at what GAGB has done in response to criticism is change probably for the better .In the near future it will probably need constructive criticism from the inside.You can only do this by being a member. icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif